Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Release Serpentine Belt Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Release Serpentine Belt Tensioner

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2002 S60 AWD with a 2.4L turbo. I can't figure out how to release the serp belt tensioner to replace the belt. It looks like it might be a torx or allen bit, but I'm not sure. I want to create some type of tool because I can hardly get my hand down there, but need to know the size.

Thanks.

Nick

Old 03-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I always pop the plastic cap off the tensioner pulley and use a 14MM wrench.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by tech
I always pop the plastic cap off the tensioner pulley and use a 14MM wrench.
Duh, thanks. I kept looking at pictures of replacement tensioners and and saw the bolt and wondered why mine didn't have one.

Thanks for the help tech.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by nalonge
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2002 S60 AWD with a 2.4L turbo. I can't figure out how to release the serp belt tensioner to replace the belt. It looks like it might be a torx or allen bit, but I'm not sure. I want to create some type of tool because I can hardly get my hand down there, but need to know the size.

Thanks.

Nick
I just installed a new power steering pump and alternator on my 2004 Volvo S60 (2.4L Non-Turbo) and had to remove and reinstall the Serpentine belt. I used an L shaped 3/8" Allen wrench (4 1/2" long and 1 3/4" wide) that fit nicely into the slot next to the pully tensioner (I didn't have the right size metric Allen wrench). I then put an 8 " extension pipe extension over the Allen wrench for leverage............any type of small diameter metal pipe will work for this purpose. Worked well by pulling the Allen wrench forward and the belt was easily removed.......it is a challenge to reinstall the belt to hold it in place by pulling the belt tight so it doesn't come off the engine pully or A/C pulley especially where the pulley goes from the engine pully to the alternator pulley and then down to the A/C pulley......I see why the call it a Serpendine belt now! When reinstalling the belt, the Allen wrench MUST go in below the belt that passes around the tensioner and the slot......if you insert the Allen wrench above the slot, it will put pressure on the belt and you won't have enough slack to push the belt over the last pulley......in my case I used the power steering pulley as my final belt slip on point. Also, Just make sure you diagram your belt and pulleys layout on a piece of paper before you remove it......I had a chart from Volvo parts department but it was incorrect and for a diesel vehicle......I had to call a Volvo mechanic who coached me to draw the belt path. Also, since I had to drain the power steering pump reservoir and hose from it to the power steering pump anyway, and with that hose out of the way, it does give you more room to access the belt to the pulleys and to insert the Allen wrench. PM me if you'd like me to send you a hand drawn path for the belt on the pulleys.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:49 PM

So you didn't actually remove the cap to get to the 14mm bolt?

Thanks for the tips!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:38 PM

So you didn't actually remove the cap to get to the 14mm bolt?

Thanks for the tips!
I didn't use any wrench on the 14MM bolt on the tensioner at all to release the belt..........instead I used the slot (small hole) next to the automatic tensioner pully where you insert the Allen wrench and follow the procedure I outlined in my post above. Place your hand down next to the tensioner pully, slightly to the right, and you will feel the small slot. You can also see it with a flash light.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:18 PM

Here's a photo of an automatic tensioner assembly with pulley I found on www.swedishautoparts.com where you see the small hole where you insert the Allen wrench for releasing the Serpentine belt tension.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:19 PM

Perfect, I see what you mean. So it's a 3/8" Allen? That one looks like a Torx. I have both bit sets so I should have something that fits.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:09 AM

Ok, so the 3/8 inch allen wrench fit perfect, and the pipe gave me leverage. I pulled the wrench towards the from of the car and the tensioner moved. The belt seemed to tighten though, so I tried to move the wrench towards the back of the car. No luck. I pulled forward again and the tensioned moved, then the hole where the wrench was broke. No I have to replace the tensioner, which is ok because I probably should od it anyways.

The alternator was just swapped before I picked the car up. I wonder if they installed the belt the wrong way and that's why I didn't get any slack when releiving the tensioner.

Next question: Anyone have tips for removing the tensioner? I can't even see the bolts that hold it in.

