Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Brake Squeal Unlike any other...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Squeal Unlike any other...HELP

Hey group,

I'm going to be posting several topics over the coming days/weeks with issues that have plagued the previous owner (my sister) on a '98 S70 GLT *non turbo*.

Back in the summer, my sister took the car to service station repair for squealing front brakes. They recommeded new pads and cut the rotors. There was no warpage. Anyway, they cut the rotors and installed new pads. Noise went away for a while but came back.

I had her pick up new rotors from NAPA and new pads. The pads came with the stick on type shims...which I used. After installing, I test drove the car. Braking was excellent. However, after the 5th time of moderate braking, I heard the loudest squealing I've ever hear. This isn't a normal brake pad squeal....it's more like a metal to metal harmonic squeal.

I did a very thorough job on cleaning things and greasing prior to installing the pads/rotors.

What do you guys think? I'm wondering if the shims are creating issues?! Or, if the calipers are twisting and somehow causing this hellacious metal to metal harmonic. Any thoughts about what to check?

I've never heard anything like this before. The noise is only heard while touching the brake pedal. It doesn't matter if it's light or heavy braking. The sound is truly LOUD.

Thanks for any help/tips.

Ken Arutunian

Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 PM

If it was me I'd put the car back up in the air and rotate the tires slowly and listen and look. Check the clearance on the dust covers, listen to the bearings, etc. If you get a lead, take the tire back off and visually inspect.
I did the brakes on mine and had some suspension work to do at the same time. Somehow I bent the dust covers in so that they touched the rotor. It made a light scuffing sound until I got on the brakes, at which point it sounded like the front of the car was about to fall off.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Paulie
If it was me I'd put the car back up in the air and rotate the tires slowly and listen and look. Check the clearance on the dust covers, listen to the bearings, etc. If you get a lead, take the tire back off and visually inspect.
I did the brakes on mine and had some suspension work to do at the same time. Somehow I bent the dust covers in so that they touched the rotor. It made a light scuffing sound until I got on the brakes, at which point it sounded like the front of the car was about to fall off.
Excellent idea! Hmmm, maybe my noise is the same as what you experienced. It's definitely metal to metal.

Thanks for the info.

Ken

Old 03-15-2010, 04:28 PM

This issue was resolved.

Turned out that the rear parking brakes were making the squealing noise. Lower spring was rubbing the hub. I guess the springs were old and lost tension. For now, I've removed everything and all is well. Once I get replacement parts, I'll definitely be installing new springs. I'll report back once it's completed.

Ken