Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

1999 S70 T5 CEL and Timing Belt Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 S70 T5 CEL and Timing Belt Question

I bought a used S70 T5 with 60k miles on it this past weekend, very well maintained. However it had a CEL on and is the Camshaft Position sensor/CVVT Solenoid. I replaced the plugs today and while I did that I had the cover off over the timing belt and can see tiny little cracks in the belt which I assume since the car is almost 10 years old that would mean I need to replace the timing belt. With that being said I did find a person with a similar issue and it turned out his CELs were caused by the timing belt jumping one tooth. So I guess my question is do I just need to buckle down and replace the timing belt and is this most likely the culprit of the CELs?

The car runs fine it seems and averaged around 25mpg driving it home from austin, it does seem to moan quite a bit when idling or acceleration between 0-5mph.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1999 S70 T5 CEL and Timing Belt Question

ORIGINAL: prime81

I bought a used S70 T5 with 60k miles on it this past weekend, very well maintained. However it had a CEL on and is the Camshaft Position sensor/CVVT Solenoid. I replaced the plugs today and while I did that I had the cover off over the timing belt and can see tiny little cracks in the belt which I assume since the car is almost 10 years old that would mean I need to replace the timing belt. With that being said I did find a person with a similar issue and it turned out his CELs were caused by the timing belt jumping one tooth. So I guess my question is do I just need to buckle down and replace the timing belt and is this most likely the culprit of the CELs?

The car runs fine it seems and averaged around 25mpg driving it home from austin, it does seem to moan quite a bit when idling or acceleration between 0-5mph.
First off: The next breath you take should involve changing the timing belt immediately. Change the serpentine belt immediately. Change the timing tensioner, and Idler pully and water pump along with the timing belt. Don't even drive the car until you do.

The moaning is probably the upper torque mount which can be changed out inexpensively.

Your timing belt hasn't jumped a tooth or you would know it, it would idle like crap and your mileage would suffer.

If the car is 10 years old, I don't care what mileage it has on it, you have to change a host of things. Timing belt, Serp belt, PCV system total, cam seals, crank seals, suspension parts, trans oil, plugs, shock mounts, fuel filter, and cabin air filters.

Yes that's a thousand bucks worth or parts, and two thousand to have a mechanic do it or more. But that's the price of ownership.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:18 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would do the belt soon. Also the code might be from the camshaft reset valve bolted to the cam cover over the exhaust cam.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And if the timing belt was never replaced it was not very well maintained, since it has a CEL that kind of proves it.

Might look good, but having a 10 year old car on the original belt is not smart.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:59 AM

Well the car has been taken really good care of, probably garaged most of it's life. The CEL doesn't seem to hinder performance or gas mileage as I drove it to my Volvo dealer yesterday and it got 27-28mpg. In any case they approved that the timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, and while it's apart the seals should be replaced and quoted me $585. So on the 29th she'll get to undergo surgeory! Anyway here is a few pics of the beast!

Old 12-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Looks really good!!!

I have always wanted a set of those rims painted Gray for my Yellow R.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:09 PM

Cant really see it in the picture but the battery is not mounted at all and didnt have enough CCA. The idiot dealership I bought it from apparently changed the battery and didnt put the correct one or mount it(mounting piece was just sitting beside the battery). So I bought a battery and mounted it properly, Im suprised they didnt fry something putting the wrong battery on it.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:15 AM

Those rims are called columbia and I found several places when I googled that sold them, around 150 a piece tho.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: prime81

Those rims are called columbia and I found several places when I googled that sold them, around 150 a piece tho.
Sorry but the ones on the white car in my sig are columbia's those are different ones I forget the name.

I will get the name soon and post it.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:13 PM

Yea I had to look close to see the difference, very similar tho.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 AM

Tech I had two different dealers tell me the camshaft position sensor (at rear of exhaust cam) was a dud. $200 later and its still pulling code P0014. Now Ive found that it could possibly be a faulty fuel pressure regulator which leaks gas into the cylinder during startup and trips the sensor as if the engine is out of timing. The other which Im going to try tomorrow is cleaning the cam position actuator which is located near the tbelt on the top of the engine under the black cover. If it looks clean, what would you recommend?