Nick

Old 03-16-2009, 06:40 AM

Ok, so the 3/8 inch allen wrench fit perfect, and the pipe gave me leverage. I pulled the wrench towards the from of the car and the tensioner moved. The belt seemed to tighten though, so I tried to move the wrench towards the back of the car. No luck. I pulled forward again and the tensioned moved, then the hole where the wrench was broke. No I have to replace the tensioner, which is ok because I probably should od it anyways.

The alternator was just swapped before I picked the car up. I wonder if they installed the belt the wrong way and that's why I didn't get any slack when releiving the tensioner.

Next question: Anyone have tips for removing the tensioner? I can't even see the bolts that hold it in.

Nick
I advised about the position of the Allen wrench in relation to the belt in my prior lengthy posting: You MUST insert the wrench BELOW the belt, not above the belt. Otherwise, when you pull on the wrench, you will be putting pressure on the belt and cause it to tighten up, not loosen.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:48 AM

I did have the wrench under the belt. Here's what I figured out though. The person that swapped the alternator routed the belt wrong. Picture the belt going over the top of the tensioner, and not under. So the tensioner was doing nothing at all. I'm not ever sure how he got the belt on. I should have realized something was wrong when the belt didn't loosen.

I can cut the belt off, but need to find another method of pushing the tensioner back so I can slip the new belt on.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Default Belt Path Diagram

Here's the belt path:

Attached Thumbnails Release Serpentine Belt Tensioner-s60belt.jpg  
Old 03-17-2009, 02:11 PM

Mine was for sure routed wrong after seeing your diagram. They went over the top of the alternator, then continued over the top of the tensioner and down the left side.

I think there might be enough left of the piece that broke off that I would get a torx bit in there to grab on a little. I thought somewhere I read someone put a c-clamp on and used that. I'm open to any other suggestions if anyone has any (other then replacing it).

Old 06-23-2023, 06:40 PM
Default Serpentine Belt

Originally Posted by mcleantmw
I just installed a new power steering pump and alternator on my 2004 Volvo S60 (2.4L Non-Turbo) and had to remove and reinstall the Serpentine belt. I used an L shaped 3/8" Allen wrench (4 1/2" long and 1 3/4" wide) that fit nicely into the slot next to the pully tensioner (I didn't have the right size metric Allen wrench). I then put an 8 " extension pipe extension over the Allen wrench for leverage............any type of small diameter metal pipe will work for this purpose. Worked well by pulling the Allen wrench forward and the belt was easily removed.......it is a challenge to reinstall the belt to hold it in place by pulling the belt tight so it doesn't come off the engine pully or A/C pulley especially where the pulley goes from the engine pully to the alternator pulley and then down to the A/C pulley......I see why the call it a Serpendine belt now! When reinstalling the belt, the Allen wrench MUST go in below the belt that passes around the tensioner and the slot......if you insert the Allen wrench above the slot, it will put pressure on the belt and you won't have enough slack to push the belt over the last pulley......in my case I used the power steering pulley as my final belt slip on point. Also, Just make sure you diagram your belt and pulleys layout on a piece of paper before you remove it......I had a chart from Volvo parts department but it was incorrect and for a diesel vehicle......I had to call a Volvo mechanic who coached me to draw the belt path. Also, since I had to drain the power steering pump reservoir and hose from it to the power steering pump anyway, and with that hose out of the way, it does give you more room to access the belt to the pulleys and to insert the Allen wrench. PM me if you'd like me to send you a hand drawn path for the belt on the pulleys.
What To Use To Tighten Up A Serpentine Belt for volvo s60 2006 and where To Tighten It At

Old 06-26-2023, 10:32 AM
Received 88 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TayeTaye
What To Use To Tighten Up A Serpentine Belt for volvo s60 2006 and where To Tighten It At
You can buy the tool, or use the proper torx fitting and turn back the tensioner (it can be a little tight with a ratchet.) The tensioner has a hole through it for you to insert a pin or screw to lock it in a released position for installation and removal.