Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Going turbo some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going turbo some questions

Going to the junk yard in a few hrs to grab a motor.
Im very experienced with alot of cars do resto mods for a living but first volvo. Shes a 99 s70 na auto that i blew up. For now the goal is turbo swap and a good stage 0 but in the future rx7 rear diff and awd close the deck and build her for hell then pray we can squeeze 500awhp outof her.. Dont worry i have a machine shop so not really something im worried about. For now im wondering how hard it would be to grab a newer motor (long rod) and make my harness work? Well really whats missing/different? I am going to use my na intakemani. And last butnot least any specific motor tolook for currently the car has a b5244. Any help would be appreciated again im capable just new to volvos firstpost actually.
Thanks again. Oliver

Old 07-13-2019, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

if you want to take an NA car like a 99 and turn it into a turbo, I'd say the hard part is going to be to swap in the ECU and wiring harness from a turbo car. Usually the best bet would be to buy a donor car so then the question is what year and model. the S70s are the 2nd generation of the 850s and right about 99/00 there were a few major changes - the most significant being the move to the electronic throttle mechanism and going to individual coil packs vs distributor/rotor/cap. You can certainly buy a Volvo 850 Turbo cheap but sounds like you'd really want a car with a manual transmission or a car with AWD (came to the US in 98). The thing with the ECU is that it ties into the ABS controller, transmission computer etc so the newer your donor gets the more complex (things like anti-theft / alarms getting in the way).

Old 07-13-2019, 07:12 PM
Default Thanks

I have made a tcm for paddle shifting from i think this forum might be wrong but that works on its own. So for now auto is cool its my dd (i have plenty else to drive while shes down but i move fast ill post some pics tonight. Abs im doing away with so no issues there. All i really need to workon the car is the ventilation system and radio,lights wipers ect. All of my dd up until now have either been a sport bike or a gutted car with no ac heat radio ps or really anythingthat didnt make it go or stop so have ac heat and carpet and a radio is already a big change lol.
On to progress i ended up with a b5244t2... Hoping i read right and this is a long rod motor it came out of a 07 xc70 awd.. Hope so? Lol. i grabbed the ecm for it. Good news it plugs into the 99 s70 harness. Im not gonna take the harness out doesn't look like fun. Sure wasnt worth it at the wreckers. I am gonna be running the vast tunning ecm so i hope that sticking with a harness that uses the m4.4 thats in the car will make life easier? I hope well see tomorrow. So far i havent found any good wiring diagrams or better yet ecu pinouts.. Maybe someone can hook me up with a pdf that wouldbe awesome.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:16 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a 98 rather than a 99, but what I see on the 98 wiring diagram is primarily the boost control wiring is missing. There was a data link wire from transmission to engine on the turbo that was missing on the NA. The original tune reduced boost in one gear but not others, I guess. I had both wiring diagrams before volvowiringdiagrams website went down. There might have been a pin or two relocated.

Anyway I guess you see all the issues. All in all it's a simple matter to get an engine to run. You give it what it wants and it'll run.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

yep, that's why its better to grab the wire harness from a turbo car - so you get the boost controller wiring. Can't think of too many other things different but looking at a wiring diagram would answer that.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:59 PM
Default So i had some info wrong

Car is a 2000 na with a denso ecm. any sources on pin outs? Vast tuning isnt returning my emails so that sucks. Before i spent too much time on it is it a general consensus that the ecu pinouts stayed the same through out the densos and boschs? Any advice on ecms? Maybe a good company that sells something i can tune myself? New to volvo world jap stuffs cake lol.

Good news is i can say that i dont see anything all that different other than one extra vvt and boost solenoid. Volvo may have made this easier. Than i expected but anyone know how much talking the ecu does with the ac stuff?
Thanks guys ill be adding pics soon and hopefully be making us some parts to go faster.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:42 PM
Default She lives

Got her running tonight all seems well gotta do some more work tomorrow but i dont see why i hear this swap was impossible.. Seems easier than a honda swap. did a short drive hit gate pressure( havent had time to wire inthe boost controller solenoid) all seems well ill post pics and vid tomorrow. Should have her cleaned up anddone next week still waiting on an ecu choice that i like and the company will talk to me. Any tips guys? I love what vast offers but no customer service.. Kinda stuck on doing the tuning myself.. And id reallylike to not have to go mega squirt on this car being my dd i dont wanna deal with it.
Thanks guys

