Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Bad experience with Volvo S60 2.4T

Old 04-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad experience with Volvo S60 2.4T

I purchased my S60 2.4T on Aug., 31th 2001. Now it's still less than 25,000 miles. But I already had so many problems.
First, when the car had less than 5000 miles the driver's door couldn't be locked.
Then I had the problem that the light bulbs constantly fail at about every thousand miles. The service people said it's because the voltage is so high and it's a common problem and there's nothing they can do about except replacing the bulbs.
About 4 month ago when I was 300 miles away from my home all of a sudden the remote key wouldn't work. When I opened the car with the real key, I found the electronics inside the car all went off. I couldn't even open the trunk because it requires the remote. I could still start the car and after I drove around 100 miles all of a sudden the electronics started to turn on and everything backed to normal. I sent it back to service they said that a recent recall regarding the fan in AC MIGHT be related to that problem. Nobody really knows why because the problem is so hard to replicate.
My recent problem is that when I'm driving the car on bumpy road it starts to give me squeaking sound inside. That sounds like something loose in the car. And the left speaker of the car also didn't function correctly because it gives a distorted sound occassionally. They admitted that it was a problem. However, they claimed that it should be an "adjustment" instead of repair. And it was only covered by 1 year warrenty. So I had to pay $200 out of my own pocket.
I just wanted to share the bad experience with you guys. And it's up to your judgement whether or not Volvo should treat customers as if it was their fault to purchase a car with problems.
Generally speaking, the car is very noisy. And I was told it was because of different suspension and different "flavor". But how come even the air conditioner is much noiser than my wife's Toyota Camry? How difficult is it for volvo to produce a quiet air conditioner?
I will scan the receipt and post it soon.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Bad experience with Volvo S60 2.4T

Did you ever get the noise in the front end fixed?

Old 04-06-2005, 04:23 PM

Now the squeak sound seems to be lower. But the speaker is not fixed yet. I have to bring the car over again next week to have it fixed. They charged me $200 to fix the noise. I don't even know how long it will last before it starts to squeak again. And the service representative said they will fix the speaker for me "as a courtesy". His is name is Bill working for Volvo Edison of NJ.
I will scan the receipt of that $200 and post it on Internet soon.

ORIGINAL: tech

Did you ever get the noise in the front end fixed?

Old 04-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Ok I was wondering if they had checked the upper spring seats and the sway bar links.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:45 AM

Hey I was reading your comment about the S60.....I am thinking about getting a 2002 s60 but I dont know anything about volvos... so I wondering if they are bad cars to get. Do you regret buying the car and what year is yours?

Thanks

Old 04-28-2005, 12:15 PM

just the other night was bored and went to the Volvo.us website and built a sweet '05 S60 T5 and was thinking about getting one, but now after reading all this I'm not sure. Have all these probs and attitudes from dealers popped up since Ford bought Volvo. Are thes common with all the "FordVo" models?

Below is the car I built online. the pictures didn't copy over but we all know what they look like.

April 26, 2005 -- 11:21 PM EDT

$42,220

MSRP $33,285
Added Options $8,240
Destination Fee $695
Total MSRP $42,220

Black Sapphire Metallic $475

7.5 x 17" Orpheus Alloy Wheels with 235/45/R17 Tires N/C

Taupe/Lt. Taupe Leather Sport Seats N/C

Premium Package $2,400
·Sport Seats, Leather Seating Surfaces
·Power Glass Moonroof
·Black Mesh Inlays (when ordered with Taupe/Lt.Taupe or Beige Leather Seating Surfaces)

Sport Body Package $1,995
·Front Spoiler, Lower Rear Spoiler, Trunk Spoiler, Side Sill Moldings, Lower Door Edge Moldings
·Available with Silver Metallic, Black Sapphire Metallic, Titanium Grey Metallic and Magic Blue Metallic exterior colors as a factory option.

Touring Package $495
·Grocery Bag Holder
·Laminated Side Windows with Water Repellant Glass for Front Side Windows

HU-850 Audio System with 6-CD In-Dash, AM/FM Stereo, Dolby Pro-Logic II® Surround Sound, 4x75-Watt Amplifier and 25-Watt Center Speaker, 13 Speakers $1,200

Power Glass Moonroof N/C

Park Assist, Rear $400

Interior Air Quality System (IAQS) $175

Four-C Adaptive Suspension with Two Switchable Chassis Modes: Comfort and Sport $1,100

$8,240

$33,285

Standard Features
·2.3-Liter, 5-Cylinder, Double Overhead Cam, Turbocharger with Intercooler
·257 hp
·6-Speed Manual Transmission
·Front Wheel Drive
·Driver and Front Passenger Supplemental Restraint System - Dual-Threshold Air Bags
·Side Impact Air Bags for Driver and Front Passenger
·Inflatable Side Curtains (IC)
·Whiplash Protection Seating System (WHIPS)
·Security System
·Dynamic Stability and Traction Control (DSTC)
·Power-Adjustable Driver Seat, 8-Way with 3-Position Memory and Lumbar Support
·Power-Adjustable Passenger Seat, 8-Way with Lumbar Support
·Leather Steering Wheel
·Dual-Zone Electronic Climate Control (ECC)
·Trip Computer
·Premium Audio System with Single In-Dash CD
·16" Alloy Wheels

Warranty
·4 Years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first

Roadside Assistance
·Volvo On Call Roadside Assistance
·4 Years

Maintenance
·Factory Scheduled Maintenance
·First four services performed within 3 Years or 36,000 Miles, whichever occurs first

$695

$42,220

As a model year progresses, changes may occur in some of the specifications, features, optional equipment and pricing. The manufacturer reserves the right to make such changes.

Optional equipment may vary by region. See your Authorized Volvo Retailer for details of the most current package/option program. The $685 destination charge is an additional fee. Colors, interiors and actual images of the vehicle are not a true representation of the actual colors and/or product. It's best to view the actual product at your Authorized Volvo Retailer.

Old 04-28-2005, 02:06 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Volvo's certainly have some reliability issues..................unlike what I experience in two Mazdas that we currently drive. That aside, my gripe is the poor warranty that Volvo gives. There may well be a four year warranty......................but just wait until you need service on a failed part and you will hear that "adjustments" are what is needed and that is not covered.....................an "adjustment" is always at least $200.00 and you will find that a lot of "adjustment" is needed. On the other side of the coin is whether you want a rather unique auto. My Volvo is a c-70 and the styling is timeless and very pleasing. I also drive a BMW Hartge H-3 and an Austin Healey.................

Old 05-10-2005, 02:51 PM

This is the second volvo i have owned. The first one gave me a lot of problems but I thought I would buy the t5 because i had heard so many good things about them. Not so sure that I have done the right thing.