Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

another new s70 owner with questions.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another new s70 owner with questions.

hi guys, names jason. picked up my s70 on monday and cant get enough of driving it!

it's a 1999 2.5l turbo (GLT?) with 156k (kilometeres) completely original inside and out. i have a few questions that i hope can be cleared up for me.

firslty, ive done a little bit of research, but haven't quite found out what amount of boost the 2.5l turbo (glt? low pressure?) runs. and what the maximum safe amount of boost they can run (with and without extensive mods).

secondly, today i decided to make a video of the exhaust note as a refference for a before and after comparison, during this i had warmed the car up, then proceeded to rev a few times, the res eventually cut out at around 4000rpm, (my original guess was a saftey feature for not overrevving the motor). it did the same whilst in park and neutral (it's an auto). is this normal? or is there something going on that shouldn't be? i have seen videos on yuotube of s70's reving way past 4krpm.

thirdly, my check engine light is on, from light research i can find out what code that light is signaling (or whatever) through an item called an obd? can i obtain an obd reader from and local auto store? or is it speciffically for mechanics/volvo themselves to use? could my check engine light have anything o do with the rev cutout problem i stated above?

that's all i have to ask right now, hopefully they can be cleared up. thanks guys.

Last edited by gti_rsi; 11-10-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:16 PM

anyone?

Old 11-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

First off, it's not good to sit and rev a cold turbo. You should allow the engine to warm up properly before you ever rev the engine, that's with any car, especially a turbo. Second, a turbo should be properly cooled off before you shut it off. If shut off to hot it can damage the turbo because of excessive heat not allowing to excape.

Besides that, the car should rev up to the red line easily. This should be done while driving if necessary. Yes you can check your CEL with a code reader. The port should be in the arm rest area. Yes it is likely that the code has something to do with your car's rpm's being limited to 4,000 rpms.

As for the turbo pressure. I believe the LPT is set to something like 8 psi. They have ecu upgrades that will take it to around 12 if I'm not mistaken. I believe I seen it in an iPd magazine. I'm pretty sure you have a 2.4 engine.
http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S70V70-P...-128-372-2189/

Old 11-12-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
First off, it's not good to sit and rev a cold turbo. You should allow the engine to warm up properly before you ever rev the engine, that's with any car, especially a turbo. Second, a turbo should be properly cooled off before you shut it off. If shut off to hot it can damage the turbo because of excessive heat not allowing to excape.

Besides that, the car should rev up to the red line easily. This should be done while driving if necessary. Yes you can check your CEL with a code reader. The port should be in the arm rest area. Yes it is likely that the code has something to do with your car's rpm's being limited to 4,000 rpms.

As for the turbo pressure. I believe the LPT is set to something like 8 psi. They have ecu upgrades that will take it to around 12 if I'm not mistaken. I believe I seen it in an iPd magazine. I'm pretty sure you have a 2.4 engine.
http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S70V70-P...-128-372-2189/
the motor wasn't cold as i stated in my first post, i had warmed it up previously to operating temp, and yes i do know about gving the motor half a minute to cool off, i'm not unfamiliar with turbo car's, i grew up around them. a turbo timer is on the mods to come list. whilst driving the motor revs freely thorugh all the gears etc, but neutral and park won't go above 4krpm, no smoke is blown whilst doing so.

so 12psi is safe to run on the 13g? i had previously read (from light researching of unnoficial sources) that 10psi was the maximum safe boost? just trying to clear it all up before i go making decisions upping the boost. again a boost guage is on the mods to come list, possibly installing one this weekend f i get around to it.

heres the interesting bit, you say i have a 2.4l, the badge on the back says 2.5t (i'm from australia btw) supposedly my motor is the 142kw (197hp) version according to wikipedia although i can't be quite sure as it states it' awd, where mine is fwd. EDIT: didn't realise the GLT on the list in wikipedia, that may be mine? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_S70

Last edited by gti_rsi; 11-12-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:09 AM
Administrator

GTI, didn't mean to rub you wrong about the turbo abuse. We get some many 1st time car owners that have no knowledge about cars or what operating temp is. They think that the temp guage is 100% when in fact it will show neutral when it's still 40 degrees cold.

It looks like you do have a 2.5t. I was thinking our S70 GLT was a 2.4 but I guess not. The edge of our car just says GLT, no 2.???.

Being outside of the US, you could have many other options that are not offered in the USA. The Euro market has several engine/features options that are not offered here. So I don't know what you would have. As for Wiki, anyone can chime in and edit that site. :}

Last edited by rspi; 11-12-2010 at 07:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-12-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
GTI, didn't mean to rub you wrong about the turbo abuse. We get some many 1st time car owners that have no knowledge about cars or what operating temp is. They think that the temp guage is 100% when in fact it will show neutral when it's still 40 degrees cold.

It looks like you do have a 2.5t. I was thinking our S70 GLT was a 2.4 but I guess not. The edge of our car just says GLT, no 2.???.

