Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Help removing door panel.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help removing door panel.

Hi all, first post here as I just purchased a used 1999 s70 a few weeks ago. I have a problem with the front passenger door, however, in that it will not lock at all. I tried to remove the door panel one night, and it may have been that it was just too late to be tinkering or I might be missing something, but I couldn't get it all the way off. I could pry it off all around and found one screw that needed to be taken out, but the panel was still fastened to something which seemed to be around the area of the interior door handle...So I was wondering if you all might have any tips for me or if you might know of a place on the internet that provides pictures/steps to removing it.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:16 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Help removing door panel.

The trim ring around the door handle needs to come off.
It latches in to the Handle which stays on the door. Pull down and out from the top of the ring.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:28 AM

awesome, thank you so much, that did the trick!

if you have time, i have another question...once i got the door panel off, i noticed there are two studs passing through slotted openings...what is the best way to adjust those two studs in the slotted opening? thanks again.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Why do you want to adjust them?

Old 08-02-2006, 11:26 PM

well...we sort of took them off trying to remove the metal plate[sm=headbang.gif] (it was stuck and we couldnt figure out on what), but then, realizing that it didnt need to come off at all to get to the locking mechanism, we figured they were adjustments of some sort since they were slotted. just wondering if it was something we needed to concern ourselves with, as we were unsure if by taking them off we messed up some adjustment that was made with the window...

Old 08-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Try to look for the Washer marks and tighten the Nuts back up.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:49 AM

ok sweet! thanks a lot for the help

Old 08-04-2006, 06:42 PM

again, i would like to say thanks for the quick help...i typed this document up to keep if the problem came up again in the future (when i will have probably forgotten all the steps), so i figured i'd post it here and maybe it might help someone else having similar problems...

Volvo S70 – Replacing door lock mechanism

1. Close window.
2. Remove bezel surrounding inside door handle. It is very difficult to remove. A stout pry tool works well.
3. Remove plastic cover in arm rest and remove hidden screw.
4. Pry door panel off keeping in mind there are electrical connections to the door panel. Lift door panel vertically up to unhook door panel where the glass enters the door.
5. Unplug two electrical connectors that plug into controls on door panel. Note that the lock will not operate electrically when these two plugs are disconnected.
6. Place door panel to the side.
7. Unscrew four screws holding inside door handle to door.
8. On inside door handle flip plastic catch and remove cable.
9. Remove black or white plastic cover near back of door where cable enters door.
10. Snake cable into door.
11. Unlatch and remove manual lock.
12. From rear of door remove two exposed screws which mount the car lock mechanism. The two screws under the plastic cover fasten the exterior door handle which can remain in place.
13. For rear door only, from rear of door remove the screw that fastens the bottom of the window guide. It is not possible to achieve step 14 with this window guide fastened in place.
14. Twist door lock mechanism on vertical axis towards exterior as far as it can in order to get piece from behind window guide.
15. Remove the two electrical plugs from door lock mechanism. Press the spring clips while unplugging. (When replacing, simply push the plug into place. The springs will snap to lock the plug.)
16. Remove door lock mechanism from door.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the write up!!