Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

fuel pump change

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump change

My 99 s70 won't start, think it is fuel pump or fuel pump relay. I hear the fuel pump buzz when turning key to on. Short buzz then stops. Is that relay or pump. Relay is easy to replace.
2 access holes in trunk behind passenger side seat. Picture will not up load! I cannot turn the lock ring on the what I assume is the fuel pump. I disconnected the wires and fuel lines. The front access hole is not centered over the metal cap covering another lock ring. I'll have to drop the tank to get that metal cover off! That would make this something I am not prepared to do.
Anybody know what to do? I'm too much of a weakling to turn the lock ring over what I think is the fuel pump. Not much room to get in there.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Default fuel Pump Replacement

Well I did my v70 pump 2 years ago,it's a wagon, so the pump is under the floor underneath the rear seat on left side, I took an oscillating dremel tool and metal blade and cut the bottom of the car floor sheetmetal out, and had perfect access to the pump, I suggest you do the same, then cut a nice piece of galvanized sheetmetal, put a bead of silicone caulk on it and tech screw it back down over the hole...you don't wanna drop the tank on the car if there is a reasonable way around it. I don't advise using a cutting wheel on it for fear of an explosion, the dremel works great with no sparks, go at it easy and you will barely heat up the sheetmetal with friction.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:46 AM
Default gonna get it towed

Re s70 '99 base model - My mechanic buddy said to see if it is a spark or fuel problem. I bought some ether and shot it in the intake after taking the air filter off. No start. The fuel pump buzzes so that must be working. Borrowed a code reader and no code came up. It is sitting in my driveway so I will get it towed to someone that works on Volvo's. Any ideas a re welcome.
Figured out how to get the lock ring off for the fuel pump. 2 large flat blade screwdrivers and 2 hammers. My son got on one side from the trunk and I got on the other side of the ring from the back seat, we both hit it at the same time several times and got it loose. Careful it is plastic. Unfortunately it was a 2 man job. I know FCPeuro has replacements fairly cheap if necessary.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Default fuel pump issues or wont start

Try putting some starting fluid directy into a plug hole...sometimes you can't get enough in the intake and it evaporates very quickly...if then no start...go thru your ignition system, do you havea coil...could very well be that. not familiar with your model can you give me some more info on it...engine specs eg 5254t etc?