Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Timing Belt Install Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Install Issues

I have been working on changing my timing belt, water pump, pulley and tensioner today. Well after changing all those parts then getting everything but the belt back on I started to line up the new timing belt on the cams and crank shaft I noticed the belt seemed very tight and would not go on. After struggling for 30 min. with help we came to the conclusion that we must have the wrong belt. Is there another way to put the belt on rather than simply lining everything up then slipping it on once the tensioner is contracted?

Old 07-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkS60
I have been working on changing my timing belt, water pump, pulley and tensioner today. Well after changing all those parts then getting everything but the belt back on I started to line up the new timing belt on the cams and crank shaft I noticed the belt seemed very tight and would not go on. After struggling for 30 min. with help we came to the conclusion that we must have the wrong belt. Is there another way to put the belt on rather than simply lining everything up then slipping it on once the tensioner is contracted?
The belt is tight. Start at the crank and work counterclockwise. Get it started on the right side (intake) cam sprocket - not all the way on but on 1/4" or so, then 1/4" on to the left side (exhaust) cam sprocket. Then just get it started on the water pump and slide it on to the tensioner. Then work the belt on to both cam sprockets and the water pump simultaneously.

Last edited by migbro; 07-24-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:21 AM

Ok just tried your method for another hour and a half, nothing but frustration and more cut up knuckles. This belt seems WAY to tight, pulling the old one off was so simple, this is nothing like that. I pulled the new one off and it matches perfectly with the old. I honestly dont know what to do. I have tried putting it on a different way many times, even unbolted a pulley and tried, still....nothing.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:47 AM

Ok just tried your method for another hour and a half, nothing but frustration and more cut up knuckles. This belt seems WAY to tight, pulling the old one off was so simple, this is nothing like that. I pulled the new one off and it matches perfectly with the old. I honestly dont know what to do. I have tried putting it on a different way many times, even unbolted a pulley and tried, still....nothing.
Getting the belt on is a minor challenge but not as hard as you're describing.

I don't own a S60 but I vaguely recall it's possible to get the belt on the wrong side of some obstruction in the timing belt path which will prevent you from installing it. You need to take a good hard look at exactly where you're placing the belt down by the crank pulley.

Last edited by migbro; 07-25-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:27 AM

Thank you for your help. My tensioner is barely giving it any slack, when everything is tight I pull the tensioner and pull on the belt but it still need almost 1/2 inch of belt to get around the pulley. I physically cannot stretch the belt that far. I have checked everything making sure all is tight but still I dont have enough slack, and the tensioner barely provides any slack.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 AM

Thank you for your help. My tensioner is barely giving it any slack, when everything is tight I pull the tensioner and pull on the belt but it still need almost 1/2 inch of belt to get around the pulley. I physically cannot stretch the belt that far. I have checked everything making sure all is tight but still I dont have enough slack, and the tensioner barely provides any slack.
You didn't say what year your car is but
will probably be helpful. Go to the 12:00 time. There's a trick with the mechanical tensioner.

Last edited by migbro; 07-25-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:11 AM

Thank you very much, mine is a 03 just like the one showed. I think my problem is that I did not take off my harmonic balancer. When I used the harmonic remover it pulled the crank gear out with the balancer so I didnt pull it off all the way I just slipped the new one around and tapped the balancer and gear back into place. Im going to try removing it and seeing if there is anything down there interfering.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 AM

Thank you very much, mine is a 03 just like the one showed. I think my problem is that I did not take off my harmonic balancer. When I used the harmonic remover it pulled the crank gear out with the balancer so I didnt pull it off all the way I just slipped the new one around and tapped the balancer and gear back into place. Im going to try removing it and seeing if there is anything down there interfering.
You've been putting the belt on the outside of the lower timing belt guard I'd guess. Or something like that.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:04 PM

Sure enough there was a bolt under the cam gear that my belt was stuck around, only way of fixing it or even knowing it was stuck was to take the harmonic balancer off. I took some pics that I may put up later to help any out.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:31 PM

I guess I should mention this job's a lot easier if you take the harmonic balancer all the way off.