Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Would you recommend an S60 for a reliable/inexpensive daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you recommend an S60 for a reliable/inexpensive daily driver?

I was wondering if you all could help me out with some info on the S60. I am looking for an inexpensive all season daily driver. I am considering all options and am aware that Volvos can be a bit more costly to repair and or maintain but in the big picture I am ok with that providing they are a simple/reliable option.

-What are the best year/engine/transmission combinations? What years/models should be avoided?

-What are the "big things" to make sure have been done before a purchse i.e. timing belts? particular services? I am ok with small oddball quirks that can be dealt with over time but I am trying to avoid any stranded or catestrophic issues and if an S60 isn't a good option what would be? I have heard that a volvo turbo will last the life of the car and that it is the seals that need to be taken care of every so often. Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:05 PM

I've owned a 2002 S60 for 5 years, and bought it with 90,000 miles on it. This is just my experience... Overall it has been a nice car but has also cost me a lot of money. I've never been left stranded but have had a bunch of issues to deal with. The fuel pump started leaking (this is a known issue with these - there was a recall). The dealer replaced at no charge. My DIM (instrument cluster) went haywire and needed to be replaced. They cost around a minimum of $500 to have rebuilt and over $1,000 new. I installed a used one. It also failed after awhile and had the same issues the first one had. I'm currently on my third instrument cluster - it is still working well for now. I've also had the BCM (brake control module) go bad on me. That will cause the ABS, Traction Control, etc to all stop working. I've had that rebuilt but I've still got an issue with the cruise control not working. I've lost count of the amount of miles on the car due to the BCM and DIM issues. I've had a lot of sounds in the suspension and have had to replace spring seats (common replacement item). I've had to replace the thermostat twice. Had to replace the oxygen sensor and an ignition coil. Lastly, I believe I also have problems with the ETM (electronic throttle module) that it seems is also a very common problem. Fluctuating idle is the biggest symptom, and sometimes hard shifting as well which might be related to the transmission (I hear there are common transmission problems with the 01 and 02 S60's especially).

Overall I really do like the car but it's the big electric issues like this that drive me crazy - and from researching online it seems like they're all very common for cars of this year.

I think a lot of the issues have been worked out in the later years though. This is probably a given but I'd avoid the 01 and 02s for sure.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:04 PM

I have a 2001 S60 and I love it. I have about 223,000 miles on it and it is still going strong. I haven't had to replace any major engine components yet, just things that go bad after 223,000 miles of use. I re-did basically the whole front end suspension wise because it was all getting rattly, but again that's after 223,000 miles on it. I was actually given the car by my dad at around 212,000 miles. I didn't have to pay for it, but the deal was I replace the fuel pump and alternator before I take it to school (two things he thought were important to replace if I didn't want to get stranded). Even though I replaced them, they were still working after 200,000 miles which is incredible. I too had issues with the throttle control, which was also covered by warranty. Those things do go bad after a decade or so though. Other than that it's a great car. Not a spot of rust on the body either, and it's a Wisconsin car. Volvo just makes a really solid vehicle.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:16 PM

The gas mileage is so-so. I can get about 27 avg highway but its low twenties to high teens if I do a lot of city driving. I have a 2.3L T5, so the four cyl is probably a tad better in terms of gas. The 2001 model really hasn't had a serious recall besides the throttle control (which kinda sucks if it fails because you can't go more than like 20mph so you're kinda s.o.l. if you're far from anywhere). I haven't heard of any tranny issues with the early 2000's models of the S60. The only tranny issues I've heard of with Volvos is mid 2000s XC90s. I love my S60 and I think it's a very reliable car that'll last me a good while yet. Just take care of the car like you're supposed to and it'll last you forever. By the way, after my dad handed me my 2001 S60, he went and got the same exact car, just a different color, and he's a very very **** engineer so you know it's gotta be a good car.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:37 AM

I have a 2002 Volvo s60 that has currently about 196k on it. I bought it around 80k. Overall it has been a solid car but like about any European made car it can be expensive to maintain that is if you can't do the work yourself.

Other than the dreaded transmission slipping problem for like 01-03 s60's around like 60-90k miles I got stuck with one. Had to buy a salvage one about 5 years ago and swapped out that was $2k. The car other some some goofy electrical problems has been great. Radio changing channels on its own, dashboard cluster, alarm going off on its own when the weather goes from cold to hot or hot to humid.

I will say to own one of these 01-05 s60'S at this stage in their lifespan you have to be a bit of a do it yourself person.

I literally knew nothing about cars 3-4 years ago but thanks to youtube and this website I have been able to do things I never thought possible. I mean for me changing rotors and break pads was like rocket science. Now its not a big deal. Suspension work I am very comfortable with for the most part. As well as spark plugs replacing electrical harnesses in the trunk. Most of it is not rocket science and can be done if you have some basic mechanical tools.

Overall as these cars age suspension needs to be replace, the Dashboard cluster will slowly shorting out at 120-130k+ miles and needs to be sent in for a $150-200 repair. Bulbs might burn out quicker than other vehicles. Other than that I change my oil and filters in a reasonable amount of time. Other than a dead battery every time I have turned the key it has started.

I love my s60 probably because of everything I had to learn to keep it rather than get a new car over the past few years. My critera is pretty simple if I start it will it drive or will it break down and leave me on the side of the road. Basically no major engine or transmission problems and I am good. Most everything else can be dealt with.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine for 7 years - 2005 s60 2.5T. 90,000 miles.
Problems I've had:
Bulbs burn out quick.
Washer pump died three times.
Replaced an axle.
Persistent leak from unknown location in driver's footwell.
Replaced crankcase breather tube - pretty easy to do.

Pros: Great ride, nice performance, very comfy, solid and safe. I think the drive train is bullet proof.
Cons: Bad gas mileage <20mpg around town. Little annoying things (see above).

Like the poster above said. I can deal with this stuff - but once it leaves me stranded and I need to spend serious $$ on repairs then I will say good bye. Until then we're good.

So would I recommend it for a daily driver? If you want performance and that euro-luxury feel - then yes. It's cheaper than a BMW. But if you just want cheap reliable transportation then get a toyota camry.