Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

What's the "Economical life" of a 2001 S60?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the "Economical life" of a 2001 S60?

Just curious.

The '01 S60 T5 I bought from my nephew last year w/ 104k is my 7th Volvo, and despite a LOT of new components (all front suspension (arms/bushings), including inner and outer tie rods, axles, hub bearings, struts, strut bushings) the car has more noises over rough roads (and has required far more total required repairs) than my 400k mile '89 740. It also ate its first tranny at 72k, and now sometimes drops into 1st coming to a stop with a "clunk," and at 106k (34k on the independently rebuilt trans) occasionally flares into 3rd or 4th (rpm spikes 200rpm higher than the lower gear disengagement before engaging the next higher gear). Not very confidence inspiring.

Don't get me wrong, with a new free ETM (thank-you Volvo) this week, it runs great and handles well, but I just don't have the sense it will hold up like my RWD Volvos did, including my beloved '96 965 (that I never should have sold).

What would be a reasonable, useful life for a well cared-for '01 S60 before serious engine work, or another transmission is needed? BTW, I live in TX, so corrosion related problems are not a factor.

I tend to keep cars until a pending repair or replacement would put the "investment" above the reasonable market value of the car. These days, even a HVAC climate-control problem can exceed the street value of a car, so I am curious if these expensive little systems are reliable in this model and year (I am always reluctant to buy the first year of a new model, but this one fell into my lap priced reasonably at $3k).

I am trying to get a rough idea (based upon the experience base here) before I dare fall in love with the car. My alternative would be to try to find a super clean late model 745 or 945 with under 200k on the clock if I decide to get out of the S60 since I am old enough now that I value reliability, ease/cost of DIY fix-ability over performance and looks (I actually think a 965/V90 is a beautiful looking car.).

Bob

Old 06-06-2011, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by bobinyelm
Just curious.

The '01 S60 T5 I bought from my nephew last year w/ 104k is my 7th Volvo, and despite a LOT of new components (all front suspension (arms/bushings), including inner and outer tie rods, axles, hub bearings, struts, strut bushings) the car has more noises over rough roads (and has required far more total required repairs) than my 400k mile '89 740. It also ate its first tranny at 72k, and now sometimes drops into 1st coming to a stop with a "clunk," and at 106k (34k on the independently rebuilt trans) occasionally flares into 3rd or 4th (rpm spikes 200rpm higher than the lower gear disengagement before engaging the next higher gear). Not very confidence inspiring.

Don't get me wrong, with a new free ETM (thank-you Volvo) this week, it runs great and handles well, but I just don't have the sense it will hold up like my RWD Volvos did, including my beloved '96 965 (that I never should have sold).

What would be a reasonable, useful life for a well cared-for '01 S60 before serious engine work, or another transmission is needed? BTW, I live in TX, so corrosion related problems are not a factor.

I tend to keep cars until a pending repair or replacement would put the "investment" above the reasonable market value of the car. These days, even a HVAC climate-control problem can exceed the street value of a car, so I am curious if these expensive little systems are reliable in this model and year (I am always reluctant to buy the first year of a new model, but this one fell into my lap priced reasonably at $3k).

I am trying to get a rough idea (based upon the experience base here) before I dare fall in love with the car. My alternative would be to try to find a super clean late model 745 or 945 with under 200k on the clock if I decide to get out of the S60 since I am old enough now that I value reliability, ease/cost of DIY fix-ability over performance and looks (I actually think a 965/V90 is a beautiful looking car.).

Bob
Id keep it. If the car was well maintained it should last a long time. If it hasnt been maintained well and is behind on maintainence, you may have to invest in it a little. I'd consult with a dealer and ask theyre opinion. Have them look at it (here we have spring and fall clinics at our local dealership, where they look at it give a complimantry multi point inspection, and give 10% off any needed repairs.)

I just spent about $3,000 on my volvo recently for some items and Im gearing up to spend another $1000 or two (some of it is items that are just cosmetic) so its getting close to my 2003 S60's value, but I figure, its better than car payments. Your Volvo should last you many a mile.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by bobinyelm
Just curious.

Bob
Id keep it. If the car was well maintained it should last a long time. If it hasnt been maintained well and is behind on maintainence, you may have to invest in it a little. I'd consult with a dealer and ask theyre opinion. Have them look at it (here we have spring and fall clinics at our local dealership, where they look at it give a complimantry multi point inspection, and give 10% off any needed repairs.)

I just spent about $3,000 on my volvo recently for some items and Im gearing up to spend another $1000 or two (some of it is items that are just cosmetic) so its getting close to my 2003 S60's value, but I figure, its better than car payments. Your Volvo should last you many a mile.

In My opinion, and in refrence to your last paragraph, Just always keep in mind, that no matter how immaculate a older high milage car may be, you never REALLY know how well it was serviced unless you are able to get maintaince records from your local dealer. If it is an older car and is REALLY, behind in maintaince, it could set you back farther than your 2001 S60 did.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:10 AM

Actually, I have the full maintenance records showing my nephew spent over $16,500 with the dealer and independent shops since the car was new, and now I have added half shafts, hub bearings, a brake diaphragm, and now the ETM (probably adds to another $2500 if done by the dealer).

But given what it's cost to keep it on the road so far, I just wonder what else expensive (climate control system, heater core or A/C evaporator, transmission again) is likely as these cars age. All vehicles of the same year/model tend to develop similar costs I suspect.

I wonder what the highest mileage S60 is on this Board? Mine at 106k miles is probably not anywhere CLOSE, yet with maintenance and tires/batteries, it's close to $20,000 in operating cost (not including fuel, insurance, etc. of course). I didn't spend $2 grand on my 740 in 100k miles, for comparison.