Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Front suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front suspension noise

I have recently rebuilt the front suspension on my S70 due to worn out rubber parts. Now that everything is done and the car is being driven on a daily basis I am fighting some noises that I can't seem to repair. Here is what I have replaced: rubber upper spring seats, control arms, sway bar end links, newer struts (only have 100K from my XC70), and the metal top strut mounts (the ones that bolt to the car on the engine compartment side). After replacing all those parts I now have clunking, popping and creaking when I go over bumps or turn the steering wheel. One thing I noticed: when I installed the upper rubber spring seats into the metal upper mounts is the rubber portion of the spring seat did not seat completely against the plastic swivel of the metal mount (the rubber was wider then the hole). When I compared the older rubber spring seat to the new ones it appeared that the older one was slightly narrower (this was my second set of spring seats). One other thing I recently noticed is I can turn the large nut at the top of the strut by hand on both sides of the car. This makes me think the connection between the strut and the upper metal mount is loose and would cause noise when the car goes over bumps. I've even noticed at lower speeds when the car shifts from first to second the suspension bangs (maybe wheels are moving slightly forward and back). Not sure what to do since I have now taken the suspension apart and re-assembled two times.

Update: this weekend I took the struts out again and replaced the upper rubber spring seats with a slightly smaller set. These seemed to fit better inside the metal upper strut mounts. I put everything back together and tightened every bolt I had touched from replacing all of the new parts (control arms, brake calipers, struts and axle shafts). Everything seems to be quiet now. I think I'll order new rubber washers that bolt at the top of the struts (inside engine compartment) since they are almost without rubber. Also new rubber muffler hangers to cut down on some of the vibrations.

Last edited by tr_car_nut; 08-07-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: updates