Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Can anybody help me out with a P0301 code??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can anybody help me out with a P0301 code??

Well today my 1998 Volvo S70 encountered a strange problem. The car has been running good yesterday i drove it fine with no problems and today i was driving it and i was going onto the highway i hit the gas to pass on coming cars and all off a sudden as i was picking up speed my car started to drive to a sort of stumble as it tried to pick up more speed then my CEL come on flashing for a few seconds and then it stayed on constant and it's still on. Now after that whenever i am sitting still in park, come to a stop like a red light or stop sign it idles rough almost feels like it wants to stall out. Once it gets moving like after 30mph it goes along fine but when you come to a stop it idles rough and when you try to take off from a stop it hesitates like it's lacking power.

So today i went to advanced auto parts and pick up the following:

New Spark Plugs- Autolite Coppers Part# 3923

New Spark Plug Wires - Autolite Professional Series Part# 97053

Bosch- Rotor & Distributor both parts look identical to the ones already in my S70.

Before i replaced everything i did a quick check by starting up the car and pulling out each spark plug wire from the spark plug one by one and looked for any change in the engine. Everyone i pulled made a noticeable change expect Cylinder 1 (also called out by the code reader). However i changed all the parts i listed above (and they were due) and still the same problem. I did the quick check again with the new parts by pulling up the spark plugs wires and again the same thing cylinder 1 had no noticeable change with the new parts. What can the problem be the ignition coil? Do i have to use only and change what i replaced to OEM Volvo Parts? I'm confused now what other causes could cause this cylinder 1 misfire. Thanks

1998 Volvo S70 GLT 135,000 Miles

My code reader give the P0301 code and also the data. It is displayed as followed:

Fuel Sys 1 CL
Fuel Sys 2 NA
Calc Load(%) 2.0
ECT(F) 187
STFT B1(%) 3.1
LTFT B1(%) -3.1
Eng RPM 870
Veh Speed(mph) 6

Anybody have any ideas or had a similar problem thanks.

Last edited by mikey4040; 12-28-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ck the compression; esp cyl 1.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I suggest you plan to replace those plugs and wires with OEM stuff. That's not causing your problem, however, you will likely pay at the pump for the after market plugs and wires.

Besides that, if you have good spark (tune up), you likely have a fuel delivery problem. There is a chance that your fuel injector for that cylinder has failed. Swap the fuel injectors and see what happens. Do you use good gas? Do you use fuel treatment/fuel injector cleaner like Lucas? There is also a relay that control the fuel injectors at the fan schrod.

The bad news would be what GDog suggested you check, that's compression. If you have bad compression that would be the worse news. Hopefully it's a fuel injector problem.
Compression Test - Volvo S70 GLT, 1998

Old 12-30-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
I suggest you plan to replace those plugs and wires with OEM stuff. That's not causing your problem, however, you will likely pay at the pump for the after market plugs and wires.

Besides that, if you have good spark (tune up), you likely have a fuel delivery problem. There is a chance that your fuel injector for that cylinder has failed. Swap the fuel injectors and see what happens. Do you use good gas? Do you use fuel treatment/fuel injector cleaner like Lucas? There is also a relay that control the fuel injectors at the fan schrod.

The bad news would be what GDog suggested you check, that's compression. If you have bad compression that would be the worse news. Hopefully it's a fuel injector problem.
Compression Test - Volvo S70 GLT, 1998

I did return the wires and spark plugs and got the OEM stuff off FCP. I use premium gas all the time however the previous owner i bought off did not he used the regular gas and he was the only owner. Besides this he did maintenance the car regularly according to receipts. I never used any fuel treatment should i? I'm hoping as well it's a bad injector or a sensor of some type. I drove the car today and it runs rough in park and gets better at idle but stills runs rough and when you put in drive and take off it stumbles up until 25 and after its good until you come to a stop.

If the compression was bad in that cylinder what would need replacing and how much would it be roughly to repair?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Don't get into bad situations until you're actually in one. The reason the car runs smooth (or seems to) is that the 5 cylinder motor is one of the smoothest of all times. While running at high RPM's you really can't feel the missing.

Try not to drive that much with it missing. Get that fixed ASAP. I'd pull the rail and swap a injector ASAP. Be careful not to damage the injector seals or loose one.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:38 PM

Actually my Lexus IS300 is much much smoother than my S70 GLT you can barely tell if it's on. I have it at a shop right now they kind of backed up on cars so i will have to wait to they get to it and let me know if they can find anything.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Well, I wasn't saying that the Volvo is a smoother quieter car that other cars, I was saying that the I5 motor is smoother. If the motors were on a test stand the I5 is a smoother motor that a I4 and V6 from what I have read.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:49 AM

I had to pick up my car today with no luck. My mechanic is backed up and has no space for cars so i picked up my car until another day. However when i came home today i noticed a constant ticking noise coming from the the throttle body area is this normal? Also this is off the subject does i think the cooling fan on these cars toes it take awhile to turn on? Mine does but the car never overheats always in the middle.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had same issue, found a resolution.

I had the exact same problem with my 97 850R. i received the p0301 code and the p1310. I put seafoam into it immediately after the issues began. I let my car idle with the seafoam in for about 30 mins, then restarted it. The rough idle went away completely, i am not sure what else to do other then the fact that the issue with the rough vibrating engine at low speeds went away. I'll get a tune up and see if that will fix anything else.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylor850R
I had the exact same problem with my 97 850R. i received the p0301 code and the p1310. I put seafoam into it immediately after the issues began. I let my car idle with the seafoam in for about 30 mins, then restarted it. The rough idle went away completely, i am not sure what else to do other then the fact that the issue with the rough vibrating engine at low speeds went away. I'll get a tune up and see if that will fix anything else.
This is a late reply, but in case anyone wanted to know I just recently had the exact same problem you had, exactly. Turned out to be the coil. I changed all the spark plugs and replaced the coil for cylinder 1. Been about 3-4 weeks now haven't had a problem since. I suggest swapping the coil on cylinder 1 with cylinder 3, then clear your dtc codes. Then start her up and see what code pops back up. If you now get a misfire code on cylinder 3 instead of 1 then for sure the coil is bad and needs replacing.