Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Is it ok to push hard brand new S60 (MY20)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it ok to push hard brand new S60 (MY20)?

Is it ok to push hard brand new S60 (MY20)? I cannot find anything in manual that mentions that its better to take it easy for first few 1000s kms so any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:54 PM

This is a critical time for your engine, and the longevity of your engine depends on it. In almost all cases you should always keep the RPMs below a certain threshold value on a brand new engine for a few thousand miles to "break-in' the engine and allow the piston rings to seat properly. That is why most new cars are supposed to come in for the FIRST oil change after only a couple thousand miles. There will be a lot of metal on metal wear early in the life of the engine while everything beds in. Once past the break-in period, you want to change the oil and filter to get rid of all the metal particles.

There are only a few exceptions where the engines are already broken in on an engine dyno before being installed in the vehicle. That is an expensive and time consuming process and is only really done on very high end low production volume engines (e.g. Acura NSX)

Bottom line, when in doubt, follow common break-in procedure. It will not hurt, but not following it can significantly increase oil consumption, reduce compression (increase blow-by), and shorten the life of your engine.

Old 03-02-2020, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by budleach
This is a critical time for your engine, and the longevity of your engine depends on it. In almost all cases you should always keep the RPMs below a certain threshold value on a brand new engine for a few thousand miles to "break-in' the engine and allow the piston rings to seat properly. That is why most new cars are supposed to come in for the FIRST oil change after only a couple thousand miles. There will be a lot of metal on metal wear early in the life of the engine while everything beds in. Once past the break-in period, you want to change the oil and filter to get rid of all the metal particles.

There are only a few exceptions where the engines are already broken in on an engine dyno before being installed in the vehicle. That is an expensive and time consuming process and is only really done on very high end low production volume engines (e.g. Acura NSX)

Bottom line, when in doubt, follow common break-in procedure. It will not hurt, but not following it can significantly increase oil consumption, reduce compression (increase blow-by), and shorten the life of your engine.
Thanks for detailed answer, much appreciated. So I read that 3000kms would probably be minimum to play it safe? And common break in procedure is just taking it easy on the engine or anything more specific ?