Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Check Engine Light and Service Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light and Service Light

I drive a 1998 S70, Base. I had my car serviced by my parents mechanic who specializes in Japanese cars. The pipe that bring the coolant to my radiator blew off, my engine overheated and I had to get a new radiator. When I got my car it has the check engine light on, my mechanic had an OBD reader but it was only meant for Japanese cars and could not really diagnose the problem..Any idea what might be wrong? I want to go to the Volvo dealership but I'm 17, not much money, parents won't pay and I know they charge a lot.

Also how do I reset the service light, I know some of the other S70 models can be reset by just holding the odometer button.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:18 PM

Go to AutoZone and ask them to do an OBD II diagnostic reading (they'll do it for free), and they'll tell you what's wrong.

And how many miles is on your S70? Make sure that you've done all the tune-ups for the appropriate mileage. One way you can reset the check engine and services lights is by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 30 seconds. BUT be sure you have the radio code for your radio BEFORE you disconnect the battery cable or else the radio will reset too and you won't be able to use it til you get the code.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The service message AND the CEL will not go out by disconnecting the battery. Also when you do that you have to make sure you have the radio codes as the radio will not operate without the manual entry of the radio codes. Again, I don't think that works on codes and so on.

Autozone sometimes (most times) cannot read Volvo CEL codes. They can't shut them off either. You need a Volvo indy or more sophisticated code readers than the average one.

I am betting you threw a coolant code and resetting it will make it disappear for good.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:12 PM

It has about 114,000 miles on it, I went to Autozone and they won't do it for free, any idea how much an OBD II reader is? If it's under $60 I'll be willing to get it since it will basically tell me whats up with my car and I can keep an eye on it...The volvo dealerships charge $40 just to reset the service light and I did disconnect the battery and it did not reset it at all.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:27 PM

Is there any way to get rid of the CEL and service light without going to a Volvo dealership?

Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by BlazeS70
Is there any way to get rid of the CEL and service light without going to a Volvo dealership?
Autozones around here do it for free. But it won't work on a Volvo.

You have to get your own code reader (not sure what kind but you need a good quality one, certainly more than $60). Or a Volvo Independant can do it.

That's the only way the codes can be removed.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually, ANY OBD-II code reader will read and reset the check engine light codes on the S70. That is REQUIRED by federal law. Now, if the codes that are set are not "generic" codes, most code readers won't have a definition for them. But the reset function on that code reader will still reset them.

Keep in mind that codes will not tell you what's wrong with the car. They basically tell you what part is telling the computer that there is a problem. They are intended to help an experienced mechanic know where to look first.

Most AutoZone locations will read codes for free, but they usually won't reset the codes "unless you've fixed a problem." Tell them you just did some repairs and need the light switched off.

As for the "Service" light, 1998 models can only be reset with either the factory scanner or a special reset tool that costs around $170. However, the "service" light is merely a maintenance reminder that comes on every 10,000 miles (5,000 miles on turbocharged models) for the first 2 minutes of engine operation. Just let it go- don't bother with it, it's not hurting anything by being on, and resetting it won't affect the engine in any way. It's a reminder. 1999 and newer models can be reset by holding the trip odometer button in with the key off, then you turn the key on while holding it, and watch for it to flash. The light will then go out. 1997 and earlier (850s, obviously) have a button somewhere under the hood that resets the light.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:45 AM

I hear what you are saying. But, common code readers won't usually work with Volvo's.

And Autozone commonly cannot read Volvo codes at all. This is my experience.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Default OBD II reader

A general purpose OBD II reader will read 'generic' codes and will reset the CEL. Of course if the problem still exists after the CEL is cleared it will come back in again. Some OBD II readers have a code translation table (usually available on the manufacturer's website) for translating the generic codes to Volvo-specific codes. A 98 S70 requires a special tool to reset the service reminder light. 99 and later models include a self-reset procedure in the owners manual.

Last edited by simul8guy; 02-13-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Default No Problems with generic OBD II Reader...

I bought a $60 OBD II scanner and have had no problems reading codes or resetting CEL. I'm sure there are some proprietary Volvo codes, but I haven't come across any yet...

Before I bought the gizmo, AutoZone did it for free and never had a problem reading or resetting because it was a Volvo...That's kind of the whole point of a standard system like OBD II...

Old 12-27-2009, 08:08 PM

OBDII readers WILL read general P0xxx codes but they cannot read vehicle specific P1xxx codes.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:57 PM
Default Where do I get the radio code?

Originally Posted by BlazeS70
Go to AutoZone and ask them to do an OBD II diagnostic reading (they'll do it for free), and they'll tell you what's wrong.

And how many miles is on your S70? Make sure that you've done all the tune-ups for the appropriate mileage. One way you can reset the check engine and services lights is by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 30 seconds. BUT be sure you have the radio code for your radio BEFORE you disconnect the battery cable or else the radio will reset too and you won't be able to use it til you get the code.
​​​
where do you get the radio code? Plus pro tip- once you get the radio code write it in sharpie on the underside of the hood so you don't have to look it up again...