Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

S60 T5 2001 sunroof glass rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S60 T5 2001 sunroof glass rattle

Good morning every Volvo lovers

My sunroof glass of my S60T5 2001 rattle so much,when closed, on bad pavement !
I read few posts regarding this issue...but never found a picture showing how to reach the 4 glass torx screws !
My glass can be pushed up and down when closed by 1/2 inch !! It could be the rails too....But what is involved to replace them and how to do it ?
A complete picture of the sunroof mechanism would be very appreciated too
Thanks so much in advance for your assistance

Old 06-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the torx screws are not glass, they're metal and they are in the sides, behind the accordion looking plastic that protects the mechanism. They are incredibly easy to spot. Two towards the back, two towards the front, but dollars to donuts you'll only need to tighten the back ones.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof rattle - When nothing else works

Okay - I have an 02 s60. Sunroof was rattling like crazy when shut only. It would not rattle when tilted up. WHen you pushed on the glass when closed, you could feel play in the mechanism. When you pushed on the glass when tilted, no play. All four bolts holding the glass on were TIGHT. No brackets were "unglued" or anything like that. I became convinced that the play in the system was simply related to worn rails or worn mechanism. I determined my only chance at avoiding major $$$$ to replace the rails was to loosen the 4 screws holding the glass to the mechanism that are behind the accordian things, move the rear of the glass to the lowest adjustment (toward the bottom of the car) and then drive with the tilt slightly actuated. The adjustment was to make the top of the glass match the roof when the tilt was slightly actuated.

Well, this did not work. when i finished, the ?(*&$#@! thing rattled in the slightly uptilted position. HOWEVER - it did NOT rattle in the fully down position!!!!! So now my rattle was fixed but the top of the glass was goofy relative to the top of the car. So I slowly started adjusting the glass upwards in the back, bringing it more even with the roof, hoping my rattle would not come back. i got it up to Volvo geek acceptable position with the roof, and PRAISE THE LORD - still no rattle!!!!!!!! BLESSED SILENCE on craterfilled minnesota roads on my thin as paris hilton 50 series tires.

So when all the usual forum fixes DO NOT FIX YOUR RATTLE, start playing with the attitude of your glass until your test drive is rattle-less.

A new glass gasket ($1XX from Volvo) or a new glass ($6XX from volvo) would probably reduce the amount of FINESSE you need to accomplish this fix. If anyone knows where to get these cheap, i would like to know.