Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Q's from a potential new V60 owner.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q's from a potential new V60 owner.

I am looking at a CPO V60 as a potential replacement to my VW SportWagen (VW is buying the thing back because of the emissions scandal). And while I owned Volvos in the past (850, 740), things have changed quite a bit, and I have a few questions.

What's the deal with the rear cameras? In reading various threads here, it seems that some have it, some don't, some have the wiring for it, some don't? It came as standard equipment with VW, and it kind of blows my mind that it is optional with Volvo, and once you get used to having the thing, it is hard to go back.

What's the deal with spare tires? I like the fact that I currently have a full-sized spare (my wife has a VW with the sound-system upgrade, and to accommodate the sub-woofer, they downgrade you to the donut spare). Do any cars ever come with these things, or is it something that dealers can install for you? I have seen things online where people use a hacksaw on their trunk liner to cut a hole to accommodate a real spare, and that seems like a horrible hack to me. But in that case, it seemed like a full-sized spare.

My last 3 cars (including the 850) had a manual transmission. I rather dislike automatics, but I am resigned to giving that one up, since it seems that few manufacturers bother to ship manuals to the U.S. The 740 had an automatic (with the ZF transmission) which had "issues", and I was glad to get rid of that thing before the thing managed to blow out all of the seals. I have avoided automatics ever since. But having said all of that, how are the automatics on the V60? Are they really solid, or are there issues I need to be aware of?

Are there any other gotchas that I need to be aware of? Specific options/upgrades to be avoided? Specific things I need to ask about before I buy anything? Anything else notable that has changed since I had the Volvo 850?

Thanks in advance for any of your thoughts.