Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Experience with Volvo Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with Volvo Navigation

I'm thinking about buying a new S40 and considering the navigation as a potentially fun and useful, although expensive, option. Does anyone have good or bad experiences with the Volvo nav systems? Does it have a voice/audio output or is it only a map? Any electronic or mechanical problems with the movement in and out of the dash?

Any info would be helpful.

Old 09-17-2004, 01:01 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Experience with Volvo Navigation

For the most part everything is good with the navigation system very help full.Yes it also has audio.

Old 09-22-2004, 09:18 PM

I have heard nothing but good things about the Nav in the S80 and XC90, so I am sure that the S40 is the same way. I also know someone who regrets it to this day for not spending the extra money on the option. How much is the option on the S40?

Old 02-02-2005, 05:21 AM

its going to be three time cheaper to by an after market one and it will work alot better I suggest the eclipes avn2454 of a simalar unit maybe the avicn1 or some thing . I had the eclipes in my wrx and loved it.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:48 AM

I have the original RTI + TV in my S80 T6 and it is great. I would never purchase an aftermarket navigator because of several reasons, but the main advantage of the original is:

a) the navigator control is fitted to the steerting wheel

b) the navigator screen is hideable and located at a very convenient spot

c) the navigator is connected to the audio system of the car = music from the radio will dim during navi announcements

d) you can have several different map cd's (max 6) in the carousel at the same time

Concidering all this and the fact that it looks quite nice, i would definately go for the original navigator.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:43 PM

Any idea about getting the volvo nav put in AFTER market? i've heard conflicting things.
i've heard you can't get it done at all, you have to have it in the car to begin with.
i've also heard you CAN get it done, however, you're looking at (i've heard different quotes), between $2500 - 4,000, from the dealer.

i DO like the indash position, and hidden factor.

is there a 3rd party after market that you can get installed in your dash as well? to raise and lower into the dash?

also, i drive a v50, so we're already limited as to what we can add, after market. no after market stereo's for us at all. however, i did verify with volvo today, that we CAN get the volvo 6 disc changer put in aftermarket, if we only have the stock.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:22 PM

How do I go about getting updated Nav. Discs. My Nav. is missing a lot of major roads. is this a dealer only option?

Old 12-14-2006, 12:03 PM

Taking a car to a dealer to put in dealer electronics will always cost you more than going aftermarket brand. The Volvo nav is awesome...but also requires special installation most install places wont touch. Not to mention places like Best Buy or Circut City will not honor warenties on things not purchased in their store so by default they won't install it. Which means you HAVE to have Volvo put it in for you. In my oppinion, the convienience, fit and fuction of the Volvo nav systems does not justify the close to $2000 extra you'd spend on it versus a comprarable functioning less fitted aftermarket system. And for the record....most aftermarket nav systems have a hide awy LCD screen now anyway. Infact, if you go with something like a Pioneer AVIC-N1 or Kenwood DDX6019 they'll double as high end stereo.

I've also been told that the interior of the V50 is the same as the V40....they make an aftermarket install kit for the V40. I understand there is no antena hook up in teh V50 but instead it's a fiber optic conection (which seems stupid to me but whatever) oh-well...throw some tin foil in the socket and you'll have reception. Even without an antena you'll still have AM reception