Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wheel balancing and rumble noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel balancing and rumble noise

I had winter wheels and tires installed a few weeks ago. There was a lot of vibration between 90-100km/h range so I had them balanced, but that only worked for a few days and the vibration is back in the same speed range. I know its very typical of incorrect balancing but can it be something else? A bad ball joint?

Also, the car makes a rumble sort of clunking noise when going over small bumps, especially when there is some weight in the car...I don't know whats causing the clunking rumble since two volvo dealers have given me two different answers. One thinks its the control arm bushings and the other thinks its the right ball joint and the bushings are fine. If this helps the diagnoses, the rumble seems to come from all four wheels?

I don't want to blindly throw money at either of these problems and will appreciate your thoughts. Definately not impressed by the fact that my 01 volvo's suspension sounds like a bucket of bolts compared with my 98 Ford exploder!

Cheers

Old 12-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Wheel balancing and rumble noise

The tires might be out of round as well.

The clunk can be many things. Sway bar links,Strut caps,Balljoints,Control arm bushings, ETC

If you can have a Volvo Indipendant shop look at it.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:06 PM

Mechanic tells me that two of my tires have developed flat spots...that sucks since they drove fine for a few weeks and are almost new gilsaved tires. I will have to replace all four since I HATE driving will flat spots--a real bubbling vibration that increases as you go faster.

I was reading through the S60 owners manual and it actually lists the possiblity of tires developing flat spots during cold weather driving. Something like - 'due to the temperature change or heating up of tires during driving, tires can develop flat spots when parked in cold weather. These flat spots can cause vibration during driving which can be similar to vibration experienced due to incorrect wheel balancing, the flat spots should disappear as you start to drive the car and tire heats up again.'

Thats great but in my case the flat spots either dont disappear or re-form each night. Im leaning towards getting Kumho KW17 snow tires since they are rated 91H and may hold up better.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:05 PM

I got new tires today, along with new winter rims but the car still drives wobbly, its more of a wobble (bubbling) than vibration and it is there regardless of the speed.

Any thoughts? Im frustrated!

The wobble appeared after I changed from my alloys to the winter tires, at the same time, I changed from the steel wheel bolts (which were rusty) to chrome ones that I bought online...could these be the cause? The new chrome bolts are a bit different in that they have a swivelling neck (the cone shaped area just below the bolt head)

Also, my old locking bolts were seized and the front driver side tire took some big time hamering to get it off...could something have been damaged during this?

Sorry for the long post....any help is appreciated.

PS..forgot to mention, I also had the front rotors and pads changed the same day. So, the wobble may be caused due to

1. New tires and wheels ...unlikely because im on my second set and no end to the wobble
2. New chrome locking bolts
3. New rotors
4. Damage to something(?) when taking off seized locking bolt

Old 12-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe a bad Axle.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:45 PM

is there a possibility that one of your wheels (not the tire) is damaged? Have you tried putting your other wheels back on to see of the problem goes away?

Old 01-01-2007, 03:27 PM

ORIGINAL: thullz

I had winter wheels and tires installed a few weeks ago. There was a lot of vibration between 90-100km/h range
I am having the exact same problem since I installed my winter tires. Plus the fact thatexcept from the vibration, I have a feelingthat I am loosing the stability of the car's rear side. Any ideas?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:55 AM

I had the same problem on my 2001 S60. I was getting a vibration at 60+ MPH which then got worse and started vibrating at lower speeds. Also, when going over large bumps in the road, I would get the vibration even worse as the car "bottomed out" after the bump. Everyone said it could be bald tires or the wheels out of balance.

The dealership replaced the front right axle and the vibration is mostly gone. They suggested replacing the front left, b/c I still have a little vibration left, but I'm going to shop around. It cost 545 for axle shaft (36000530-0) and 98 for labor. I think I way overpaid for the part. On europartsdirect I think you can get the right axle for $300. Not sure if I'm looking at the right part, though.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:41 AM

I have Pirellis P6 tires and I have had my second experience with flat spots. Unfortunately it sounds like there is nothing to prevent them or repair them.