Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Transmission Service Required code TCM-0092

Old 02-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Service Required code TCM-0092

Hello everyone- I'm new to this forum but not new to Volvos, and I've been searching this site for years but never had a reason to join until now.

My 1999 S80 has the "Transmission Service Required" message displayed. It shifts absolutely perfect under all conditions, fluid is nice and red, etc.

A friend has a Volvo diagnostic tool that was able to pull the code from the transmission module after a bit of manipulation. The code we got is TCM-0092, which is something to do with "Shift Lock Solenoid."

Google tells me that this is referring to the solenoid in the center console that keeps the car from being shifted out of Park without one's foot on the brake. Problem is, my shift lock works just fine!

Is there another reason why this code would appear? Is my solenoid simply "on the way out?" If so, I am going to solder a resistor in its place to make the TCM think that the solenoid is actually there... Does anyone have advice on how to remove the center console to gain access to this? I don't currently have a working Windows XP computer to run VADIS on.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I'd follow up with what I discovered today.

The center console wasn't hard to take apart, but I also realized that to gain access to the shifter, one need only remove the plastic PRND... bezel by gently prying with a screwdriver.

I eventually found the wires for the shift lock solenoid and unplugged it. This allows the shifter trigger to be pushed and the shifter to be moved regardless of key position. I soldered a resistor in place of the trigger on the end of the wire, hoping to trick the TCM into thinking that the solenoid was still connected.

Unfortunately, I do not have the proper tool to reset the transmission codes, so I will need to wait until I can get to my friend who can reset it for me, unless someone on here knows how I can reset the code without a tool. Unplugging the battery, even for several days, does not work.

I also replaced the downstream o2 sensors; contrary to what I've read, you do NOT need to drop the exhaust pipe or even lower it to do this. I used an offset o2 sensor socket that is easily available at harbor freight and while it is a relatively tight fit, it wasn't all that bad.