Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Volvo s60 refuse to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo s60 refuse to start

Good day everyone. Please I need urgent suggestion. I was driving my 2013 Volvo S60 automatic 1.6 diesel on the main road. Normally the car shuts down the engine as I stop in traffic. When I put my foot off the break pedal, the car refused to start. I called AA and they tried to jump start the car as they found no fault code in the engine. I later read in the owners manual that the S60 as two battery fitted because it is a stop/start. My mechanic later found the smaller battery which is also a 12V 120A battery but very small in size. Please any idea. The car will not start. The full lights and key fobs all work fine and lit very bright. The dash is now showing Battery low power mode activated. They change the big starter battery but the car refused to start.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:21 PM
Default Problem solved?

I've just experienced a similar issue with my new-to-me 2013 Volvo S60 T5 gas although mine is gas and non-start/stop version i.e. Battery low power mode shown on dash and it won't turn over, just clicks. I've tried a known good battery and replaced the starter and still no change. Any advice you could provide?

Old 01-04-2018, 04:36 PM

I figured I'd follow up on this post in case anyone encounters a similar scenario at some point. Since I'd already ruled out the starter I suspected a cable and after trying a jumper cable between the negative post and engine block made no difference I focused on the positive cable and it wasn't too long before I realized I had infinite resistance between the nut and the red cable on the following picture. I popped off the brown cover and things were separated inside. I suspect it's some time of fusible link. I temporarily bridged the break with 14 gauge copper wire, put it back together and she fired right up. I'll order a new cable to repair this properly but thought this might save someone an expensive tow for a fairly simple problem. Found infinite resistance between nut and red cable. The separation could be seen with the brown cover off but no picture taken

Old 01-05-2018, 12:48 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the void was under this cover then it's likely a fuesable link. The question is why did it blow. Just replacing it doesn't necessarily solve a problem.

Might be heavy draw due to the really cold temps if you're in that region regsiemens

Attached Thumbnails Volvo s60 refuse to start-1.jpg  
Old 01-05-2018, 12:49 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

shifo Sorry no one has jumped on. I don't have any experience with diesel Volvo as there weren't sold here in the US. Just not enough people with them on the forum.

What did you find out on yours ??

Old 01-05-2018, 02:47 PM

The vehicle is relatively new to me so I don't know the history or can't with absolute certainty identify the reason for the fusible link blowing. When I pulled the brown cover off, it almost looked as if someone had tried to bridge the break with solder. This also failed on me just after the car was detailed which included engine bay cleaning. So the reason it blew may have related to moisture somewhere causing higher resistance and causing the previous repair to fail? Regardless I'll have a new starter, new battery and new positive battery cable so I'm hoping whatever caused it to fail has been replace or eliminated.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:48 PM

Oh and mine is not a diesel but it appears the positive cable that failed on me is similar in all S60s including the T5, T6 and diesel

Old 12-26-2018, 03:02 PM

This turned out to be my exact issue. Thank you for posting! This was the only thing I could find anywhere and should be made into it's own post. This is apparently somewhat common according to one of the techs I spoke with at the dealership.

Originally Posted by regsiemens
I figured I'd follow up on this post in case anyone encounters a similar scenario at some point. Since I'd already ruled out the starter I suspected a cable and after trying a jumper cable between the negative post and engine block made no difference I focused on the positive cable and it wasn't too long before I realized I had infinite resistance between the nut and the red cable on the following picture. I popped off the brown cover and things were separated inside. I suspect it's some time of fusible link. I temporarily bridged the break with 14 gauge copper wire, put it back together and she fired right up. I'll order a new cable to repair this properly but thought this might save someone an expensive tow for a fairly simple problem. Found infinite resistance between nut and red cable. The separation could be seen with the brown cover off but no picture taken

Old 12-26-2018, 11:42 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds much like the eventual solution to a starting problem on my 2015 V60 T5. Unfortunately, in neither case is the root cause of the failure identified.