Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

newbie with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie with some questions

hey guys,
need some help did alot of searches, and recieved conflicting answers. bought my first 2001 s60 , great interior , great drivetrain and suspension. body needs some work. now i would like to replace my rear bumper . my understanding 2001,09 are the same basically do the parts interchange ( the front and rear bumper ). on the 2001 there is a black trim that goes all around my car i noticed on other s60 it is painted, there was a thread on here but it was for a different model . do the plastic pieces just pop out or do i have to take the inner door apart to take the plastic piece off..... last thing i was told that aftermarket remote start are a problem for these cars is this true ????? thank you
tony

Old 01-01-2010, 10:31 PM

In last Sunday's Minneapolis paper there was an article about remote start systems in which they interviewed one of the bigger installers in the metro area. According to him, Volvos are very difficult to adapt due to the immobilizer, security system, and various computer modules in the car. Labor alone could run over $400, and he really didn't even want to touch them. Unless you are a Volvo expert, it is not a DIY project. This pretty much confirms what I have read in various forums.

Beginning 2005 the body side mouldings are painted the same as the body color - older models are black. I believe the trim on the middle of the door is held on with adhesive or double-sided tape. From the pix in Vadis, it appears that the lower door moulding, the piece with the side marker light, and the rocker panel moulding are held on with a combination of clips and screws. Some people have removed them and painted them to match the body, but it does not appear to be a quick and easy deal. Some have said they could be sanded and painted while on the car, but that would be a delicate job. Go to swedespeed.com and do a search - a few posters on there have painted theirs and tell how they did it.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:19 AM

MN2.5T thank you for your help......

Old 01-06-2010, 04:52 PM

In last Sunday's Minneapolis paper there was an article about remote start systems in which they interviewed one of the bigger installers in the metro area. According to him, Volvos are very difficult to adapt due to the immobilizer, security system, and various computer modules in the car. Labor alone could run over $400, and he really didn't even want to touch them. Unless you are a Volvo expert, it is not a DIY project. This pretty much confirms what I have read in various forums.
Correct - I had one on my 01... it never really worked right just SORT OF and a VERY reputable shop did mine