Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission Service Required code :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Service Required code :(

Hey everyone,

So, I just got this sad little message on my screen today: TRANSMISSION SERVICE REQUIRED.

This comes as a shock to me, as I bought my 2002 S60 in 2007 @ 91,000 miles and it has *never* been anywhere for any little thing outside of a Volvo dealership.

The car is now at 165,000 miles and about 2 months ago, I had all the brakes and rotors replaced, a *TRANSMISSION FLUID FLUSH* (I seriously feel this was related) and a few other things, about $2,000 worth of service that I got done here in Boston.

So, I'm not quite sure what's happening. I haven't noticed any bizarre things with my car and how it is running lately --- in fact, ever since the transmission fluid flush I thought it had been performing much better than before.

I'm at a loss... has anyone else had an issue like this that lead to any positive outcome? I'd hate to get ride of my S60 because I've put in a lot of $$$ for certified maintenance.

Thanks,
-Andrea

Old 02-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by an9rea
Hey everyone,

So, I just got this sad little message on my screen today: TRANSMISSION SERVICE REQUIRED.

This comes as a shock to me, as I bought my 2002 S60 in 2007 @ 91,000 miles and it has *never* been anywhere for any little thing outside of a Volvo dealership.

The car is now at 165,000 miles and about 2 months ago, I had all the brakes and rotors replaced, a *TRANSMISSION FLUID FLUSH* (I seriously feel this was related) and a few other things, about $2,000 worth of service that I got done here in Boston.

So, I'm not quite sure what's happening. I haven't noticed any bizarre things with my car and how it is running lately --- in fact, ever since the transmission fluid flush I thought it had been performing much better than before.

I'm at a loss... has anyone else had an issue like this that lead to any positive outcome? I'd hate to get ride of my S60 because I've put in a lot of $$$ for certified maintenance.

Thanks,
-Andrea

I had a similar issue with my 03 because it was the Trany i took it to a dealer. They read codes and it looked like a solenoid in the trany . They reset the code did a needed software update and keep it for a day or so and the Cel did not return(its been a year) Im not sure where in MA you took your car but for me Boston Volvo if a dealer is a must. They have always treated my well and have even help with some DIY projects.The Transmission in a 01-02 S60 looks like 100% at some point going to be a problem .But with that said with out the Codes it could be anything.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the response...

I guess it gives me some hope. I still haven't driven it to the dealership yet... but I have been driving it as normal and drove it today to work. The light actually went off completely for a few hours... and now it's switched back on. I guess there's really no way of telling until I bring it in.

Thanks for the help
-Andrea

Old 03-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i were you rather than doing nothing go to a local AutoZone or like autoparts store and have them read the codes. They will be generic but its worth a shot to see what going on.You can also try having them reset the codes if it will and see if and when it comes back.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:04 AM

I thought I would just close this topic and update --- it's almost been a year since I posted (lol). And believe it or not, I kept ignoring it until I had to bring it in for an oil change last week...

It was the software. It makes sense, too... I had a whole year with this light on that the transmission was in trouble and it acted perfectly... so, the software has been updated and there aren't any issues. Go figure!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 AM

thank you Andrea for comung back and letting us now!