Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Cleaned Injectors - CAR WON'T START HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cleaned Injectors - CAR WON'T START HELP!

Hey Guys!

So I have a '99 S70 FWD (200k miles). I have been periodically working on this car tuning it up and what not.

Today I decided to flush the coolant for winter and clean the injectors as they have never been touched before.

The car ran as 'fine' before all of this:

WHAT I DID:
Before I pulled the fuel rail (quite simple task) I wanted to depressurize the fuel lines so I ran the car with the gas tank fill cap open and pulled the fuel pump fuse (15amp fuse) to kill the car. I hoped this would run the system 'dry' It immediately shut the car down to my surprise. Usually it takes a minute or two with all my other cars but it was a light switch.

So I buttoned everything up after cleaning up injectors. Now I go to start and it wont fire up. The car turns over just fine and ALLLLMOST begins to run but it just won't successfully start!

Help guys! Did I ruin something by pulling that fuse? Did my fuel pump just stop working?

Old 11-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your procedure of pulling fuses was totally unnecessary. On the fuel real there is a blue or black cap, unscrew it to get to the Schroeder valve, take a pin and a small cloth and push in the valve, a drop of fuel will fizz out and all the pressure will be out of the rail.

Retrace your steps, put in a new fuse, undo the rail and make sure the o rings are in good shape. Hopefully you are using brand new OEM o rings. Check the electrical connectors to each injector.

Next time just throw in some Lucas fuel injector cleaner instead.
Good luck

Last edited by rspi; 11-22-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vmax
Your procedure of pulling fuses was totally unnecessary. On the fuel real there is a blue or black cap, unscrew it to get to the Schroeder valve, take a pin and a small cloth and push in the valve, a drop off fuel will fizz out and all the pressure will be out of the rail.

Retrace your steps, put in a new fuse, undo the rail and make sure the o rings are in good shape. Hopefully you are using brand new OEM o rings. Check the electrical connectors to each injector.

Next time just throw in some Lucas fuel injector cleaner instead.
Good luck

yeah Im not very sound with working on volvos. I wish I looked more into this. I am going to retrace my steps. Do you think there is something pressure wise with the rail? Should I try to bleed it and then start? The fuse looks good and I swapped with another to make sure it wasnt a faulty fuse.

I can't image I missed anything. There wasn't much to this but a couple loc tite bolts on the rail and the connections on the injectors.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:20 PM

No biggie, at least you do your own work lol.

Prime the fuel pump then see if it starts. If it doesn't, relieve the pressure in the rail, remove the injectors from the manifold and check if you pinched any o rings when you were putting it back together.

I don't see why pulling a fuse while the pump is running will damage it. For craps and giggles just disconnect the negative battery terminal while you're troubleshooting.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:24 PM

Be careful when pulling the fuel rail from the manifold, grab the corners with both hands and pull firmly, no twisting whatsoever.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:18 PM

Be careful when pulling the fuel rail from the manifold, grab the corners with both hands and pull firmly, no twisting whatsoever.

My assumption is not to bend hard lines huh?

Old 11-19-2013, 02:07 PM

That and you don't wanna crack/damage any of your injectors in the removal process.

Because if you do, I have two sets of white and blue injectors for sale LOL

Old 11-19-2013, 03:58 PM

So I know this sounds bad but I pull the rail and tried starting to see if fuel was coming out of injectors and nothing! I do geta little pressure when I relief the valve. What now?

Old 11-19-2013, 04:08 PM

When you turn the key to position 2 do you hear the fuel pump groan? If not then it may be the culprit.

Check and recheck your work, although this is the first I've heard of the fuel pump potentially being harmed by a pulled fuse while in operation.

How old is the fuel pump? If its 200k then it has lasted 40-50k miles more than it should have.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:27 PM

When you turn the key to position 2 do you hear the fuel pump groan? If not then it may be the culprit.

Check and recheck your work, although this is the first I've heard of the fuel pump potentially being harmed by a pulled fuse while in operation.

