Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

New Owner... Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner... Need Some Help

Well I just recently bought a 1996 Volvo 850 turbo with 201kms and auto.

Apparently the car wasn't running at all, but I had them boost the car and it fired up up and ran perfect lol. Soon as the guy removed the booster pack, the car quit. So was thinking it's either a faulty battery or alternator. Anyway, bought a new battery because the old one had a wreckers number on the side of it and I figured it's cheap assurance when I drive the car. Now the car runs... Took it up the road, it handles great and it has a load of power lol.

But the problem I have now is every light is on the dash. First the car wouldn't turn over and the hazard lights were on. Then I disconnected and reconnected the battery and everything was fine. Car fired right up. But for some reason the cel, e-brake, alternator, battery, and a load of others are on.

Any ideas??? I thought it was maybe an alarm feature... Radio also doesn't turn on.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Does the car start now? If the alarm is going off, i.e., lights flashing, all you have to do is lock and unlock the drivers door with the key. That will reset the alarm.

Now if you start the car and some things don't work, you likely have a bad ignition switch. You can juggle the key a little (or turn it back a little after it starts) and everything should be fine.

If all the dash lights are on after the car starts, you are likely running on battery and not for long. Either you have a bad wire somewhere or a bad alternator. That may be why they parked it in the first place.
------------------------
Have you read the NEW 850 OWNER thread yet?

Last edited by rspi; 05-04-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-04-2012, 11:42 PM

I actually bought the car off a Volvo dealer who was going to scrap it lol... Seemed like a waste.

I tried to giggle the switch and the radio still doesn't work. There was a red light flashing on the stereo when the parking lights were flashing, now there isn't. I thought if the alternator isn't charging, the car may have some sort of safety mod. I'll put a multimeter on the battery to see if it's charging right.

I did read though the owner thread and gathered a little info... Timing belt was done at 182km in 08 so it should be fine. A/C apparently doesn't work, so that is either the evaporator, compressor, leak, or low freon. HVAC fan also doesn't turn on at all... I can hear the relay click when I turn it on, but no air movement. Would that be a seized blower motor or resistor block???

Old 05-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Administrator

So, does the car start?

You can pull the fan and put 12v to it and see if it turns. They really take off so watch your fingers and everthing else around.
Blower Motor Removal - Volvo 850

Old 05-05-2012, 09:48 AM

Yes the car starts and runs.

Thank you for the blower motor link!

Old 05-08-2012, 02:01 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As strange as it may sound you may need to replace the ignition switch. There are various threads from people with various electrical gremlins and a lot of them stem from the ignition switch not making proper contact. I would intermittently lose cruise control and get a couple idiot lights at odd times. Couldn't figure it out and ran across a posting about how the ignition switch can cause idiot lights to randomly come on. I changed mine out and it cured my cruise and warning light problem. The idiot lights is a common symptom of the ignition switch going out if the car is running OK otherwise.

Attached Thumbnails New Owner... Need Some Help-ign-switch-connectors.jpg   New Owner... Need Some Help-ign-switch-side.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 05-08-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:50 AM

Would you have a link handy on replacing the ign. switch? My tach and cruze both quit at different times and intermittently. I realize there is a ton of other things that could cause this but I have covered most of them except for the switch. Never suspected that!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Administrator

It's pretty easy, I'm working on instructions but have not done them yet. I think I have all the pics.

1. Remove the screws from the bottom of the steering colum. I think there is 4 of them.
2. Work the covers off the colum. You may have to use the key to unlock the steering wheel.
3. Once the colum covers are off, you will see the 2 screws that hold the switch to the colum, remove those 2 flat head screws.
4. Unplug the switch and remove it.
5. When you go to put the new one on, make sure you line up the stem.

Easy.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Administrator

I pulled the steering wheel when I did mine. That might not be necessary.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=37398

Old 05-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

I am not thinking its the ignition switch. I started my car once without the serpentine belt on. All the dash lights came on and stayed on.

Point being, your battery was dead, probably because your alternator is toast. No alternator=dash lights on.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Administrator

The thread starts out three weeks ago so I guess I'm taking it for granted the alternator was checked at the time the battery was replaced as the battery would be dead by now if the alternator was bad. There is a chance the alternator is only partially bad and is putting out some amperage but not what it should. ProStreetDriver, wouldn't hurt to have it tested just in case. Most auto parts stores have a hand held unit where then can do it for you with the alternator still in the car.
He did say he disconnected power after the battery was replaced so that should have reset the lights if they were a holdover from the battery failing.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 05-09-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Administrator

I have had several ignition switch problem in a few cars and never got lights. Just weird electrical problems.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:19 PM

Sorry everyone for the late reply... I've been fairly busy the last little while, school just started.

Took the alternator in and had it rebuilt. The bearing and slip ring was gone. Will have it back in this weekend hopefully and I'll see how it runs then.

Thank you everyone for the input

Old 05-13-2012, 10:29 PM

Good news... Got everything back together and the car runs perfect. No my Christmas tree dash.