Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Disaster! 1998 Volvo S70 Non-Turbo, 173k miles.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disaster! 1998 Volvo S70 Non-Turbo, 173k miles.

I replaced the camshaft seal on my Volvo but the timing on the cams is off now. I marked the gears with whiteout but it came off. There are no markings on the gears like I have seen on YouTube and other forums. Is there another way to line up the camshafts/gears and time the engine?

When I try to start the engine it just makes a cranking noise but doesn't start. I know for sure that when I removed the bolts on the camshaft gear it turned one of the camshafts over. So, after I replaced the camseal I rotated the cam back and put the t-belt back on. However it won't start now.

Is the timing off or did I put the belt on too tight?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mechanical ability: Brake pads, Rotors, thermostat, and Hoses. I don't know much about engine repairs.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ck compression; you may have bent valves by now. If 0 compression on one or more cyls, game over, you're (or someone is..) pulling the head.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Sad to say Gdog is correct. Whenever you put the belt back on you should always turn the crank over by hand to make sure you have no internal contact. If you tried to start the car without turning the motor over by hand to make sure the timing is right you likely damaged the motor. The timing was likely off and you damaged the motor when you tried to start it.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Administrator

What instructions did you use?

Old 08-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok if you have installed everything correctly and just cranks it may just be ok. once again if you did put everything on correctly and the compression sounds/is fine. i just resealed the cam cover on my car and installed everything correctly but when i went to start it all i got was a crank no start. then after a while it sounded like it had no compressio. in this case all you have to do is keep cranking the car till compression starts building and eventually stats the car.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:22 PM

I manually cranked it over by hand 3 times and all I could here was ticking which sounded normal. So keep trying to start it?

Old 08-25-2013, 08:47 PM

Tried starting it until battery died. Still nothing to report.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:18 AM

remember this is what ive gone through on my car but i know everything was installed propely so the same may not be the case for yours

if it is what im thinking, then then the tappets arent pushing the valves open. and hook up a jumper and keep cranking with little breaks every 30 seconds or so until it but try not to flood the engine.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Default Varified timing and it still will not start! Plz help.

Hello,

I took everything a part for the 3rd time. Mae sure in fact all of the markings on the TB cover are aligned and that the crank shaft is in alignment. After, everything looked correct put it back together. Now when I manually crank the engine it is very hard to turn over like very hard.

Any thoughts or reasons why this is?

Since I knew without the shadow of doubt that it's perfectly timed and assembled for the 3rd time, I tried it and it still will not start.

Please help me.....

Old 08-27-2013, 08:12 PM

If it's harder to turn over now manually than previously, that would indicate that you must now have some compression.
Have you checked for spark at your plugs?
Does she try to fire at all when cranking?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:09 PM

When I try to start the engine, the engine turns but I don't hear any cranking. I can physically see the TB and SB turning but no cranking noise.

Could the starter relay or starter be bad coincidentally?

I checked the relay and it had a little bit of black on part of one of the prongs.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Man, you have so much conflicting information in this thread it's hard to help you.

First off you started off by saying that you were not sure if timing was set correctly and you tried to start the car. If you did that you need to do a compression test, no way around it. If you tried to start the car with timing off GAME OVER.

Then you write that you have gone back and checked timing a few more times. That does NOT correct an initial bad start. So, you need to... check compression. If you use my video to check compression you will be past that already.

If you don't have a compression gauge you can pull all the plugs but 1 and turn the motor over by hand. If it has compression, it will get hard when that piston raises. If you are able to turn the motor all the way over with no resistance at a point, then move the plug to another piston and see if the next one has compression. If none have compression add a little oil in the spark plug holes and see what happens (try to start it again). Don't just keep banging your head off the wall (keep trying to start it when you haven't corrected anything).

Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Administrator
Old 08-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by volvojosh
When I try to start the engine, the engine turns but I don't hear any cranking. I can physically see the TB and SB turning but no cranking noise.

Could the starter relay or starter be bad coincidentally?

I checked the relay and it had a little bit of black on part of one of the prongs.
Cranking means that the motor is turning when you try to start it. If you can see the SB rotating when you try to start it, NOTHING is wrong with your starter.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Administrator
Old 08-29-2013, 06:08 PM

Follow rspi's advise carefully and use his video clips to help you.

The reason you need to know if you have compression when cranking engine is to ascertain if you have in fact damaged your valves. (bent them) at your initial startup attempt because of a bad engine timing setup.
Bent valves cannot seat correctly and seal off the combustion chamber for each piston as they are required.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Default Update:

Thanks for the feedback and videos.

Here's what I've done and the results:
  1. I checked compression, each piston reads 180+ PSI which seems good
  2. Checked the fuel rail with tire gauge and fuel came out
  3. Fuel pump kicks on when I start the car
  4. MAF is good working condition, it was replaced 1,500 miles ago with OEM MAF
  5. Timing sensor is free of debris and the plug is in good condition
The only thing else i can think of is the timing is off by a tooth or more.

Thoughts?

Old 08-30-2013, 06:52 PM

Seems your compressions are good at 180+
Have you checked that you have spark getting to the plugs?
Try removing one and lying it against the head connected to lead.You should see the spark at the electrode if okay.
Any loose or disconnected wires / vacuum lines obvious generally?

Tried turning her over with a few squirts of Ether?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Administrator

As the video states, a car needs 5 things to start and run.

1. Fuel
2. Spark
3. Air
4. Compression
5. Timing

If timing is set to marks you are likely good there. If you have compression in every cylinder, you are likely good there. Is there SPARK?

Old 09-01-2013, 01:51 PM

WHAT A WASTE OF TIME THIS CAR HAS BEEN!

Yes, there's spark. I've checked literally everything.

Quick Reply: Disaster! 1998 Volvo S70 Non-Turbo, 173k miles.