Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Help s70 timing belt was done but not the tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help s70 timing belt was done but not the tensioner

Hi everyone,

I bought a used 1998 S70 in Sept 2010 with 103k. Great condition...

I'm getting ready to do a tuneup on the car.

I have service records for the car and the belt was done at 103k by the Volvo dealer I bought it from.

I just found out the tensioner wasn't... why would a volvo dealer sales manager ok a timing belt change without ok'ing a tensioner pulley too ?

I was told by another local volvo mechanic I should have this done because its like driving a timebomb - if the tensioner goes - the timing belt will snap and a seized engine as a result.

Any ideas ? Or what recourse do I have.

I am in the northeast pennsylvania area.

Thanks- I hope I get a response soon. I'm kinda of worried.

BP

Old 02-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Normally would recommend changing out the pulleys and tensioner every other timing belt change; so you're fine. And even then you could get by with just replacing the pulleys; the (hydraulic) tensioner should go 200K easy IMO.

I would more concerned about the pulleys; keep an eye on them; if they start oozing grease, making noise, or if you have to do H2O pump in near future, would want to do the pulleys at that time. Good luck.

Also, find another volvo tech; that guy's trying to scare the $$$ out of you!

BTW: congrats on your purchase; '98 MY was the best for S70 IMO!

Old 02-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Thumbs up I get it now...but

OK - thanks for the reply. Very Helpful.

Nuts and bolts as follows: spoke to 2 different Volvo Service Managers since yesterday.

First one said do it right away according to Volvo Specs the two need to be done at the same time...

Second one said (from the dealer I purchased from) on the 98's the tensioner system is mechanical not hydraulic. Protocol is to inspect the system when changing the timing belt----if it still has spring to it, then do not change it out but will recommend changing it upon the second change out of timing belt when that time comes.

That previous statement echoes your posts sentiments.

Volvo specs 140k tbelt change----I imagine thats when those pulleys and the tensioner should be done too. So, I guess as soon as I'm able I'm going to have it done anyway for peace of mind.

First Volvo tech spec'd 600.00 for parts and laber-tensioner/pulleys.

Conflicting opinions tell me better safe than sorry.

Anyone know a good mech in Northeast Pa?

I'm all ears.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:48 AM

When you say Northeast PA, where exactly do you mean? I know a great mechanic in Quakertown, but that would be a long drive depending on where you are.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Most '98 models have the hydraulic tensioner. You can pull the cover and look at it. The hydraulic tensioner looks like the photo below.

If it were me, I would have changed those 13 year old parts (hind sight). I did not have them changed on my T-5R, 14 year old parts with 79k on them. Not a real big deal unless they are tight, loosing grease, or start making noise. I really don't think a mechanic at the stealer would have put those old parts on without making sure the rollers, tensioner, etc. was in good shape. They just would not risk that stuff breaking to soon. They would have to pick up the cost of the motor repair.

Most mechanics do everything because they don't know the history and they'd rather be safe than sorry. I just did all of my daughters parts on our S70 but the tensioner, tensioner roller and ideler roller were fine. They must have been replaced within the last 30k, when the belt was done. I recommend replacing everything except the water pump every other replacement or 10 years. I only do leaking water pumps.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Default tensioner/mechanic NE PA

Hello, I have been looking for a good indie in the greater Allentown area and I think I have located 2...West End Sales, Walbert Ave and VCOA lists one in Easton (youd have to check their site for the name)...I have had good expieriences at Brown Daub Volvo in Nazareth, dont know where your located but hope this helps