Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

HELP ** I Want To Join The T-5 Crowd **

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ** I Want To Join The T-5 Crowd **

Hi:

I'm new to the forum and I'm the market for an S70 T5. So after studying 10 pages on this forum, I've come up with a list of questions to ask before I make my purchase.

Based on my research, it seems like the three major issues to look out for are:

1) Timing belt replacement / Pulleys(70k interval)
2) Evaporator (I still don't know what this is)
3) Strut mount replacement is an added bonus

Some of the minor issues I've noticed:

- ABS Module
- MAF
- Misc. Hoses

Here are my questions:

1) What are the warranty details on a 98 T-5? Is it 10 yr, 100,000 miles?
2) What is an Evaporator, what does it do? I've read it's a $1200 replacement item.
3) I would like to confirm a 98 does not have an ETM (I've read this is a good thing)
4) Based on the recall page, it seems like only the turn signals had a recall. Confirm?
5) What else would you recommend I keep an eye on?

Details of the car I'm looking at:

** I will be looking at a 1998 T-5 with approx 85,000 miles ** the owner has a folder full of receipts, original owner, and sounds like it's in great shape.

Issues I am aware of:

- light scratches, oxidation on the spoiler, problems with power window (one of them has to be operated manually), leather has some cracks.

Nothing major.

Last question for now:

It seems like bluebook valuefor this car is around $7500-$8000. The owner is listing the vehicle for almost $2k below bluebook. His reason is "looking for a quick sale" This is throwing up some red flags, hopefully I am just coming across a good deal. But it's made me cautious.

I know this is a long post, but I hope the members on this forum can help me out. Thank you in advance.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: HELP ** I Want To Join The T-5 Crowd **

1. Timing belts need to be replaced nonetheless that isn't a big issue.

2. An Evaporator I have no clue where it is or what it does. Hopefully TECH can answer that.

3. Strut mounts are good to replace anyways, so just do it.

------

1. Warranty details? I don't think there is going to be any warranty from Volvo on the car. I could be wrong.

2. "An Evaporator I have no clue where it is or what it does. Hopefully TECH can answer that."

3. 98's do not have an ETM (Electronic Throttle Module), these are found in 99+ models. And yes it is a good thing you don't have one in a 98 model.

4. I cannot confirm this, but you can cal Volvo and ask them.

5. I would keep an eye out for CV Joints, Sway Bar Endlinks, upgrade your vaccum hoses to silicone one and upgrade your turbo hoses to silicone ones. If you do a full STAGE ZERO you will be pretty sure to fix a lot of minor issues with your car. Look for STAGE ZERO in the PINNED threads. One of the links goes to Volvospeed, use that one. Thank you

I would be a little concerned that he is selling it for $2k under BlueBook value. I would have a Volvo certified Mech look over the car and also do a CarFax report on it.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

I would keep an eye out for CV Joints, Sway Bar Endlinks, upgrade your vaccum hoses to silicone one and upgrade your turbo hoses to silicone ones. If you do a full STAGE ZERO you will be pretty sure to fix a lot of minor issues with your car. Look for STAGE ZERO in the PINNED threads. One of the links goes to Volvospeed, use that one. Thank you
Thank you for your useful input. I'll check out what a Stage Zero is. Hopefully the Carfax is clean and I will be taking the car to a Volvo dealership for a PPI.

TECH: pls. provide some input. Thank you.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:47 PM

S70driver:

I ran a search for "Stage Zero"...nothing.

Where are the "Pinned Threads?" I'm still getting used to the layout of this forum. Also checked out Volvospeed, but again, new site, hard to navigate.

Can you include the link for info on what a Stage Zero is?

Thank you.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: OvloV 13

S70driver:

I ran a search for "Stage Zero"...nothing.

Where are the "Pinned Threads?" I'm still getting used to the layout of this forum. Also checked out Volvospeed, but again, new site, hard to navigate.

Can you include the link for info on what a Stage Zero is?

Thank you.
It is truely simple to see the PINNED threads. At the top of each forum there are threads, that say TOP in BOLD. Those are what PINNED threads on VolvoForums look like. On Volvospeed PINNED threads say PINNED before the thread title. They are also at the top of each forum.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:18 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

1.Timing belt Very important.

2.Evaperator is what makes the cold air inside the car.
The evaperator gets cold and the inside fan pulls air across the evaperator.

Warranty was 4 year 50,000 miles for the 1998 S70.

The recall was for turn signal sockets.
If you want to know if there is an open recall contact local dealer with the Vin# and they can run it and tell you if there is any open recalls.

1998 was the last year before the ETM came.
In my opinion the 1998 S70 was the best year made.

check all other suspension and every thing else good.
3.Strut mounts are very common and aren't all that bad to replace.