Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

CV Reboot or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Reboot or replace?

So i just finished putting on new control arms/ball joints, Blistein TC struts, spring seats and bearing plates. In week and a half that i order the parts to this past weekend when i put everything on my passenger side outer CV boot is ripped.

Since it hasn't been very long and there is still some grease in there, should i go for the $30 fix with a new boot? Or bite the bullet and spend the $80 or $175 (depending on where you order from) on a new CV joint?

I would like to think that I could get away with the cheaper fix as there is only a click here and there when parking or sharp turning at low speeds. Any thoughts or input is welcome.

On a side note the TC bilsteins struts are well worth the money.

98 s70 non turbo

Old 08-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phiber
So i just finished putting on new control arms/ball joints, Blistein TC struts, spring seats and bearing plates. In week and a half that i order the parts to this past weekend when i put everything on my passenger side outer CV boot is ripped.

Since it hasn't been very long and there is still some grease in there, should i go for the $30 fix with a new boot? Or bite the bullet and spend the $80 or $175 (depending on where you order from) on a new CV joint?

I would like to think that I could get away with the cheaper fix as there is only a click here and there when parking or sharp turning at low speeds. Any thoughts or input is welcome.

On a side note the TC bilsteins struts are well worth the money.

98 s70 non turbo
If it's clicking at all, the joint is worn excessively. Also, the boot costs $30... do you have the proper tools to install the clamps? if not, those cost $20 for the cheap ones. Keep in mind that to do an outer boot, you have to take apart the inner joint, as well, clean EVERYTHING out, re- grease everything thoroughly, then re- assemble it again. You'll need to buy new clamps for the inner boot, $2 or so a piece. The whole process is messy and time- consuming. Or you can opt for a new or reman axle for $80 or so, swap the thing out, and be done with it. I basically NEVER replace boots for customers- it usually ends up costing the same because of the extra labor. I realize you're a DIY, but the cost savings is hardly worth it even if the joint were perfect. Your joint is clicking, and is therefore worn excessively, and might only last a couple more months. I'd just change the axle.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya getting a new one does seem like the best choice by far. and in the end i would just end up replacing it anyway!