Old 07-20-2019, 07:58 AM
Default Its a mess but not for long haha

Originally Posted by Oliver Scorsim
Got her running tonight all seems well gotta do some more work tomorrow but i dont see why i hear this swap was impossible.. Seems easier than a honda swap. did a short drive hit gate pressure( havent had time to wire inthe boost controller solenoid) all seems well ill post pics and vid tomorrow. Should have her cleaned up anddone next week still waiting on an ecu choice that i like and the company will talk to me. Any tips guys? I love what vast offers but no customer service.. Kinda stuck on doing the tuning myself.. And id reallylike to not have to go mega squirt on this car being my dd i dont wanna deal with it.
Thanks guys

Old 07-20-2019, 07:59 AM
Default Wontwork

Site wont take myvids

Old 07-21-2019, 10:52 AM
Default Getting info

I got some sacrificial ecms yesterday. Ill be posting anything i find that work well later. Seems the pinouts are more or less the same and the reluctor on the cam is the important one for it to run. But ill find out soon. Swaping parts around today and trying lol.
If anyone knows a combo that works i think i found a way to not worry about marriage between the car and ecu. Havent tested yet but it should work.
Is there any volvo fourms where ppl normally go to discuss performance modifications?

Old 07-22-2019, 05:16 PM
Default Stopped by volvo today ...

So in a strange turn of events. I was driving the car (na ecu) and saw the dealer figured id stop by the back and see if i could bribe a tech to marry the new turbo ecu tothe car usingthe na ecus data.. Well the service manager and i started talking and well he looks at me says pop the hood.. I go okay why not right? Lol he goes damn you really did it and it runs. We talked somemore and he offered me a job and while i think it over he let me use there book so any electrical schematics you guys need now would be the time to ask for a pic im making a neat post with all the ecu and harness info as well as a how to go turbo post and a few more nice pieces of data thati was very suprised was all but impossible to find. Turns out doinga turbo swap is cake if you knowwhat to grab and i feel like since all the pins are already there for it to run with any ecu minus a handful between na and turbo dont bother takingthe dash outjust add the wires to the na harness.. Im kinda using this as a note for me atm and let you guys know where im at so bare with me if this is messy ill neaten it up alot when its done.
So quick recap new goals are to find all the combos that should work and easy way to diy tune these cars. im not in it for the money just want to see my car there and well i dont mind sharing info. I also want to get the wiring and ecu diagrams stickied

Eh i think thats it ohh and missing parts of the puzzle for 07 xc70 ecu to work should be the cluster and immobilizer working on what works with whatin what still butafter 5hrs taking harnesss and manually making a diagram for each ecu and harness. Having a actual manual in front of me with all the info right for sure no half awake middle of the night mistakes.. I think ill have all this info ready by the end of the week for you guys okay ill have the diagrams. what works in what. And my swap and ill be working on the rest. Just bare with me during the week im lucky to get an hr to work on this but i can do alot in an hr hehe.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:58 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

That would be an awesome piece of work. I did that for the 850's but that was years ago. On these later ones, the immobilizer is what bugs me. I know you can make it work, but I wonder if a tune wouldn't just eliminate it entirely. I am pretty ignorant about what you can do in a tune.

My way is to take the wiring diagram and make it believe it's still in the original car. That is a harder way, I guess.

P.S. there are three more volvo forums that I know of. Matthew's volvo site and swedespeed and another one called turbobricks.

Last edited by firebirdparts; 07-23-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by firebirdparts
That would be an awesome piece of work. I did that for the 850's but that was years ago. On these later ones, the immobilizer is what bugs me. I know you can make it work, but I wonder if a tune wouldn't just eliminate it entirely. I am pretty ignorant about what you can do in a tune.

My way is to take the wiring diagram and make it believe it's still in the original car. That is a harder way, I guess.

