Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Cross post from V70 Forum: 2001 Volvo V70

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross post from V70 Forum: 2001 Volvo V70

Just got a smokin deal on a seasoned 2001 V70 Base Wagon, 5spd auto, non-turbo. 207k miles and this baby is cherry. I only have a few minor issues. My main concern is the tranny obviously, with these specific years having issues. The fluid in there currently looks pretty dark but still with a hint of redness, smells decent. I plan on doing a full flush here very shortly. The issue is this - around 35-40 mph the car seems to pop in and out of gear almost. I've done some research (actually a ton of research) and from what I can gather this is the Torque converter locking and unlocking. It doesn't seem to do this at any other speeds or in any other gears, so I'm wondering if its either a tranny computer, ETM, or tranny fluid issue. The car doesn't seem to drop to neutral at a stop so I believe the Transmission computer has the upgraded software. I also feel a sort of rumbling, or not as smooth of an acceleration when the car gets ready to shift. I have read this is also indicative of Torque converter, or possibly tranny mount, issues. Overall the car drives very smooth, accelerates smoothly and the tranny does shift great.

The other issue is an exhaust smell that permeates the car especially once it warms up. I've read it can either be the cats going bad, an exhaust leak, or clogged pcv system. I don't think it's the PCV, probably either the cats or an exhaust leak. My 1995 850 GLT had a very similar smell and it soaked into the interior of the car giving it a very characteristic smell. Just looking for some things I can check out here.

Then there are just a few very minor electrical gremlins. There is no backlight on the radio LCD, which makes it very hard to read. The headlights are on all the time and cannot be shut off. The rear passenger window will not roll down. I haven't had a chance to check on the fuses for any of these issues.

So if anybody has any input on the tranny or exhaust issues, I'd be much obliged. Overall, I'm very stoked with the purchase and think I got a killer deal on a very well maintained car. I've been doing a ton of research and plan on babying this engine all the way up to 300k. Thanks for the time.