Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

S60 Check Engine Light Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S60 Check Engine Light Issues

I have a 2005 S60 with 65,500 miles. I bought it as Certified Used in 2006. For 2 years, I have taken my car to dealer to fix check engine light. The light does not always stay on. It could be on for a month and then off for 3 months. In 2010, they could not figure out why it came on. They updated software and sent me on my way. In Feb 2011 had Camshft Reset Valve replaced. I took it back in July 2011 and had more software updated. Two weeks ago at 60,000 mile maint, I had breather hose replaced.

I took the car back today since the check engine light is still on. Now they tell me I need to replace Camshaft seals/intake and exhaust hubs and intake/exhaust resets and quoted me $2400. If I don't get it fixed immediately, the engine will be damaged beyond repair. (Not sure why they did not tell me to fix it immediately in 2010)

These kinds of repairs should not been needed when a car is at 65,000 miles. I have also replaced starter and battery and tires on this car.
Does this diagnosis sound reasonable?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N1 Exhaust muffler/tip universal

Originally Posted by ASmithReyes
I have a 2005 S60 with 65,500 miles. I bought it as Certified Used in 2006. For 2 years, I have taken my car to dealer to fix check engine light. The light does not always stay on. It could be on for a month and then off for 3 months. In 2010, they could not figure out why it came on. They updated software and sent me on my way. In Feb 2011 had Camshft Reset Valve replaced. I took it back in July 2011 and had more software updated. Two weeks ago at 60,000 mile maint, I had breather hose replaced.

I took the car back today since the check engine light is still on. Now they tell me I need to replace Camshaft seals/intake and exhaust hubs and intake/exhaust resets and quoted me $2400. If I don't get it fixed immediately, the engine will be damaged beyond repair. (Not sure why they did not tell me to fix it immediately in 2010)

These kinds of repairs should not been needed when a car is at 65,000 miles. I have also replaced starter and battery and tires on this car.
Does this diagnosis sound reasonable?
Hey, I got a question. I know this might not be the right place to ask this, because it's on your post thread, however, I just bought a N1 exhaust muffler/tip universal. And, I need to know what part to install before the muffler (because the N1 exhaust is a muffler + tip).

Old 02-24-2012, 04:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd bring up that you have had the continuing issue and they failed to properly diagnose the issue. Was your car still under warranty when you first brought it to there attention? I'd also ask for the area's rep info or contact VCNA to try and get the issue covered.

Or if anything see about getting another opinion from another dealer or indie shop.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mad Matt
I'd bring up that you have had the continuing issue and they failed to properly diagnose the issue. Was your car still under warranty when you first brought it to there attention? I'd also ask for the area's rep info or contact VCNA to try and get the issue covered.

Or if anything see about getting another opinion from another dealer or indie shop.
Agreed. This issue should have been rectified long ago. It looks like either the service personnel do not know what they are doing or the dealership is taking you for a ride.

The way to properly diagnose and repair the problem is to test all parts of the particular system in question. It seems to me that this is not being done, however, I am not there to ask the service techs. A good tech will also ask the owner many questions about any symptoms observed while driving. It seems the service personnel are only chasing the symptoms without correcting the root problem.

If your state has a "Lemon Law" regarding motor vehicles and you have kept all of the records for service done you may have an another avenue to pursue.