Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

1999 S70 Alternator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 S70 Alternator Replacement

My S70 has been starting slowly (eithe rthe battery is dead or my alternator is going bad). I had my battery and alternator tested yesterday and found that my alternator is going bad (battery tested fine).

I had a heck of a time finding the part. The local Schucks and Napa both did not have the correct part in stock. Hopefully I'll get by until it gets in!

Now that I've got the part, I figure that I may as well do the work myself. Is this a difficult job? Has anyone done this before?

Also, does anyone know a good source online that shows instructions for replacing an alternator? I've looked (and will continue to do so), but I haven't found anything yet.

1999 Volvo S70 T5
194K miles

Old 01-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: 1999 S70 Alternator Replacement

Its pretty straight foward.
Remove the power steering pump.
Then the Alt. but you will have to loosen the A/C compressor screws.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:42 PM

Bump: I just replaced the battery in my 99 s70 and now I believe the alternator has gone bad. The car is sitting in my driveway so I'd like to do the work myself if possible. I have never changed out an alternator before but I am going to attempt to change this one. How do I go about removing the power steering pump? Which bolts do I loosen? Thanks!

Old 07-16-2010, 06:00 PM

There are three bolts behind the PS pump pulley that are accesible once you remove the belt and turn the PS pulley till the holes line up with the three bolts. You also must remove the PS pressure line. Leave the hose attached and fold it all on top of the cam cover. Three bolts for the alternator and two of them are on the AC compressor. You must also slacken the bottom compressor bolts to slide the alternator out. Typically you can just replace the regulator and save the money on the alternator.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Default S70 Alternator Not so Clear

Originally Posted by Dealer_Tech
There are three bolts behind the PS pump pulley that are accesible once you remove the belt and turn the PS pulley till the holes line up with the three bolts. You also must remove the PS pressure line. Leave the hose attached and fold it all on top of the cam cover. Three bolts for the alternator and two of them are on the AC compressor. You must also slacken the bottom compressor bolts to slide the alternator out. Typically you can just replace the regulator and save the money on the alternator.
I have removed the Serpentine Tensioner Pulley, Power Steering Pump, the Bolts for the Alternator, However can anyone explain in Detail Step by Step Exactly how to get the Alternator out of it's location in the car??? Do you have to lift up a half inch, slide it backward & then tilt it 5% to the front of the car, or can you slide it out straight toward the Right Front Fender etc etc. I have looked in the Haynes Repair manual, Chilton Manual, Volvo Repair CD etc. None of these really explain. They more less say lift it out or slide it out? But mine just doe not lift out, slide out. I not having much luck?? Does anyone know the answer to this?

Old 09-30-2010, 09:18 PM

I have a bad set of brushes on my alternator (I am guessing) (215,000 on original alternator and its begining to cause a flickering alt light- had it checked, wiring, battery, and diodes ok) I am going to be replacing my alt sometime soon and I have the same question- were you able to figure out how to get it out??
thanks

Old 09-12-2011, 08:53 PM

Can someone tell me if the serpentine tensioner is connected to the timing belt? I think I have to loosen the serpenine tensioner to take out the serpentine belt. Right?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:37 AM

The serpentine belt and tensioner for the serpentine belt are mutually exclusive to the timing belt. You have to remove the serpentine belt to replace the alternator. You do not have to touch the timing belt to replace the alternator or to remove the power steering pump. You will need a breaker and somthing like a 12mm socket on the serpentine tensioner to relieve the tension on the belt (much easier on this car then my S40).