P.S. there are three more volvo forums that I know of. Matthew's volvo site and swedespeed and another one called turbobricks.
Iv been busy with work and havent had much time also i got alot of big info wrong that i didnt think was significant at first like the car is a 2000. That one took some time to see. Ill post a good update tomorrow. Also for anyone on a budget and limited know how the easy swap for more power than na but not a good turbo setup. Im still looking into it but the na denso ecm with some ****ery actually runs like a scalded dog around 10psi and with water injection and an intercooler delete on the 14t.. Boost gauge moves faster than the pedal hahaha holds a good enough afrs but the ignition timing isnt ideal.... Discoverd this out of wondering did need to modify the evap system some. Not the way im going but im exploring all the ways i can think of. This cars a great platform and all thats holding it back is the info isnt easy to get and no one seems to go too far outside the mold. I made a easy to follow chart for a proper harness adapter between the car and me7 ecm that works great like stock more or less and you could just repin the plug (its about ten pins i think dont remember ill post a chrat in the am) but i wanted to explore lots of options and making multiple adapters is easier than repining that plug that many times.. Im also working on something like hondata but for our i roll machines... Trying with some friends for me7 me9 and the denso so sonethings gotta be easy enough its all doable. I was also able to get a lot of info from a good freinds friend that has gotten his me7 powered Audi speed density converted. Anyone needs any info iv been helped with lots of free info much of which im not capable of utilizing but very willing to share and at the least a basic understanding of all of it. I will one day write a post with just pdfs and loads of tech data for ppl to search for.
im ready to progress with my build but i wanna know for everyone how far can we really push the stock stuff. Personally i think the na stuff has most potential for turbo power i know i sounds dumb. Bit the injectors are pretty big and can have their caps cuts off half the fuel pressure and add a rising rate regulator with a bleed valve and loads of cold meth. Thats what im seeing as the not so awesome driver but wot power for cheap of cheapest i think that would work and even then this wouldnt be for me these days when i was in hs sure. Now imagine if we could buy a daughter bord and away you go with a laptop and bluetooth tuning whatever you want still not for everyone but if i can get it cheap enough i think this would be the way to go even if you have to go to a tuner. By the way im not knocking any of the tuners just their a bit too expensive for what it is atleast for the rest of the tuner sence. Shooting for under 400 for ecu that you can drop in pnp but no one hold their breath im not that far yet and dont have that much free time also like working on my stuff lol. But if anyone wants to take the rains on it ill be more than happy to share any info i have.

Thanks guys

Old 12-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Default Some info

so this is everything that goes to the ecm thatneeds moving around to go from denso to bosch me7. Me 9 is more involved and i still have to figure some stuff out before i can putthat out but this works. You will need to wire in boost control solenoid and air intake temp as well as swap some plugs like the maf. Do keep in mind i went with an rn swap so i also have dual vvti and a few things i had to do outside of this.

Old 12-08-2019, 05:21 PM
Default Denso on boost

Iv been testing the denso more and more and well i cant find any info at all on it but it seems they may have made these with boost in mind. Outside of some maf ****ery (need a temp sensor down stream of the turbo to pull timing out) and some creative repurposing of the evap system to boost referance the fuel pressure regulator. It runs way better than i expected by miles. Still working on a way to better pull some timing out but im seeing 12-13 ish afrs at wot. Turned the boost up to 15psi today ran like a champ no pingin with water. i wouldnt try it with out water. Im gonna keep digging at all the ecms as time permits but im very interested in the me9 and denso me7 is nice but its about the same amount of work from what i understand to tune either me7 or me9 but me9 can data log and do all sorts of goodies that would make it just as good as a stand alone for these cars. But denso is perfect for the budget guy that wants to go turbo but cant do the harness adapter or has just enough to get the motor for their blown car looks to be the perfect stepping stone if you will.

Old 12-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Default Test mule for all this info

The test rig a few days ago ignore the quickly made tube i wasnt going for pretty it was cold and i just needed it to hold and not leak. Its smooth inside i promiss lol.

Old 12-08-2019, 05:30 PM
Default Denso

Old 12-08-2019, 05:35 PM
Default Me7

Old 12-09-2019, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

regarding the comment that the site won't take your vids - the site supports the following valid file extensions: apk avi bin bmp cfg csv doc docx ecu efi gif gsc hex hpl hpt html jpe jpeg jpg mov mp3 mpeg mpg msl msq pdf png pps psd rar table tun txt vex wav wmf wmv xls xlsx xml zip

So as most phones create mp4 vid files, you need to convert to AVI, MPG etc. There's plenty of vid file conversion tools online

PS - love your work :-) just wish I had the time and that my garage was heated...

Old 12-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Default Denso testing for a stock turbo swap

So i spent the say data logging the denso under many configurations and stock the way it comes in an na car with some very small tweaks that ill post pics tomorrow its dark. Will work at wastegate pressure no problem... Surprisingly i took it up to 15psi today and ill be damned the ignition maps seem almost identical to my data logging an me7.. But with a better timing map if you ask me. its about a 3-4 degree more advanced up above 4500rpm on boost. Do keep in mind all these tests so far have been done with a14t. Afrs have been great and im only hitting 25% on my ltft @15psi so theres room to grow still. I cant speak for over 15psi on the denso but if i had to take a geuss id say they made this for the turbo cars and na cars then bosch out bid them on the turbo contract its the olny explanation i can think of. We will see what it does on the dyno sometime soon along with a comparison against the me7 and me9 and ill try to squeeze as much power out of each stock ecu as i can.

On a side note i found the denso to be very similar to the subie ecu so i might be able to get a cobb working on it pretty easy the me7 is gonna take time same for the me9 unless someone has a head start and wants to help the community.

Quick Reply: Going turbo some questions