Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Volvo S60 Speakers Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 04:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Volvo S60 Speakers Replacement

Hello,
the car is a Volvo S60, 2005 with a 2.5 engine and 140 horsepower.
It is equipped with a HU-403 radio, which aside from the radio signal and cassette, gives me absolutely no other options for playing music. For this reason I use a transmitter.

The sound quality is unpleasant, especially on songs where there is more bass. There are vibrations in all the speakers that make listening to certain songs simply impossible.

To improve the overall situation, I am considering doing a few things as follows:

- I will add the WEFA digital changer to the factory audio system - Wefa WF-606 USB, AUX, Bluetooth адаптер для VOLVO which allows me to listen to music as via AUX , as well as via Bluetooth.

- I am considering replacing the factory front and rear door speakers with aftermarket ones as follows:
*Front doors - https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/helix/speakers/l-62c.2
*Rear doors - HELIX PF C165.2

- I am planning to install 11mm sound insulation on the 4 doors.

I have a question here. Given that I don't plan to install an amplifier, is it worth replacing the factory speakers, or is it better to install only the digital changer first and try it, and if I don't get the desired effect, then think about new speakers?

Old 05-26-2023, 06:48 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

The front speaker you linked above is flat with evenly spaced mounting holes - A typical aftermarket speaker. I trust you understand that the factory front speakers (example shown below) are not flat, the mounting holes are not spaced evenly and there is a foam ring to seal against the door panel. Have you found some sort of mounting bracket to hold the speaker against the door panel in the same fashion as the factory speakers do? If not they will not sound good.

Old 05-27-2023, 01:34 AM

Hello,
I understand the difference in column depth, but the person I plan to upgrade to has an option to resolve this issue.
The question is, does it make sense to do it, bearing in mind that I won't be installing an amplifier, or in that case, is it better to keep the original speakers and just think about isolation.

Originally Posted by hoonk
The front speaker you linked above is flat with evenly spaced mounting holes - A typical aftermarket speaker. I trust you understand that the factory front speakers (example shown below) are not flat, the mounting holes are not spaced evenly and there is a foam ring to seal against the door panel. Have you found some sort of mounting bracket to hold the speaker against the door panel in the same fashion as the factory speakers do? If not they will not sound good.

Old 05-27-2023, 08:46 AM

If you have distortion - I would start by figuring out what speaker or speakers it's coming from - and if it's not all of them - examining the distorted sounding speaker/s. There may simply be physical damage to just one or two speakers. Replacement of only those needed (with possibly good used speakers) will probably sound better than your "persons upgrade". You might find it won't be an upgrade at all and end up losing the middle and low notes and making your wallet considerably lighter. How many speakers are in your car? Do you have tweeters in the front doors? The parts catalog shows up to 9 possible positions including the center speaker used in some cars. None of them are plain flat speakers with evenly spaced mounting holes.

Last edited by hoonk; 05-27-2023 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-27-2023, 09:33 AM

The main complaint I have at the moment is the vibrations appearing on bass-heavy songs, to the point where listening to certain songs becomes completely impossible unless I turn the bass down.

I can describe it as a vibration that I feel most noticeably in the right front and rear speakers, but it is also present in the left.

It was precisely as a result of this that the idea of ​​installing noise insulation and vibration insulation appeared, but upon further investigation on the Internet, I found information that the procedures in question could lead to problems, since
- They make the doors heavier, which causes the hinges to sag, fall off
- During the high temperatures, there is a risk that the insulation in question will not be affected well

And other.

If you have distortion - I would start by figuring out what speaker or speakers it's coming from - and if it's not all of them - examining the distorted sounding speaker/s. There may simply be physical damage to just one or two speakers. Replacement of only those needed (with possibly good used speakers) will probably sound better than your "persons upgrade". You might find it won't be an upgrade at all and end up losing the middle and low notes and making your wallet considerably lighter. How many speakers are in your car? Do you have tweeters in the front doors? The parts catalog shows up to 9 possible positions including the center speaker used in some cars. None of them are plain flat speakers with evenly spaced mounting holes.

Last edited by nedqlkow; 05-27-2023 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-27-2023, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by nedqlkow
The main complaint I have at the moment is the vibrations appearing on bass-heavy songs, to the point where listening to certain songs becomes completely impossible unless I turn the bass down.
I had that on a 2002 xc70. The RF door speaker was damaged. A used $20 speaker fixed it. (plus labor of course if not DIY)

Old 05-28-2023, 12:46 AM

I had that on a 2002 xc70. The RF door speaker was damaged. A used $20 speaker fixed it. (plus labor of course if not DIY)
The point is, I'm not sure how exactly I would know if there is a fault with a particular speaker, if I had to describe it, I'd rather say the only problem is a vibration that I think is coming from the door covers.

Old 05-28-2023, 08:26 AM

You should figure out what is causing your "vibration" whether it is caused by the head unit, the speakers, speaker mounting, or some other reason - before rigging new aftermarket speakers in - that could possibly sound worse than what you have right now.

Old 05-28-2023, 11:28 AM

You should figure out what is causing your "vibration" whether it is caused by the head unit, the speakers, speaker mounting, or some other reason - before rigging new aftermarket speakers in - that could possibly sound worse than what you have right now.
I understand. Thank you very much for your information.

Old 05-28-2023, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

most common failure with speakers is the foam surrounds that attach the cone to the frame tears. You can buy kits to replace (I've done this several times including on my home stereo speakers with good results) - if you pull the door card and inspect the speaker, you wil be able to determine if you have a torn cone surround or if there's something mechanical like a loose mount or something nearby that's loose and can be tighted or shimmed. As to replacements, you may be able to find something used at a recycle yard or shop on line - Crutchfield.com is probably the best starting point for compatible after market speakers or you can opt to go with a dealer store for OEM.

Old 05-29-2023, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
most common failure with speakers is the foam surrounds that attach the cone to the frame tears. You can buy kits to replace (I've done this several times including on my home stereo speakers with good results) - if you pull the door card and inspect the speaker, you wil be able to determine if you have a torn cone surround or if there's something mechanical like a loose mount or something nearby that's loose and can be tighted or shimmed. As to replacements, you may be able to find something used at a recycle yard or shop on line - Crutchfield.com is probably the best starting point for compatible after market speakers or you can opt to go with a dealer store for OEM.
So the best method I can find to figure out what the problem could be would be to take the skins off all the doors, play some music and try to figure out where the rattling is coming from.
I understand.