Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Where is Cyl #2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is Cyl #2?

CEL went on and when Autozone pulled the codes, got P0302 (Cyl 2 misfire).

I changed all my plugs a few weeks back with BOSCH Platinum+. Anyway, just wanted to know where Cyl #2 is. Based on haynes manual for 850, the cyl goes from 1 - 5 starting from timing belt side. I',m assuming same setup for S60.

Also just upgraded to EST Short Ram Intake . Coincidence or there is a connection ?

Car idles fine and drives fine. I guess once in a while (barely noticeable) it misfires and the computer flags it and turns on CEL. The messages window does not say Stop Immediately or some other message that would indicate Stop Driving. So I guess it is safe to drive the car in this condition. Is this a correct assumption ?

Will check plug, coil and injectors and see if it clears code permanently.

Thanks.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes it is the same as the 850.
I would have to say maybe the coil is going bad. It would have nothing to do with the intake.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:02 AM

replaced plug and inspected coil.

So far no misfires detected by OBD scanner for a couple of engine cycles.

Cannot really take the car out on the road yet as my whole front bumper is down. Fog light installation and front lip spoiler installion on-going.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Inspected the coil? How? You didn't fire it up and stick your tongue on it, did you?

A trick to see if coil #2 is bad is to switch it with, for example, coil #3. If #3 starts misfiring, then the coil is probably the culprit; especially if #2 fires just fine. If #2 keeps misfiring, I'd first suspect the cheapest -- ignition wiring to #2. Since you've already popped the top to do this, I'd do a compression check just for the heck of it.

I was going to answer the question of your thread by "under the hood, between #1 and #3" but figured that wouldn't really help.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by malaka
Inspected the coil? How? You didn't fire it up and stick your tongue on it, did you?

A trick to see if coil #2 is bad is to switch it with, for example, coil #3. If #3 starts misfiring, then the coil is probably the culprit; especially if #2 fires just fine. If #2 keeps misfiring, I'd first suspect the cheapest -- ignition wiring to #2. Since you've already popped the top to do this, I'd do a compression check just for the heck of it.

I was going to answer the question of your thread by "under the hood, between #1 and #3" but figured that wouldn't really help.
Just did a visual inspection looking for corrosion loose wires etc. Anyway first step is to replace plug. If the misfire is still there then my next step would be to swap coils and see if the other cylinder will misfire. I do not think this s60 has individual ignition wires.

So far so good as OBD still does not show any recorded misfires.