Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

s60-r turbo size

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s60-r turbo size

Whats the stock turbo size of a 2004 volvo s60r? im used to dsms with 14b 16g sizes, but what is the turbo called ect. i think my car has a turbo upgrade trying to figure out a few things,

Old 06-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock turbo is a K24.
If you have an upgraded turbo it was a 100% custom job or you have a hybrid K24/26.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:09 PM

it just feels smaller, like from a t5 or somthing. power drops massively at 4k rpm maybe to much heat? its over 100 degrees out. should a fmic help? and is a front mount intercooler better than my twin set up?

Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by range hadies
it just feels smaller, like from a t5 or somthing. power drops massively at 4k rpm maybe to much heat? its over 100 degrees out.
Heat will be a factor in those temps but it'll effect you more in stop and go driving where your car is not getting any airflow to cool the charge air temps.
Do you have a scan tool at all? If so, pull the IAT's while you're driving and while your car is sitting after a the drive.
Check what psi your wastegate is opening at.
Lots of info in this thread about setting the wastegate.
Swedespeed Forums - Wastegate Valve Adjusting

Originally Posted by range hadies
should a fmic help? and is a front mount intercooler better than my twin set up?
A FMIC will help massively for heat soak.
And I've already said it once, a FMIC is night and day better then the twin intercooler that Volvo put in these cars. Don't get hung up on the fact that you have 2 intercoolers. It's more of a gimmick then functionality. They are an extremely poor designed for the 300HP of the R and especially if you plan on running more boost. Seriously, if you're having a hard time believing that one FMIC is better then the twin IC's get on the R Forum on SS and they'll confirm everything I'm saying.
Swedespeed Forums - R Forum (2004-2007)
Have you looked through the R Forum on SS yet?

Last edited by Mad Matt; 06-27-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:53 PM

no i havent, hard to have time to go through stuff, i usually post or reply once maybe three times a day if i have time.

I dont have a boost gauge so i should probably make sure its at 15psi.

Also do you have a picture of the twin intercoolers? ive seen a picture of one intercooler infront of the radiator but i wana see where both are. possible a diagram?

Old 06-27-2012, 07:54 PM

Your wastegate should be opening up at 5.4psi so that's what you'll need to check for.

Here's the two intercoolers. Keep in mind that the large intercooler that does most of the cooling sits right behind the AC condenser in the car.

I thought I posted this pic before but either way this is my car when we were doing the FMIC install. I labeled the radiator, intercooler, AC condenser. The secondary intercooler runs across the front of the AC condenser. You can see the little black hose on the right hand side of the car with the red arrow pointing to it.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:49 PM

oh wait wait! so that big silver one is one intercooler and the little black one is the 2nd?

Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 PM

Correct.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:31 AM

oh! thats pretty big. i though it was two of those small black things.

If its that big how would a fmic do better? is it because of its location?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:04 PM

The location, Sandwiched in the middle of the AC condenser and the radiator, not very good air flow, poorly designed inlet and outlets, lower efficiency rating then a proper FMIC. It's an alright set up if your staying in stock form but if you want to do some tuning, you'll need something better.

Seriously hop on Swedespeed and do some research about it some more so you're not just taking my word for it..

Old 06-28-2012, 02:45 PM

I do like your word though. if its in the middle its going to be hard to install? so the holes are small so even with a bigger front mount with bigger piping the boost lag should in theory drop alot right

Old 06-28-2012, 03:02 PM

Thanks. Lol
It's not that hard of an install, time consuming but not all that hard. You have to remove the two IC's then the new front mount intercooler goes in front of the AC compressor instead of behind it like the OEM IC.
The piping is slightly bigger and the overall volume is increased but not so much that you get a noticeable pressure drop.

Here's where the new FMIC is installed...
Name:  2812825c.jpg
Views: 7761
Size:  153.0 KB

After everything was put back together...
Name:  1ff26630.jpg
Views: 5504
Size:  97.5 KB

Old 06-28-2012, 06:38 PM

that looks pretty sexy! arent there tons of sensors inside the piping of the stock intercooler piping? and where did you buy yours from, did you notice any differences?

Old 06-29-2012, 11:52 AM

Thanks.
Only sensor that you need to worry about is the BPS/MAP sensor. Any FMIC kit on the market will have install instructions with how to attach the sensor to the new piping.
I picked up my FMIC from the classifieds from Swedespeed. It's the Phuzzy motorsports "PhMIC". PhMIC - Autos - Volvo - S60R-V70R - Performance - PhMIC - Phuzzy Motorsports
I was about to get the ViVA FMIC but this one came up for cheap so I snagged it.
I have noticed a huge difference on the warm days since the heat soak is no longer there. The IAT are only about 4-6 degrees above the ambient air temps at cruising speeds.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:11 PM

hey 650 bucks isnt bad either!!! did you have to remove your ac or did the condensor fit behind it? what was the biggest thing you noticed about it once it was installed?

Old 06-29-2012, 06:25 PM

Nope, AC is still there. The condenser moves back to about where the old IC was to make room for the front mount.

Biggest improvement was the throttle response and off the line power. Also there's better response as well as more power available while cruising. It's all gained from the higher efficiency through better location, design and material.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:37 PM

thanks, im still on the fence about doing all this work as i may not keep it, my mpg is horable and not entirely a fan of it. plus the best octane in my state is 91 which is low for what it needs. and no1 can tune my vehicle here to make it better.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:38 AM
04R

I have an 04 r as well and it does the same thing, feels like it looses everything at 4000 rpm. If you come up with a fix let me know! and mad matt i love your lip, where would I look to pick up one of those?

Old 08-02-2012, 12:35 PM

You should check the wastegate setting. If it's too tight you'll get a lot of power up front but it really flattens out later in the RPM range. IIRC the wastegate should be set right around 4.5psi. Mine is up at 7psi so I get a little more power sooner with out loosing power at the top end.

Really good info on setting the wastegate..
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...alve-Adjusting
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...g-it-correctly

My front lip is the OEM Volvo winglets from the sport kit. They're on the spendy side brand new but you may luck out like I did and find them used somewhere.
Driverside...
Genuine Volvo Driver Side Winglet, S60R Sport Kit - ViVA Performance
Passanger side...
Genuine Volvo Passenger Side Winglet, S60R Sport Kit - ViVA Performance