Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power Steering and Clutch issues simultaneously

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering and Clutch issues simultaneously

My wife used to drive our 2004 Volvo S60 (manual transmission) but it's been parked for a while. I don't know what she did to it, or if it just happened out of the blue, but the power steering is shot, and the clutch doesn't want to engage until you are at the end of the pedal, and then it feels like it is still slipping a bit. I thought I would try fixing the power steering first so I went and got some proper fluid and added it to the reservoir. It was moaning and groaning and eventually I realized it was puking it all over the driveway so I stopped the process. I jacked the car up but can't really tell exactly where it is coming from. I do not see any visible signs of broken lines and the reservoir seems intact. There is no indication that the pump is leaking. I assume it is the steering rack or something in that area. I am curious if there is any relationship between the power steering hydraulic system (Boost?) and the clutch system? It just seems really odd that it would go out at the same time. I looked for the clutch fluid reservoir but couldn't find it. That's what make me wonder if it shares it with the steering reservoir. Or, I have also heard about sharing with the brake system, but I can't point to any specific evidence of that on my car. Of course I can't see everything at this point. I could really use some guidance. Any thoughts appreciated.