Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Where the heck do I check the tranny fluid at?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where the heck do I check the tranny fluid at?

2001 s50 5T..

WHERE is the the dip stick!?!?!?

Im at 86,000 miles, im sure a I need a flush, the dealer has my car right now replaceing a bad sunroof assembly, I might have the do it now. But I wouldlike to inspec the quality of the fluid before hand.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Where the heck do I check the tranny fluid at?

You're looking for a yellow dipstick. Stand facing the engine, between the throttle body and airbox, then tip your head down. About 2/3 of the way down will be your tranny's dipstick. One tip, it has a metal retaining clip that gets pushed out of the way before it will come loose. I pulled pretty hard on mine before I figured that one out.

As for a flush, there are plenty of threads discussing methods of doing it yourself in no time. If you're willing to try, you could really save.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:29 AM

Like 01_fast_ride said... It's short and kind of hidden under a radiator hose, but not too hard to check and replace once you see it down there.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:59 AM

ok, ill give it another go.. man, im no idiot (normally) and I have take sevral shot at finding it with no luck. (owned the card for a year now)

BTW: I just go the car back (without the flush) man ohh man! I missed my car and Love it all over again. I had the Altanator replaced, leaking turbo seals fixed, lower motor mountsreplaced, front arm bushings, the entire sunroof assembley with motor and new glass, and they gave me a new keyless remote since mine broke.

Allcovered under the extended maxxcar at carmax in ontiaro CA. They cant work on my car (due to not haveing the right computer stuff) so they just send it over to the volvo dealer down the street forall the work! not to shabby eh?over $3500 in parts and labor and I only spent $50 on the deductable. I took it in for the altanator, and mentionedsunroof problem, keyless remote, and oil leak, they found the leak, the bad bushings, bad motor mounts and had them replace too. only took 9 days Ohh yea for some reason they replaced a door acutuator as well, I didnt know it was bad???(spelling on that???) Earlier this year they replaced all 5 coils for $50 as well

I lvoe my Volvo! You should have seem to driving it home, proud as possible! So much better than my GF's Camery I have been driving.(I mainly miss my auto up and down front windows)

EDIT: Yea the extended card cost me $2,000, and lastuntill december 2009, or 109,000k miles, best 2g I have ever spend I say. I have allready pulled liek $5k out of it.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:30 AM

That warranty was a sweet deal.

I took some pics, mind you they are of my non-turbo. Nonetheless the dipstick is in the same location.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e..._ride/dip1.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e..._ride/dip2.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e..._ride/dip3.jpg

The third pic is to show the metal clasp that holds the dipstick tight. Just move it out of the way and it will come out very easy. Be sure to put it back in place when you're done.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:30 PM

Thanks for the pics, I found mine. It was a little more hidden becasue it was under the tube running to the intercooler. But I found it! And my fluid is not bad, its not red, but not brown or black! and still smells like ATF..

What does a dealer charge to do the chnge, I dont feel like messing with it..

Old 05-14-2008, 10:56 PM

Others have said that a flush can run about $400, since the fluid from Volvo is about $17/liter. There's a long thread about the atf and how its exactly the same as Mobil's 3309 fluid, which can be purchased for about $6/quart. But if you have the money and don't want to mess with it... that is perfectly OK.