Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Steering issue on 2005 T5 S60

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering issue on 2005 T5 S60

Hi everyone.

Wondering if you could shed some light on this steering issue I just recently started experiencing:

Key symptoms are:
- wheel struggles (if at all) to return to center after most turns
- steering can get hard/stiff under specific road conditions like a curved/tilted turn road

No real noises/clunks that I've noticed and honestly she drives pretty well 90% of the time.

I've taken it to one non Volvo mechanic so far and he said its a bad steering rack so that's on the table, can anyone describe another key Indicator of this?

Or maybe some other diagnostics I can run on the road to give you guys more symptoms?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the fluid at level in the reservoir? Also, the reservoir has been updated, looks like this Power Steering Fluid Reservoir S60 S80 V70 XC70

Old 05-27-2014, 04:31 PM

I went to a mechanic who checked the power steering fluid and it was at level, he said the steering rack might be bad but I'm trying to zero in on all other possibilities because that's gonna be a pricey fix.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:36 PM

I doubt a little the rack itself could be bad. Racks tend to be solid. I remember once I had a failed ball joint, and three garages locked the steering wheel and told me the steering rack was bad. Sometimes they are trying.

If the fluid is at level, it means the rack doesn't leak, which is a good thing.

If the steering gets stiffer when the car is not at level, could be an issue with the outer or the inner tie rod.

A typical issue with this car is the lower steering shaft coupler (U-joint) gets seized, but I think the steering gets harder most of the time when this happens.

Finally, if the stiffness happens when the car is laterally accelerated, it could be the fluid in the reservoir that is pushed sideways causing the pump to suck air for a moment, which can make the steering stiffer. This can be fixed with the power steering reservoir from later 2005+ models that has the intake pipe at the bottom of the reservoir, instead at the top of the reservoir. Or try rising the fluid level for about 1/2 inch (takes only synthetic dot4 fluid).

Old 07-07-2014, 05:50 PM

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I'll keep all that in mind when I finally go see a volvo indie (assuming the dealer will get me big time?).

So the wheel not returning to center by itself on tight turns, that's not an indicator of a bad rack? Or rather are there other possibilities that cause that?

Seems that's the biggest safety issue

In recent weeks seems like it's getting a little worse, gonna have to bite the bullet soon for sure

Thanks again oragex!

Old 07-07-2014, 06:29 PM

Also, checked the fluid and it is at level.

Any other diagnostic I could do myself to provide a better idea/help narrow down.

I know inevitably I have to go to a tech but I'm a bit nerdy and want to know as much as I can.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mixre
So the wheel not returning to center by itself on tight turns, that's not an indicator of a bad rack? Or rather are there other possibilities that cause that?

I have rarely heard about a rack going bad. It is a solid piece of steel, the suspension parts would rather bent before the rack get go bad after hitting a curb. Maybe use a little bit of grease to make sure the rack is not dry.

Also inspect the dust boot over the tie rods (at the end of the steering rack). They can break and the rack starts to rust.

Another possibility is a bad geometry (usually the steering wheel won't stay at center when going straight) or low tire pressure.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:20 AM

Hey OrageX I finally have an update.

Took her to a reputable indie and the mechanic found that the lowering coupling was frozen (odd???) so he released and lubricated it which seems to have fixed the issues I had with steering.

He also mentioned that I should replace the front R & L lower control arms so there's that to look forward to...

Is that something I should do ASAP without driving the car in the meantime or just something to plan for in the near future?

Other than all that she got a clean bill of health, which is good! Thanks again, your reply enabled me to look smarter when I talked to the tech about possible issues with the tie rods / ball joints.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:03 PM

That's good news. The lower coupler is indeed well known to seize. I would make sure it was lubricated with a synthetic grease or a synthetic engine oil, as some popular spray can lubricants tend to freeze during cold winter days.

It's also good news you had the chance of finding a good&honest mechanic, as indeed this issue needed particular knowledge.

As for the control arm bushings, another well known wear item, it much depends on how the car handles. The bushings can be more or less worn. Unless the bushings are completely in pieces it shouldn't be a safety issue. What can be affected is the steering feeling (vagueness) and the front wheel geometry (uneven tire wear). When needed, it's better to replace those particular suspension parts with Volvo original parts, as most non OEM control arm bushings seem to last no more than 10-15000 miles.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Default similar issue

where is lower coupler? Outside of a cabin?
thanks

Old 03-01-2016, 08:11 PM

can anyone help me with identifying the lower coupler please? I just flushed/refilled my 04 ps fluid with Pentison chf 202 and this didn't help. steering is "stiff"....not unusable but annoying.....

I'd like to find the problem here....and check as many things....quick/inexpensive things as possible. So I'm kind working my way down the list.

thanks

?? is this the lower coupler ??

Last edited by gchalifoux; 03-01-2016 at 08:20 PM.