Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

camshaft removal and alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 03:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camshaft removal and alignment?

I have a s70 with the 234t engine. pulled the cam cover and inspected, replaced the cam seals and put the cams back in. I removed the cam gears and when i put the cams in i put them in where i thought they should be where the lobes werent pushing on the valves.

How do i know exactly that i installed them correctly if the cam pulleys line up somewhat to where they should be? There isnt a keyway on the cams so the cam gears can pretty much go anywhere. two bolts are up on the intake cam, and one up on the exhaust. that is what the chiltons i have has listed in the pics but since its a triangular bolt pattern i could put it in one of three ways.

Do i have to remove the cams again? The crank is aligned on the timing mark. i believe this engine is interference, but will i have a problem rotating the cam without taking it out?

Old 04-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

If you did not have them lined up properly and put the cam cover on you might have bent valves already.

There is a cam tool you cam make to line the cams up properly. Then install the pulleys.
Use the method in the link to make the tool.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/cam-locking-tool-fabrication-38396/