Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Voltage regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage regulator?

Hello, I have been experiencing quite a few electrical problems that all started happening at once. I read that it may be a voltage regulator. I can only find one voltage regulator online

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-bosch-8637851

But could it also be the voltage regulator on the DIM or does that only supply the electronics of the DIM?

List of problems:

1) Radio changes stations by itself, and volume **** does not work well (Doesn't matter what direction you turn it, it will either go really loud or slowly off)

2) Blower fan would stay on when car is off and would not wanna kick on at times when turning on ac (unplugging and plugging in the fuse seemed to work for a while...)

3) DIM module would turn off with vibration (I had that fixed for a little bit but the severe vibrations from the control arm had ruined my solder joints)
as seen in my DIM DIY repair guide

I am not too familiar with the Volvo electronics system as of yet. So I do not know the layout of how everything works as of yet. I can get an idea of looking where particular chips attach to, But that's about it.

Last edited by zerorisers; 06-01-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I doubt it is the voltage regulator. If you have proper battery voltage when the car is running and the battery light isn't coming on, the voltage regulator is fine.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T
I doubt it is the voltage regulator. If you have proper battery voltage when the car is running and the battery light isn't coming on, the voltage regulator is fine.
From my knowlege there are 2 regulators. one that will drive particular electronics, and another that drives the DIM. I have read that the electronics are networked so that one is unpluged all others shut down. (when I unplug the DIM the alarm system, radio, lighting, AC, and starter no longer function.)

Old 06-01-2015, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

what year is your S60? The part you show is the main voltage regulator for the alternator - its job is to keep the output of the alternator to a steady DC voltage. There's some vids on Youtube for how to use a VOM to test - start by measuring the battery volts (car off) - should be 12.6V DC or so. Start the car. the voltage should go up to 14.5 or so. Load up the alternator by turning on the blower, rear defroster, high beams etc. Voltage should remain in the 13.x range. Now in terms of finding the "second" voltage regulator - you can either browse through the wiring diagram (volvowiringdiagrams.com ) - or if you think the issue is in the DIM, it does have a voltage regulator (search for L4925N ) assuming your car is like a 2003 or so. DIM problems can be in the cables, relay or the CEM (central electronic module is the part where Volvo hid a bunch of relays and switches as a unit). Note if you try to replace the CEM it may be mated to the immobilizer program so read up on that as well.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

The term voltage regulator commonly refers to the one on the alternator. Modules have means to regulator voltage for network communication or a 5V reference for sensors, but those parts are not available from Volvo.

More than likely, you have three separate issues here.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
what year is your S60? The part you show is the main voltage regulator for the alternator - its job is to keep the output of the alternator to a steady DC voltage. There's some vids on Youtube for how to use a VOM to test - start by measuring the battery volts (car off) - should be 12.6V DC or so. Start the car. the voltage should go up to 14.5 or so. Load up the alternator by turning on the blower, rear defroster, high beams etc. Voltage should remain in the 13.x range. Now in terms of finding the "second" voltage regulator - you can either browse through the wiring diagram (volvowiringdiagrams.com ) - or if you think the issue is in the DIM, it does have a voltage regulator (search for L4925N ) assuming your car is like a 2003 or so. DIM problems can be in the cables, relay or the CEM (central electronic module is the part where Volvo hid a bunch of relays and switches as a unit). Note if you try to replace the CEM it may be mated to the immobilizer program so read up on that as well.
It is a 2002 but From working on the DIM There is a voltage regulator on it, not just 2003 and newer; I will check on that voltage regulator, might even add a volt meter onto the DIM for fun :P

The term voltage regulator commonly refers to the one on the alternator. Modules have means to regulator voltage for network communication or a 5V reference for sensors, but those parts are not available from Volvo.

More than likely, you have three separate issues here.
I know of one other voltage regulator in the DIM. only thing I can think of for all the problems appearing at once. I will try and get the part number off of the chip and a datasheet for it.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

You certainly need a new or rebuilt DIM. But that is just one problem.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:31 AM

You certainly need a new or rebuilt DIM. But that is just one problem.
I can rebuild the DIM myself; All it is is figuring out what parts are bad and replacing them. If it is the voltage regulator I can take the part number off of it and look on digikey (Or ask my work if they have an extra)

Anybody know what the part number is for that voltage regulator on the DIM? And if anybody can find a schematic for the DIM on a 2002 s60 than that would be extremely helpful.

while I am replacing the voltage regulator I am going to reflow the chips using liquid flux instead of the nasty paste flux.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure where you would get an internal schematic of the DIM. Out diagrams are only external.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:55 AM

Not sure where you would get an internal schematic of the DIM. Out diagrams are only external.
If my work has done anything for volvo I MIGHT be able to find a schematic (I saw no test marks on the board and with it not being american that probably wont happen) I will keep searching online for any kind of schematic
as posted by mt6127 L4925N is the voltage regulator on board. I could not find its specific datasheet but I did find its brothers the L4925.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...3911-ND/715829

Out of stock on digikey

I will have to check the Obsolete pile at my workplace for one.

Last edited by zerorisers; 06-02-2015 at 11:00 AM.