Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Upper engine bushing

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008 | 11:36 AM
Default Upper engine bushing

Dealer wants 290 for a new upper engine bushing on my 04 s60 2.5T. i said no dice. and bought a rubber OEM online. what tools will i need? and how long will this take, my guess is 20 min with a socket wrench....

oh and does 359 per new control arm sound right? and do i have to get them both done when one is bad? and how do i know if it just isnt a bushing, any obvious signs?

thanks guys

Old 09-02-2008 | 06:42 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Upper engine bushing

Did you buy just the bushing or the entire aluminum bracket with bushing?

Usually the bushings in the control arms go bad. But they are a MAJOR PITA to replace. I have seen Dealer tech's destroy the arm using the special tools to replace them.

Old 09-05-2008 | 03:57 PM

I bought the bushing, the round one, im afraid that after i hack saw out the bad bushing that i wont be able to get the other in! how easy or hard is it, i have standard tools, no air tools or press.

dealer said i need the arms, not bushings, which bothered me, and why both, is that an allignment issue? it was making a noise, a "woooooo" ing noise. and when the car is off if you push it back and forth from the front you can hear it by the tires, but how can i check if it a bushing or the arm, either way im not replacing it but i dont want to be ripped off. i do trust these guys though, they have always been honest with me.

Old 09-05-2008 | 10:13 PM
Administrator

You might be able to make something to help you press it in. You would need a long bolt and 2 big washers. Then you can tighten the screw and press the bushing in.

I would have to see the car to be able to tell you better. The bushings break alot. Maybe they don't want to replace the bushings. I cannot see the arm itself making the noise. The struts also make a noise like you described.

Old 09-06-2008 | 12:23 AM

Just take the rubber piece back, get the whole mount here: http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...ategory_id/110, then it's just a matter of unbolting the old one and bolting the new one on.

You can get the whole control arm for $125: http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...ategory_id/183. If it's like the S80, it's not too hard to change but on the driver's side you have to jack the engine up 1" to get the bolts off (maybe yours has more clearance so you don't need to do this).

Old 09-06-2008 | 12:36 AM

ORIGINAL: DGBibo

I bought the bushing, the round one, im afraid that after i hack saw out the bad bushing that i wont be able to get the other in! how easy or hard is it, i have standard tools, no air tools or press.

dealer said i need the arms, not bushings, which bothered me, and why both, is that an allignment issue? it was making a noise, a "woooooo" ing noise. and when the car is off if you push it back and forth from the front you can hear it by the tires, but how can i check if it a bushing or the arm, either way im not replacing it but i dont want to be ripped off. i do trust these guys though, they have always been honest with me.
You shouldn't need both control arms unless both are bad.

You said it's making a wooing noise. Is the tire rubbing on something?