Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question about S60 reliability

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 04:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about S60 reliability

I'm looking at possibly getting a 2003 S60 with 286,939 km on it and have a question or two. I'm new to Volvos and have heard they are very reliable. I'll be replacing a 2005 Ford Taurus wagon. Might also consider the V70 but the S60 seems a little more attractive.

First am I pushing my luck with that many Kilometers on it?

Second what should I look for when I take it out for a test drive and what should I expect for maintenance issues?

Thanks for your information.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:40 AM
Banned

Hey IanChristie1972,

Firstly, welcome to Volvo Forums!

About the S60, if you're living in a state with lots of snow, check the undercarriage etc for rust. If there's rust you might as well just pass. Volvos are very reliable as long as they have had a good owner and regular services as well as oil changes I guess. Volvos are built like tanks, my old V40 ran to 141000km until I sold it but it ran like a dream (well it was a fleet vehicle before I bought it and it didn't have a very good owner before me).

As for the kilometres, you should be looking at the service records. Control arms and other various parts such as the timing belt need to be replaced at about 8 years of age. When you take it for a test drive, see how the transmission fairs and whether the steering is responsive. Don't forget to make sure that there are no fault lights and that the A/C blows (this may sound dumb but it stopped working on my V40 once). Make sure that there are service records and consistent km's too if you can.

If the dealer lets you drive the car by yourself without the supervision of one of their staff, maybe give it a rinse just to see whether all of the door sills are still intact and they don't leak any water. If this is the case get it fixed before you buy the car otherwise you'll be kicking yourself later!

If this is the car for you then definitely buy it! Volvos are very fun to drive and reliable. You won't regret your purchase if you buy the right car. Let us know if you have any more questions - that's what we're here for.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will have to disagree with the previous poster. Post 2000 Volvos have known and expensive issues. A car that has near 300K km will definitely need repairs. Yes, the engines can last for very long, but there are other components known to fail. What you have heard that Volvo are very reliable cars is a myth today. It comes from older Volvo models that were durable, the later models are not as good. Between a Volvo, a Mercedes, a Bmw and an Audi I would still choose a Volvo because it will break less often, but that's not to say that buying a Volvo is buying a hassle free car.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:06 AM
Banned

Oragex, have you owned a post 2000 Volvo? My V50 did have known and expensive issues, I agree with you due to general wear and tear. However, my 1997 V40 had WAY more issues than the V50 and I still have records of it. Cars with nearly 300K may need repairs, yes, but if they have been regularly serviced and checked before sale then it might last longer. I mean name me a car that can last until 300K without repairs. Volvos are quite reliable depending on how you treat it (whether you service it regularly and keep it well maintained). Obviously a badly maintained vehicle is not going to last you very long. I have never broken down in any of my Volvos and the brand has improved so much since the day that I picked up my V40 in '98. Other components in engines etc in ANY car are known to fail and no car will last forever. I agree with your opinion on other manufacturers as the brands that you have listed tend to break down quite easily/need fixing more often.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, yes I own a 2003 model. The issues I mention are from all users on a couple of Volvo forums, as well as people I know in my area than also drive them. The thing is, these cars develop the same issues and the question is whether the previous owner has fixed them or not. If someone happens to buy a car with 200K miles that has all the issues fixed by it's owner, that car will prove surprisingly reliable for such high miles. But if the repairs were not done at the right moment, it will be a money pit especially if repaired at a Volvo dealer which asks very high prices. Common issues are the shocks, suspension bushings, pcv system, alternator, fan blower, instrument panel, transmission, cem module, wheel bearings, turbo accessories.

As for the first owner, I've seen a 2003 V70 (similar model and engine with the S60) with around 480.000km still running that was driven mostly on highway by a sales representative. He did all the typical repairs and the engine kept well although it was tired at this point. If the vehicle with 280.000km has also been highway driven It could still last for say another 50.000km, but repairs are needed to be expected.