Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Check Engine Light (Cam Position Sensor) 1999 S70 AWD, around 98,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Check Engine Light (Cam Position Sensor) 1999 S70 AWD, around 98,000 miles

*1999 S70 awd with around 98,000 miles on it.*

Ok the other day Check Engine light came out. Took it to local Volvo dealership (5 minute drive) and they checked it out.

Came back with a code (forget what it was at the moment), but it dealt with the Cam Position Sensor.

They stated my oil was low too about a quart to two quarts low. Got some oil for them to fill her up. They cleared the code.

They said didn't look like anything was wrong... However told me to drive it around and if the Check Engine came back on, to bring it back have them scan for the codes and if the same one came up... then something is wrong.

So far just drove it home for the five minutes, nothing wrong as of yet.

I guess what I am getting at is... How much of a problem or trouble am I getting into if it comes back on and it is the same code? Money how much will I be dishing out to fix the problem? They stated upwards of $1,200 is this right? Can a non Volvo shop do it for less?

Last I looked car was only worth around $5k, if it comes back worth trading or trying to sell to buy something else?

Old 03-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S70driver
*1999 S70 awd with around 98,000 miles on it.*

Ok the other day Check Engine light came out. Took it to local Volvo dealership (5 minute drive) and they checked it out.

Came back with a code (forget what it was at the moment), but it dealt with the Cam Position Sensor.

They stated my oil was low too about a quart to two quarts low. Got some oil for them to fill her up. They cleared the code.

They said didn't look like anything was wrong... However told me to drive it around and if the Check Engine came back on, to bring it back have them scan for the codes and if the same one came up... then something is wrong.

So far just drove it home for the five minutes, nothing wrong as of yet.

I guess what I am getting at is... How much of a problem or trouble am I getting into if it comes back on and it is the same code? Money how much will I be dishing out to fix the problem? They stated upwards of $1,200 is this right? Can a non Volvo shop do it for less?

Last I looked car was only worth around $5k, if it comes back worth trading or trying to sell to buy something else?
You need better information that you gave. Just give the code and confirm it's the cam position sensor. Not hard nor expensive to put in.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Could also be the camshaft reset valve as well which is not all that bad either.