Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Adding a Blow off valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a Blow off valve

If anyone can please help me with this one question id appreciate it greatly. I have a 1999 Volvo S-70 and im hesitant to put on my Blow off valve not because the blow off valve itself but because i have a turbo obviously and when the air will go through the piping and instead of heading straight to where it would regularly go it will instead flow into the blow off valve. would this cause my car to stall since the amount of air flow will be significantly reduced ? I also have a sensor on my piping which i think is for the air flow and fuel and all that i heard that thats not good to mix with a B.O.V.

Please help me!

thanks - tony

Old 07-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Default RE: Adding a Blow off valve

As opposed to putting a BOV on a naturally aspirated car? What kind of idiot are you? Do you even understand how a BOV works or what it's purpose is? I'd venture to say NO, and while a BOV is an extremely easy mod, it's probably beyond your ability.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:15 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The blow out valve prevents the turbo from blowing apart.
Most turbo's have one built in.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:38 PM

i think alec needs a blow off valve

Old 07-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Administrator

MAYBE!!!! LOL

Old 07-23-2005, 08:31 PM

but in all seriousness, i think tony and i are coming from the same page when we talk about how cool a blow off would be in the sense that you see (actually hear) those cars that have a very distuingishable and loud blow off valve noise. how do you get that sound? big exhaust?

Old 07-23-2005, 08:56 PM

With each post you further strengthen my position... you're an uneducated rice-boy that happens to drive a Volvo. 3 of the 4 cars that I've owned have been turbocharged. 2 of them (Eagle Talons's) had blow off valves stock because they actually required them (ran 15+psi). Your Volvo is probably pushing about 7psi, hardly enough to require a BOV. If you just want the noise then get one of those ricey BOV simulators. If you actually bought a BOV (i.e. Greddy Type-S) you'd probably leave it venting back to the atmosphere instead of running it back into the intake tract and then wonder why your car was stumbling and idling poorly.

*edit* Looks like I've confused Tony and S70****** They think similarly enough to warrant the confusion however.

Old 07-23-2005, 09:46 PM

once again alec comes through with a completely unneccesary rant. the fact that i am uneducated is the reason i came to these forums, to get educated. i didnt ask for a smartass comment.If you dont have anything beneficial to say, dont respond. i actually appreciated the middle portion of your response where you told me my approximate psi and that there were BOV simulators, as i did not know that. Thanks for the input, and keep flaming this post with your grudge!

Old 07-23-2005, 11:16 PM
Administrator

The blow off valve will work fine with the 7PSI of boost.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

He is asking for help and some people are just calling names and talking S***.Explain so he understands or don't respond at all.

People come here to teach or to learn.

The Bull S*** is not needed!!!

Old 07-24-2005, 02:22 AM

Did I say the BOV wouldn't work? No, I said it was unneccessary, because it is.

Old 07-24-2005, 03:26 AM
Administrator

Did I say you said it wouldn't work?

I still don't understand what the fuss is all about.

You can tell he doesn't understand the workings of it.

It would be easier to explain it to him then to keep arguing with him about it.

Or just let the post die.

Old 07-24-2005, 03:20 PM

AlecW ... like honestly.. i came here to learn .. and i dont really care what kind of cars you had or have.. and i obviously dont really know anything about B.O.V's which was the reason i posted up my message .. i tried to explain it to the best of my ability and thats that. It does NOT however mean i am uneducated just because i dont know all there is to know about volvos doesnt mean you have to go on a big argument and start causing drama. You honestly sound like a prissy B*TCH everyone who is trying to help i really really do apreciate it and for you AlecW your worthless to this forum just leave.. you might know alot about my post but your obviously not putting your part in to try to solve it so just dont even put you say into it. Unless you have something meaningful to say that will help me id rather you just back up, thank you. - tEe

Old 07-24-2005, 03:27 PM

ORIGINAL: alecw81

As opposed to putting a BOV on a naturally aspirated car? What kind of idiot are you? Do you even understand how a BOV works or what it's purpose is? I'd venture to say NO, and while a BOV is an extremely easy mod, it's probably beyond your ability.
I have been a member here for all of 5 minutes and I have already run into a Jack@$$. You sir should have ignored his post if you did not want to provide any kind of information or insight. What exactly will ragging on him for asking a question do to you? Make your e-di** larger? BTW, arguing with people on the internet and getting "all bent out of shape" on a forum is ludicrous, that is why I am ending my post here.

Old 07-24-2005, 06:00 PM

HAHAHAH YES! FORUM CLOSED.

Old 07-25-2005, 01:10 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: S60T5

I have been a member here for all of 5 minutes and I have already run into a Jack@$$. You sir should have ignored his post if you did not want to provide any kind of information or insight. What exactly will ragging on him for asking a question do to you? Make your e-di** larger? BTW, arguing with people on the internet and getting "all bent out of shape" on a forum is ludicrous, that is why I am ending my post here.
That is kind of harsh from a Newbie.

Like I said before this place is for us to share opinions and also facts.

It is not for name calling and giving attitudes.

Lets all just try to get along!!![sm=bustedsign.gif]

Old 07-25-2005, 03:55 AM

Can I help it if absolutely nobody else can understand why I "ragged" on him in the first place? If you've been in the tuning world for more than 5 minutes (like Tech) then I would think you would understand my point. If you don't understand how a certain mod works in the first place, why would you consider installing it? It starts with a novice wanting a BOV, then they think they know everything, they hook up an MBC and crank the boost up a little, then they decide to "slap on" a megasquirt and are surprised when their engine blows. You can say I'm "ranting" and just talking ****, really I'm just trying to save you from yourself.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:57 AM

Alec just stop posting, none of your posts in this topic have been beneficial.

Old 07-25-2005, 01:17 PM

The poor guy came here to ask a question. The first thing you say is "what kind of idiot are you?". I do not believe that to be appropriate. He wants to learn. If you don't want to give him information, then ask him to search or give him a website address so he can read up on turbocharging. There is no reason to belittle the man for asking a question in an attempt to become more knowledgeable about his car.

I am not trying to attack you in any way, but the poor guy was just looking for some help.

Old 07-25-2005, 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

ORIGINAL: S60T5

That is kind of harsh from a Newbie.

Like I said before this place is for us to share opinions and also facts.

It is not for name calling and giving attitudes.

Lets all just try to get along!!![sm=bustedsign.gif]
I agree.

Old 07-26-2005, 05:59 PM

first of all you smart ***(alec), im not going to install it, i never said im even certainly getting one, i just wanted to know if theres any down side in them. and i tried explaining it to the best of my ability because i just didnt want to say a 5 word sentence and end my message, i tried to explain to the members my problem and your obviously not helping one bit. I dont think i know everything, hence, i came onto this forums site. and im not getting a boost control. im not going to blow my engine because i wont be the one installing it my friend will be because he knows alot more about it then i do and probally you too .. considering you just sit there and bitch half the time.. if your so smart then tell me your thoughts in a positive way for once.

Quick Reply: Adding a Blow off valve