Im not even sure this code is hurting the car, it runs flawlessly and has plenty of power and of course the mileage is pretty dang good.

This is what I found on volvospeed referring to the fuel pressure regulator.

"Found the solve to the P0014 problem today.( I hope) Went to auto zone and still had the same code. I would like to mention one key symptom that I had. When the car was cold started great!!( as mention before), But!! when it was hot (driven about 10 - 15 miles, and sat for 1hr) started very hard. Problem: faulty fuel pressure regulater. How to check: The fuel PSI reg. is located on the S40 to the side of the throttle body.( under the small black cover held in place by two screws. A short rubber with plastic tube vacum hose leaves the valve, and connects below infront of the throttle body area. Remove it completly, turn it up side down tap it on your finger to see if gas comes out. Yes = bad valve no = good valve. "

"How does this cause the code(P0014) that says cam is out of time?? easy: Gas leaks from fuel PSI reg. into cylinders via vacum hose causing a flooding situation (noticed black smoke when someone started it) You go to start engine and it turns over alot before starting. this causes low rpm long duration revalotions of the cam before ignition is reconized by computer. VVT works on start up based on oil PSI. Long crank time low RPM trips the VVT system and tells ECM that timing is off.(P0014) If engine starts right off it creates normal oil PSI sets VVT and completes cam / crank circuit. The held machanic (Bill) (certified and proven best volvo tec in Vermont by Volvo Corp)& machanics manager at Almartins Volvo in shelburn Vermont took me into the shop and did the diagnostic on the car right infront of me. He pulled the vac hose and I saw the gas come out. Siad he had (3) other cars do this, and it caused a P0014 code. changed the fuel PSI reg. and cars have not returned yet.(more than a year now) The dealer even called Volvo tec suport for help. Thank god Bill walked over when he had the free time, and ask about the symptoms. Had the solve to the problem first thing. Went to a restaurant on the way home had a bite to eat. came out 1 hr later car started first thing. Yes !!!!!!."

Old 01-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Administrator

I would start with the VVT solenoid on the cam cover. That is a pretty common problem.

The S40 is the one that has problems with the FPR.
It is very rare for the S70 to have a FPR problem.

You didn't just have the t-belt done did you?

Old 01-07-2009, 01:52 PM

Yes I did have it done actually, but this timing problem and code problem was around before the belt was done.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Administrator

OK just wanted to make sure.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:43 PM

I may have solved it with cleaning the cam position solenoid, I also pulled the fuse on the emission systems while making sure codes werent in the system with my scanner. To my suprise after everything was done it started up and I had no CEL. The gasket is alittle worn so Ill go ahead and order one of those.

Basically removed top cover over timing belt area, 4 8mm bolts and it comes right off. Went down to autozone and picked up some heavy duty non chlorinated brake cleaner and cleaned both the gasket and the solenoid. Put it all back in, pulled the emission system fuse, turned it to on position with scanner to make sure no codes, turned it off, put fuse back in... and fired it right up.

Anyway here is a couple of pictures

Old 01-07-2009, 04:44 PM

Somehow it double posted.... weird

Old 01-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Hopefully that does it. Usually it will start fine and run fine. After you drive it and get on it hard for a few shut it off and try to restart it. That is when it will usually come back on.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:15 AM

Well looks like I'm gonna havta replace the solenoid, it is still pulling the code. However I think I'm going to take it back my dealer and tell them I think the timing is off, and perhaps the mechanic didn't reset the cvvt.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Thats a possibility.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:59 PM

Tech I think I found the wheels you were talking about called "perfo"

http://www.swedishautoparts.com/S70/Volvo-S70-Rims.html

Quick Reply: 1999 S70 T5 CEL and Timing Belt Question