General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

FCP Upper Engine Torque Rod Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FCP Upper Engine Torque Rod Bushing

Hello from a new member. Quick intro - I recently purchased a '98 V70 GLT with ~147k miles which is my first Volvo. I needed a relaible vehicle for frequent road trips that had more space than my wife's Prius. I don't need to tell you folks why I decided to purchase a Volvo, or why I'm very enthusiastic about getting it in tip-top condition as well as taking care of the routine and needed maintenance.

So anyway, part of my initial maintenance includes replacing a totally destroyed upper engine torque rod bushing. I got an aftermarket urethane bushing from FCP Groton. Here's my question; the bolt hole is off-center and with no instructions as well as an OEM busing that's totally separated I don't know what the proper orientation of the busing is?

I'll confess that I already installed the busing with the hole offset horizontally towards the firewall. I'll spare you my logic, but it seemed to make sense. The day after intalling it I drove the car 350 miles and everything seems/looks fine. Can anyone fill me in on why this particular busing has and eccentric bolt hole and how it should be installed?

Old 05-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beau98,

I live not far from you on Signal.

The poly mount is so much easier to install than the normal style though to some they translate more vibration into the car. From your description, I think you have it installed correctly. If there are notches on it, the notches should be pointed towards the firewall.

I bought my upper engine mount from ipd and they sent it with instructions but you can reference them from their website (ipdusa.com), if the mount is the same one you bought from fcp. Let me know if I can help.

George