Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

woeful experience with volvo to date

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default woeful experience with volvo to date

thought i had better share my grief since getting my s60 2.0T 3 months ago ..... as see whether there are anysimilar horror stories out there?

I have had to drop off my car at the local dealershipon numerous occasions in the preceding 3 months, to rectify defects with this brand new car, namely for the following defects and poor quality:

Window outer rubber seal design
Rear boot right-hand inner panel alignment
Rear window molding rubber seal
Poor finishing of side paneling within boot where edges are not properly secured.
Loose clip within internal roofing
Defective handbrake – despite being pulled up fully – car still moves when putting golf bags in the boot.
Rough car gear transmission
Erratic wiper motion (right wiper bottom section) – juddering and not smooth wiping motion even when drizzling/light rain. This has been a repeat problem.
Rattling sound emanating from right rear view mirror.
Loud scratching/chafing noises coming from front tyres when doing full turning. This has been a repeat problem.
Wheel misalignment
These numerous visits to drop off my carpaint a poor picture of quality assurance and reliability of Volvo cars. This raises innumerable questions on the quality assurance process at Volvo, or rather lack of a robust process in place. Understand that my car was assembled in Belgium and shippedas a complete built up (CBU) unit.

Despite my countless visits to the local dealership, the following major items remain unresolved:

Erratic wiper motion – juddering wiping motion of right wiper even on slowest speed when drizzling. My wiper has been changed at least on 3 different times with no positive outcome. I was advised by the local dealershipthat this juddering is normal as it is because of contaminants from rain, etc. I find this responseincredible- how is it that this supposed contaminant only affects my car and that too – only the right hand wiper’s bottom section and no where else?

One of the selling points (the other being the 17 inch rims), for me at least, before deciding on the S60 - was the smaller turning circle of the S60. Now I am told that with the 17 inch rims (which are reportedly not compatible with the S60), the turning circle has now been increased by 1 meter (from 10.8 m to 11.8 m) to avoid the repeat loud chafing and scratching noises from the front tyres when doing a full turn.This amounts to gross misrepresentation by the local dealership - who threw inthe 17 inch rims upgrade as a sweetener, without ever highlighting or explaining the limitations that came with it!

So what do you guys think?

Old 12-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Default RE: woeful experience with volvo to date

2.0T ? we don't get the 2.0T here. are you in the UK? If you are in the UK that would explain why you are having issues. Volvo ships all the perfect cars to the USA and all of the bad ones to the UK. Volvo assumes that since you guys made the LandRover and Jaguar you will think the problems are normal

My personal experince with the wipers on my 2006 V70 is that anything other than genuine Volvo wiper blades chatter. If the right arm is chattering with a genuine Volvo blade it could be wiper arm tension or a bent arm, Wiper arm tension is not adjustable on USA cars. You might want to insist on a new wiper arm.

USA versions of the S60 according to the owners manual will accept a 235/45/17.

BTW you might want to look at page 158 of your owners manual (UK)

Old 12-09-2007, 06:07 AM

not uk - singapore

Old 12-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All S60 have a large turning radius.
Wiper explanation from dealer is unacceptable. You should expect to have a smooth back and forth. Is it the wipers or the motor. It's one or the other. Try putting Rain X on the glass and then blast it with the wiper spray, if it doesn't work right tell the dealer you want to try it on an S60 on the lot.Bet you that it's smooth on that one.