Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

P0700 P0733 P0734 Volvo transmission problem fixed

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0700 P0733 P0734 Volvo transmission problem fixed

Just wanted to share my experience with my 2001 Volvo S60 base model (115,000 miles), the transmission error codes I just got p0733, p0734, p0735, p0740, and how I resolved the issue.

Hopefully this will provide another option than handing the dealership $5,000 for a rebuilt transmission.

Out of nowhere I got the Urgent Transmission service needed error message, and the car goes into limp mode. I call dealer for advice, and they say I'm probably looking at a rebuilt tranny, which they will happily do for around $5,000. I asked about a flush, they say if there's fluid in the tranny, a flush is not necessary. Worthless stealership. No help at all in this case.

Before I get dry raped by Volvo, I figured I'd try a few things on my own. I had a feeling the issue was with my fluid. My car and transmission were running FINE before these codes came up, so I figured I'd get it flushed. I went to an independent repair shop and said I wanted to change the ATF fluid. The cost to put Valvoline Maxlife fluid in (compatible with the S60 according to Valvoline and Volvo) was $150 out the door. What the hell, right?

Well, after the transmission flush, my 2001 Volvo S60 has been running perfectly! Codes are gone, and 250 miles later, shifts fine, etc.

I'd personally like to shout out a big FLUCK YOU" to the multiple service advisors I spoke with at two different Volvo dealerships who wouldn't even consider a flush.

The moral of the story is, when in doubt, flush.

Sorry for the long winded story, but hopefully this helps someone.

Last edited by MarkyMarc; 01-20-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

At the dealer, we have to be able to warranty out work. Those codes are for incorrect gear ratio, which means slippage in other words. Your flush was likely a bandaid. If you bring the car in for that and I flush and it comes back a year later with the same code, you won't be too happy. Then you'll complain we wasted your money on a flush.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:46 AM

Thanks for your response.

For some reason, NOBODY (you, dealer service advisers, indy service advisers) is giving this flush an opportunity to remedy my transmission issues. Instead, everyone would rather have me spend $5,000 on a rebuilt transmission.

I'm hoping my flush is more than a bandaid. So far so good, but time will tell...

Old 12-10-2015, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Also, your transmission is slipping. Let's say you bring it in and I flush the fluid. Now, with the brand new fluid, it slips worse. So bad it doesn't even move when hot. Who pays for the trans now?

That is why no one wants to flush a trans that already has codes for slippage. It's not because everyone is out to "dry rape" you.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:33 PM

If the Volvo service adviser would have said to me, just bring your car in and we'll try a flush, I would have done so because I have been brainwashed to believe that the dealership knows my Volvo best and cares about me. At $550.00 for a flush at the dealer, I would have been very happy (despite the price gouging), as it would have fixed my problem. And yes, selling me a $5,000 transmission I didn't need is probably the equivalent of a dry rape. The point is, neither Volvo dealership even gave me the option of a flush, nor allowed me to decide whether it was worth the risk.

And that crap about the dealership absorbing any responsibility for transmission failure after doing a flush - that's laughable. Volvo service advisers never do a transmission flush before first verbalizing their disclaimer, then requiring me to sign their disclaimer acknowledging that Volvo tranny fluid never, ever needs to be changed, and doing so could worsen the issue, or render the tranny useless, blah, blah blah. The answer to your question that you, me, and everyone else knows is that I would pay for a new transmission if I got a flush that made things worse. NEVER would Volvo allow themselves to be responsible for that.

In regards to your last sentence..... that's garbage. The reason "no one wants to flush a trans that already has codes for slippage" is because they'd rather bring in $5000 in revenue than a fraction of that for a flush. The Independent Shop I took my Volvo to for the flush also thought my transmission was shot too (read: wanted to sell me a new transmission), but at least they gave me the option of trying a flush, rather than trying to bend me over immediately like the Stealership did.

The moral of this story is, if your Volvo has a transmission codes popping up out of nowhere like mine did, you might want to look into getting the old fluid flushed - just in case that's all it needed (regardless of what your friendly, caring Volvo dealership service advisers tell you).

Last edited by MarkyMarc; 01-20-2016 at 12:30 PM.