Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

My newish 98 S70 T5 SE Standard

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My newish 98 S70 T5 SE Standard

Bought this Volvo about 2 weeks ago for $4200 and since that time I've put on just over 1300km. I'm a mobile security officer so I spend excessive amounts of time inside my vehicles. Since I can't stand being watched while at work I got 5% tinting on all the windows, the windshield is currently cracked so I'm going to wait until I can afford a new windshield and HID lights before I get it tinted.
From what I have figured out about the car it was purchased a by a corporation and driven by an executive until 2002 (odometer reading around 183,000km). From what I gather the car was parked for about 8-9 years, it was then purchased by a chain smoker who probably never did anything more for the car then buy fuel. Somebody probably didn't like one of the previous owners because there is a key mark that goes along the whole drivers side.
Love the black on black, heated leather/suede seats are awesome. Drivers seat is starting to show some wear, passengers seat is pretty good, back seats are just about perfect, obviously never seen kids.
Previous owner put cigarette burns onto the headliner, the drivers door, the panel under the hand brake, and the carpet just below the drivers floor mat I hate smokers.
All in all its a very strong running car that needs some tlc.

Ordered the Big brake kit from FCP Groton, cost me $610, shipping to Canada included. Still waiting on the the brakes to arrive, hopefully Monday.

Car needs both trailing arm bushings.

Info **** doesn't work, so I am going to pull the **** off and and see if the contacts are bad.

Top engine mount is cracked and has some movement, so I assume all the engine mounts should be done.

Wires and distributor cap look old so I'll have to do the plugs/wires/dist. cap sooner or later, engine has a bit of a hesitation at the higher rpms.

Engine has a tapping noise that seems to come and go, so I'll be putting in the oil pump gasket kit from FCP Groton. Anyone else buy parts from FCP Groton?

Previous owner messed up the front bumper, and I am missing both headlight wipers and arms. I am going to have to Fiberglass the front bumper anyway, and I am thinking it might be better to remove the headlight wipers all together. Are there any S70 drivers out there that actually use the headlight wipers? Or should I buy the arms and wipers?

Going to fix the cigarette burns sooner or later...

Anyway I took some pictures of the car, and some of the damage. I do all my own repairs, that are possible to do my self, so I will be documenting my repairs on this forum.

What do you guys think of the car?
http://tonyclifton.imgur.com/volvo_s70_t5_se <---- Link to images

Edit-Images too large, linked to external website for easier viewing.

-Tony

Last edited by TonyClifton; 02-05-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Images too large, linked to external website for easier viewing.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Those are some big pics, hard to see them.

The car looks a little beat up but it can be restored pretty easily.

The headlight wipers work when you wash the windshield. Other than that, have a compression test done to see if the engine has excessive wear before you put anything into it. Sometimes these motors tick when they are cold and have not been started for a while. It should not be a daily thing.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey i've got a set of s70 foglights in good condition if you want them. I'll send pics if you like.