Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Tried Everything- Heater Blower still won't work

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried Everything- Heater Blower still won't work

For a while, the heat in the 2002 S60 would work intermittently and now that it is cold out, it won't work at all. I have replaced the blower motor, resistor and now have a new (used) climate control module and still get no blower love. I am only half good at troubleshooting electrical. I have a multimeter, but don't know which setting to put it on in order to test readings. Also, I don't really know where to put the probes in order to troubleshoot this issue. (I have tried one probe on the blue wire going into the resistor, but not getting much of a reading- should the black be to ground?).

I have checked all of the climate control fuses and don't really know where else to look. I have already spent 15% of the car's value in trying to solve this and really don't want to keep throwing money at it. Ideas?

Last edited by Yergnov; 12-31-2020 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to add year and model
Old 12-31-2020, 04:10 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Yergnov
Ideas?
fuse 26 in the c fusebox (on the end of the dashboard) sends power all the time to the fan resistor - the big red wire. So you should find power between there and ground ( the big black wire) all the time. The resister varies the speed by varying the ground - Take the fan back out if needed to connect + and - jumper wires. Does the fan work with jumper wires? On the diagram, resister is 4/31, fan motor is 6/28, ground connection is 31/10.

The ground connection for left hand drive cars is 31/10, it shares a ground with the 12v outlets - if they work, at least they are still connected. That ground connection is located is the passenger footwell behind the carpet on the side near the door Many pictures included -

Old 01-02-2021, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the drawings. I finally had another chance to look at this. I took the multimeter and managed to see that there was power at the blower which I could cut by removing the fuse. When I moved the fan speed dial on the climate control module, I did not see any variation in the voltage coming into the fan. (I checked the red and black wires as well as the blue and yellow on the other side of the connector leading into the blower fan resistor). This makes me think that the climate control module is broken. I went to the junk yard and bought a used one and the problem stayed the same. Now I don't know what to try. I can only assume that the new old climate control module is also broken since the fan and resistor are new new...

Old 01-02-2021, 05:12 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Yergnov
there was power at the blower which I could cut by removing the fuse. When I moved the fan speed dial on the climate control module, I did not see any variation in the voltage coming into the fan.

Now I don't know what to try. I can only assume that the new old climate control module is also broken since the fan and resistor are new new...
As I mentioned earlier - you won't see voltage variation coming into the fan - the fan speed **** tells the CCM to tell the resistor to vary the Ground - not the +

If you connect the fan directly to the big red wire and the big black wire - does it spin? (careful it will start spinning very fast and if it's sitting on the passenger floorboard, stuff flies away fast!) -

I've had to replace very few CCM - but don't remember if they were replaced for no fan function. I never tried a used unit - so I'm not sure if a used unit will work with a different VIN. Some modules will not. The new ones I put in had to have a download to make them work

I have used these folks - a couple of hundred times for replacement/repair modules - and have sent them suspect modules for them to test - and of course a few that my techs sent out were not bad! (then we would find the real problem) They might be able to tell you over the phone if a used module has a chance of working without a "program transfer". And fan function is mentioned in the common failures section.

https://xemodex.com/us/product/clima...gram-transfer/

Last edited by hoonk; 01-02-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:14 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

On the diagram part 4/31 is the "resistor" It is not actually a resistor but a solid state power control Connection A1 and A3 appear to be the gate. There should be a voltage across them that varies as the fan speed control is changed. If it is zero, I would expect that the fan would not run. If it does not change, the fan should run at high speed only. Either case would suggest a failed CCM