Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Proud New owner of a 04' T5 with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proud New owner of a 04' T5 with a few questions

I recently picked of a 2004 S60 T5 Auto w/117k miles and I am looking for some advice.

First question I have is where can I find an owners manual? I would like to know if there are pdf versions of it.

Second thing is I would like to do all required maintenance of this car that is required. I would like suggestions although finding a owners manual would probably answer most of them.

1. What transmission Fluid do I need? Do I drain an fill or do the poor mans flush by disconnecting the cooler line and power flushing?

2. Does the power steering fluid take regular PS fluid?

3. Engine oil? I use Motorcraft synthetic blend in all my other cars/trucks.

4. Coolant? I usually use what the manufacturer recommends.

The car is lowered so I have the infamous tire rub when turning. This is really turning off the women to the car so I've done some reading and here's what I've come up with;

1. Replace stops,

2. Remove a metal plate that the tires rubs in the inside fender,

3. 5mm Spacers

4. Remove lowering kit(if all else fails). Anyone what to trade or stock T5 springs?

My Drivers heater seat doesn't work, but the passenger does.

The car has aftermarket HIDs installed and I'm already annoyed by the message that my low beams are malfunctioning. Is there a diode or anything I can install to prevent this message?

I have, iirc, a engine code p0443. I know it was some sort of emissions code(maybe a P0442) so could this be the gas cap? I will double check to make sure that's the right code.

Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you!

Last edited by mechanicboy; 01-02-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:50 PM

nothing?

Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 AM

Not sure what a power flush is but, removing the cooler line is the preferred way of changing the transmission fluid. I would buy an extra clip or two, that hold the line in, before you start since they tend to get brittle. Mobil makes a transmission fluid that's about 1/3 the price of the volvo fluid. Do a search, it's been discussed at length. I would check to see if the timing belt has been replaced. Another problem area are the seals on the oil pump pickup in the pan. They get hard, crack, and let the oil pump suck air and spin the bearings. Keep the oil changed. The way the head is designed it holds oil below the cams and gets cooked by the exhaust manifold after you shut the motor off. I don't know anything about lowering the vehicle. It already sits pretty low and the wheels rub slightly at full lock.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome.

Haynes produces a hard copy manual. For electronic manuals, VIDA or VADIS (previous version) is the official service manual. You can buy bootlegs on ebay or find it other ways. It's a large program but it covers all models.

Service intervals for 2004 models can be found at volvocars.com linky.

The alternative to Volvo ATF is Mobil 3309 or Toyota T-IV. It's worth reading the Sticky at the top of this sub-forum. Disconnecting the cooler line is the recommended method because it replaces more fluid than just a drain and fill. I've done it both ways. It's so much easier for me to do the drain and fill during an oil change, so that is the way I choose.

I thought I read somewhere to use ATF for the PS fluid. I don't know if that is correct but it's what I use.

If you are happy with Motorcraft stick with it. A blend is not as bad as full dino oil but for a couple of bucks more I try to use full synthetic. But it all comes down to what you like.

I have read several users saying they use whatever they want and have no issues (ie. Prestone, Zerex, Peak). Just be sure to follow the recommended service intervals of the fluid you choose.

Tire rubbing is an issue on all S60 models with 16" wheels or larger. I think spacers are the best solution. So if you like the lowered stance, keep it.

Not sure on the heated seat. Could be something loose or dirty/corroded.

I don't have experience with the HIDs but I have read about them. I never really liked the idea of buying extra stuff to get something to work. I read about one of the shunts in the CEM. If you alter it slightly you will not get the message, but be careful, if you get it wrong you have to replace the shunt. Instructions linky Note: I read on another site to try using a 1mm drill bit. They had better luck with 1mm vs 2mm stated in the directions.

If you have P0443 one guess is the Purge Control Valve needs replacing. If it is P0442 it might be the J hose that is damaged.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 PM

Thanks For the help. I will definitely be getting a manual for this as I plan to have this car for at least 5 years if I can get the women to like it as much as I do.

I have had Haynes manuals be wrong in the past so I'm not a huge fan of them. Perhaps I'll try one of those bootleg versions on ebay.

If the Mobil trans fluid is working well for you guys then that is what I will use but I will read the sticky first.

Being as the S60 rubs even at stock height I guess I will get the spacer anyway and see if that will make my women happy or else I will have to find stock springs.

The heated seat is a good selling point so is there a way to ohm test the heater element to make sure it's good? Any ideas what the OHM reading should be?

I'm not sure what the CEM is so I will search it.

I'm going to have my smog tech check my gas cap and if he says it's good I guess I'll be check the J hose.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:29 PM

Out of curiosity, what color is the transmission fluid supposted to be? Is is red like most transmission fluids? I say most because I know some are special fluid and start out darker, even grayish sometimes.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 PM

I found this post while searching the heated seat issue: troubleshooting linky. (It's info for the 850 but I don't think much has changed, if any.)

The trans fluid is red in color.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:44 AM

That's a good link, thanks fast.

Yesterday I call the stealership and they wanted $26/L (quart) for the transmission fluid! I need to call the toyota dealer today.

Last edited by mechanicboy; 01-08-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:21 PM

I did some more checking on the heated seat. I didn't think there were separate fuses for driver's and passenger's seats, but there are. On the 2004 model it should be located in the fuse panel located at the driver's side door jam/dashboard area. Here's the link I used: down near the bottom of the page Fuse #7, 15 amps. Hopefully that is all that it is.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by 01_fast_ride
I did some more checking on the heated seat. I didn't think there were separate fuses for driver's and passenger's seats, but there are. On the 2004 model it should be located in the fuse panel located at the driver's side door jam/dashboard area. Here's the link I used: down near the bottom of the page Fuse #7, 15 amps. Hopefully that is all that it is.
Yea I found that last night also, they are both good.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM

Well the good news is it looks like my timing belt was replaced(look at picture) but the bad news is my lower springs are actually torched stock springs, anyone have springs they want to sell?

I'm going to check my spark plugs tomorrow after it cools down. I will also be flushing the transmission and changing the engine oil. How to you reset the oil change reminder(it's not one yet but I'm doing it anyway)?

Attached Thumbnails Proud New owner of a 04' T5 with a few questions-20130110_143609%5B1%5D.jpg   Proud New owner of a 04' T5 with a few questions-20130110_142237%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Default owners manuals

www.volvocars.com/us

Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by mechanicboy
Yea I found that last night also, they are both good.
Originally Posted by urbino
www.volvocars.com/us
Tried that and it didn't work.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:08 PM

Hi there. I own a 2004 s60 t5. Im running stock tires. 235 45 r17's. I find that i have the rubbing noise too when i try to make a u-turn or just take tight turns. I checked and the inside of my tire is worn off and there is a metal part on the inside fender that shows wearing out. I am curious as to what the problem is . Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:52 PM

get extra trans line clips.if you DIY........these always snap mine did !!

Last edited by torontos80t62000; 05-27-2013 at 04:54 PM.