Being outside of the US, you could have many other options that are not offered in the USA. The Euro market has several engine/features options that are not offered here. So I don't know what you would have. As for Wiki, anyone can chime in and edit that site. :}
all good, from what i know here in aus it's just called an s70 badged with 2.5t under the right rear tail light, no glt or anything like that. and seeing most sites i have visitied have shown the 2.5t has 142kw in the tech sections. leading me to believe wiki was on the money.

as for the options, i'm not fully educated yet with all the features it contains. still finding new things all the time. still trying to figure out if theres a factory bov, as i have a turbosmart one laying around that will do the job, not looking for the loud **** factor style bovs, just a simple phhssh that's noticable. im not liking how quiet the turbo spool is though, even with the bottom of the airbox removed it's still almost too quiet to hear. im hoping an open cone air filter ( i know, hot air and all) and cat back exhuast can fix that problem. aswell as increased boost later on.

where can i get myself an CEL? or OBD? reader?

Old 11-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Administrator

I simply purhcased one from eBay that was shipped to me from China I think. (Shuuuuuuuuuuuuu don't tell anyone). It was Top ??? brand. The connector is in the armrest area.

I have seen a couple of people drill a small hole in the fire wall behind the turbo to get the sound effects you are looking for. You can put a tube in it to control the amount of sound, etc. that comes through the hole. Do enjoy!

Old 11-12-2010, 11:39 PM

ahh cool, will be on the hunt for one now. drilling a hole in the firewall sounds abit dodgey haha, i jus installed a cone air filter but to no avail there is still minimal spool noise. on the plus side i installed a boost guage this arvo and it's running 6psi (on a very hot 29 degree celcius day). according to the link you provided before, an ecu tune brings the boost up to 12psi, with a mbc i could up mine to 8-10psi safely i assume. wil first be getting the exhaust done, would a 2.5" catback be sufficient? or is 3" catback the way to go?

Old 11-15-2010, 05:05 PM

boost is now only running at 4PSI for some wierd reason, anyone know why it's dropped off like that overnight?

Old 11-16-2010, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Not sure about the boost. I'm not a mod guy, just a keep it running forever guy. You may want to check a few of the other sites like www.TurboBricks.com or www.SwedSpeed.com. If you go to iPd's site, they have a link to other forums. http://ipdusa.com/Volvo-Forums-Clubs...-Sites/blog-30

As for exhaust, I think 2.5" will be fine. Many have done it, 3" is more for street racing.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:53 PM

hmm, cheers for the sites, will give them a quick scan over. i've aready got this exact same thread over at volvospeed to see if i ca get some answers, thge boost is wierd, it'll start off at 6psi, then gradually fade down to 4psi after a little bit of driving, i can't quite tell if im actually loosing any power though. 6psi sometimes feels like it pulls harder other times, it doesnt.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:26 AM

here's a question for you tech guys, I've recently done some homework and found that if the boost is falling over a period of time driving that it could possibly be the BCS being funky and faulting/dead. thus boost is then controlled manually through the actuator as a fail safe, and researching further shows the TD04HL actuator has a spring rated at 4.5psi, coincidentally the exact same boost I'm running after boost falloff. do you think I'm possibly onto something here? or am i completely wrong? I've rung around a few wreckers for a 2nd hand BCS, although new would be better i don't feel like forking out an arm and a leg for something i don't really know is the problem yet. suggestions?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:27 PM

My 2000 has the same 4k rev limit when not actually out driving it. And the codes are clear.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:53 PM

hmm, must be something to do with the me7 ecu, can anyone else with a 99 or up confirm this?

edit: my scanner arrived this morning, there is 1 and only 1 code in my car and that is a P1171. being a generic scanner (and a manufacturer specific code) it didn't know what it was, so i researched and came up with long term fuel trim upper limit. here's the thing, i just cleaned out the MAF sensor with maf cleaner to see if it help's and it made my idle somewhat better, also my boost is sticking around 5-6ish psi lately, but that's probably a different story, i also have an o2 sensor in the glove box, (was in there when i bought the car). possibly the previous owner had intended to or did change the 2 sensor? any suggestions? i still haven't disconnected the wastegate vac line for fear of breaking the nipple. will wait for when my boost controller arrives when i do that.

Last edited by gti_rsi; 11-23-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:50 AM

just discovered this earlier today. not sure if they're factory fitted for us down here in australia, i've seen they are offered as upgrades in 2 different stages. could explain why it really does stick to the road like shiznit to a blanket, as i discovered that also today when my brother and i decided we'd go on a cruise through a few valley's with windy mountain roads. barely any body roll whatsoever. a nice set of springs would really bring this car to life me thinks looks and handling wise.

in other news, since my bov is integrally mounted onto the turbo itself, leaving me very little in the way of aftermarket bov's, uness i make a blanking plate for it and smack on a aftermarket one. for the time being i have just crimpped the reciurculation pipe ontop of the bov for a bit of compressor surge, (yes i know it's not beneficial for the turbo, it's not like im running 20psi through it, then i should worry.) being such a small turbo the comp surge is high pitched and flutters really fast. i love it .

Attached Thumbnails another new s70 owner with questions.-img_0181.jpg  

Last edited by gti_rsi; 12-12-2010 at 02:52 AM.