How old is the fuel pump? If its 200k then it has lasted 40-50k miles more than it should have.

Car has over 200k but Im really stupid, I didnt even have the injectors plugs in when I had the rail out.

I verified by pulling the plugs to check for fuel and they were very much covered in gas.

battery is good, starter tries really hard, getting fuel.... the car ALMOST starts. Its almost as if some other sensor isn't plugged in.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:15 PM

Can you hear the fuel pump running with the key on?

If you push the shroeder valve in do you get a burst of gas? If you leave the key in the ON position with the pump running the [pressure should sustain and not relieve. Make sure you are absorbing this gas in a rag or something so you don't get a fire going.

When you pulled the fuel rail, did the injectors stay in the head or did they come out with the rail? You need to make sure that the injector o-rings did not get damaged and exist in each port. Frankly, I would doubt this is the issue since the injectors air leaking should not prevent the starting operation unless the leak is severe.

How did you clean your injectors? Frankly I don't ever clean them manually, but some people like to do that.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:51 PM

How's your fuel pump relay looking? Just a thought, maybe it somehow got damaged in the process.

I pm'd you back.

Let me know

Old 11-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kwatt
How did you clean your injectors?
Yeah, that's what I would like to know too?

And putting a fuel pressure gauge on the rail will tell you pretty quick if you got pressure or not. Should be about 43 psi.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:15 PM

Fuel pressure gauge is a good tool to have for any DIY'er with a fuel injected car. You have 2 sets of issues to resolve. 1) Are you getting fuel from the pump and is it regulated. 2) Is the regulator sustaining pressure. I've seen fuel pumps run and get to pressure but fail to be able to maintain the pressure. I think I paid about $10 for it.

On the cleaning thing... Did you stick anything into the injector; like a wire or something?

Last edited by rspi; 11-22-2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-21-2013, 11:19 AM

Here is the latest guys!

Key on, hoping for a constant flow of pressure in the schrader valve on the rail. All I get is a 'little' gas and a short burst of pressure.

I didn't hear the pump so I went to the pump in the trunk to verify if it was priming or not...NOTHING. So I tried over riding the relay with a paperclip 87 to 15 on the pump relay (103) and still no prime!

I presume its a bad pump due to the fact I've experienced heavy power loss. It drove but not like it used to.

Am I on the right path? Should I bite the bullet and buy a cheap $130 pump rebuilt kit from Autozone? The car is on its way out, I don't want to invest a whole lot!

Last edited by rspi; 11-22-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:40 PM

You can get a walbro 255lph pump for $100 or an ARD 340lph pump for $120.

Better than a rebuild kit, and brand new.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:42 PM

can i get those locally? Time is of the essence. I need to get this complete.

Do you concur with my assessment that it is a failed pump? Car has 200k on origional pump

Old 11-21-2013, 01:38 PM

I'm not sure of any local dealers, but my brother got his walbro from here:
Fuel Pump Install Installation for Volvo 850T 850R 850 T5 850 T5-R

I got my ard pump from here:
https://ardideas.3dcartstores.com/AR...ump_p_118.html

Normally takes 4-5 business days from payment receipt.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:41 PM

Same pump between 850 and 70 series.

Good luck.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:23 PM

If you jumped the relay (and it was correct) and the pump is barely running I would think it's the pump. You didn't say so, but I was thinking maybe your reason for *cleaning the injectors* was because of the performance loss.

200K should not be a *car is going out* scenario, though it is a lot of miles, these Volvo's seem to just run a really long time. My son's S70 is about 180K and it runs fine. I would find info on how to replace the fuel pump. Someone may have instructions.

RockAuto has them under $100 plus shipping but others have them as well. I would not go with a rebuilt unless you are just stuck with time. Check Napa, advanced auto parts, pep boys, etc.

Last edited by rspi; 11-22-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Cleaned Injectors - CAR WON'T START HELP!